How long will my Aurion last?

What is the service life of a Toyota Aurion?
I have a 2008 GSV40R series, Touring variant, with 215K on the odo. It has been regularly serviced every 10K and all the upgrades carried out (including sticky dash replacement). The transmission oil was changed at 140K.

I am reluctant to dispose of it, as it is running faultlessly. It still has loads of power and runs on ULP or E10 fuel OK. I have noted that the water pump may cause trouble at around 200K. However my serviceman has regularly changed the coolant at the recommended periods.

Redbook tells me that the trade price is $3400-$5000.

Moving up to an GSV50 series, with low mileage may make me feel better or an alternative late model large sedan which is under 5 years old. (I am not into SUV’s). I will then have a vehicle with some extra safety features, and lots of other gimmicks as well. However I am now onto the depreciation treadmill again.

How long will my Aurion last? 300K? 400K? Or do I just continue to drive it until something major expires, sell it to a wrecker, and start all over again? What do members think?

Edited by nswnotill
Typo

I have been thinking the same questions. My 2006 Aurion ATX has close to 198K and is also running faultlessly. I am expecting my Aurion to last until 400K before any major engine repairs may become necessary. This is solely based upon what an ex-Toyota dealership person who was working at SuperCheap told me.

I do not thrash my vehicle and drive smoothly. More guilty of over-servicing which I am reviewing and changing.

My immediate replacement vehicle [sitting in the back yard] is a 2008 Aurion Prodigy with close to 110K if the unexpected/unwanted happens.

Like yourself, I thought about moving up to the GSV50 series but also not interested in the depreciation treadmill.

One GSV40R approaching 150k and one GSV50R with ~52k on the clock in the family. Serviced properly they'll likely last a long time. I don't know what your car is like service-wise, but if I were you and the car is faultless I'd service and run it 'til it dies. Depreciation at that odo means nothing. Unless, of course, you want to fork out for a newer car. GSV50R is nice, better handling and interior, but I find the driving position in GSV40R better. Bottom line, take care of it and enjoy it, and it'll take care of you :)

L.E. After reading your post again I think you should book your car in for another transmission fluid change. I wouldn't leave the juice in there for more than 40-50k. Get 3 4l drums of Penrite on sale and flush it. If you haven't changed the oil strainer at the 140k service, do this too.

Edited by AurionX2

I have a GSV40R in the family, it's pretty much our go everywhere car. It's done close to 230k now and wasn't exactly taken care off, but it still drives like brand new other than what seems to be one of the shocks on the front wheels. I feel like I'll get rust problems on this car before any mechanical issues occur. Probably worth noting that I run the car on 95.

2007, atx 239 000km. No leaks, no mechanical problems. I have replaced lots of suspension to make it how I like a car to be but no water pump, alternator... replacements. Have drained atf three times and added spin on filter like a canister oil filter, engine oil at about 7 - 8000 km intervals, try to be gentle as it warms up. Im hoping to make 300,000km. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A friend's mum just got rid of hers which had around 350,000km on it. The reason is because it started burning oil (blue smoke). I was also told that she very rarely serviced it which was ultimately it's demise. I would say the engine, if properly serviced, could make around half a mill, easy. 

1 hour ago, DJScope said:

she very rarely serviced it which was ultimately it's demise.

What has most likely happened is lots of oil sludge which has ultimately caused the blue smoke. When it starts to block oil circulation, Oil sludge is an engine killer.

Best preventative measure is regular oil and filter changes.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

What has most likely happened is lots of oil sludge which has ultimately caused the blue smoke. When it starts to block oil circulation, Oil sludge is an engine killer.

Best preventative measure is regular oil and filter changes.

I think it was piston rings. 

I change my oil & oil filter every 5000 kilometres, since new, had transmission serviced at 45K and to be done again at 90K, No leaks, have replaced coolant once, everything else still in engine bay as from factory.
Had the brake pads, and brake fluid at 75K, car only do 80K since new, My mechanic said you look after it very well, you have it for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/31/2018 at 3:51 PM, nswnotill said:

What is the service life of a Toyota Aurion?
I have a 2008 GSV40R series, Touring variant, with 215K on the odo. It has been regularly serviced every 10K and all the upgrades carried out (including sticky dash replacement). The transmission oil was changed at 140K.

I am reluctant to dispose of it, as it is running faultlessly. It still has loads of power and runs on ULP or E10 fuel OK. I have noted that the water pump may cause trouble at around 200K. However my serviceman has regularly changed the coolant at the recommended periods.

Redbook tells me that the trade price is $3400-$5000.

Moving up to an GSV50 series, with low mileage may make me feel better or an alternative late model large sedan which is under 5 years old. (I am not into SUV’s). I will then have a vehicle with some extra safety features, and lots of other gimmicks as well. However I am now onto the depreciation treadmill again.

How long will my Aurion last? 300K? 400K? Or do I just continue to drive it until something major expires, sell it to a wrecker, and start all over again? What do members think?

I have a Toyota Camry 2000, V6, 3L, manual trans. It is 22 years old now and 465,000 km on odo. Still running good. Two months ago I have bought Presara 2007 with a 169,300 on odo. Hope it will last another 10-15 years up to 500,000 km 

• Like 1

My 09' Presara has 102klms on the odo..bought it at 70,000, plan to keep it until gasoline cars are banned or I die first. Seen an Aurion online for sale 2 years ago with nearly 500,000 on it..owner said it was fine. Twice yearly oil changes and regular yearly logbook services, I think it'll go for many years..Also got the Water Pump replaced last year at a toyota dealer, just in case it failed on me during an interstate journey, of which I had been doing regulary these past few years..

Screenshot_20200214-172415_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/27/2022 at 1:42 PM, Bigmike62 said:

My 09' Presara has 102klms on the odo..bought it at 70,000, plan to keep it until gasoline cars are banned or I die first.

Good stuff Big Mike. I have no intention to sell ours. It's just too good to sell. I have little confidence in the current relaibility of vehicles, to sell ours and purchase new. Even Toyota has started to slip in the quality dept..

I'll hang onto mine until dinasoar juice runs out I think.

It's also funny to see how our used cars have also appreciated in value too. It's totally unheard of in previous times, but I guess anything is possible in this screwed up place we're in now. Crazy times.

• Like 3

Same for me, I love our 2009 Presara it has been a dream to own and still looks brand new outside and in. Same view as Tony not thinking about selling or trading in for something new. I put a lot of love into our "Faye" and in return she is a wonderful drive each and every time we manage to go for a cruise. And on top of that the fuel economy is fantastic in these very difficult days of horrendous fuel prices.

When your on a good thing stick with it,

KAA

• Like 1

I have been considering the question posed by this thread for quite sometime. The main factor is how well the vehicle is maintained based upon the driving conditions.

Following video by The Car Nut provides advice on how to make your Toyota last over 300K miles without major repairs.

I had previously made retirement plans based upon my 2 Aurions lasting beyond my driving years. I recently bought a Yaris [attractive offer] so it is now the weekend vehicle thus reducing some wear and tear on my main Aurion. Future plans for 2030 currently include considering an electric vehicle. Maybe then I may [eventually] let go of my Aurions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, campbeam said:

I have been considering the question posed by this thread for quite sometime. The main factor is how well the vehicle is maintained based upon the driving conditions.

Following video by The Car Nut provides advice on how to make your Toyota last over 300K miles without major repairs.

I had previously made retirement plans based upon my 2 Aurions lasting beyond my driving years. I recently bought a Yaris [attractive offer] so it is now the weekend vehicle thus reducing some wear and tear on my main Aurion. Future plans for 2030 currently include considering an electric vehicle. Maybe then I may [eventually] let go of my Aurions.

How about converting a Aurion to full EV when the cost of conversion is more affordable?

11 hours ago, Speedz said:

How about converting a Aurion to full EV when the cost of conversion is more affordable?

Certainly food for thought. Quite likely that someone may release a conversion kit for the Camry. Then it may become more of an affordable option to consider when the engine and transmission have expired. At the moment, some enthusiasts have converted some classic cars to being EV under the hood.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:01 AM, campbeam said:

Certainly food for thought. Quite likely that someone may release a conversion kit for the Camry. Then it may become more of an affordable option to consider when the engine and transmission have expired. At the moment, some enthusiasts have converted some classic cars to being EV under the hood.

The conversion cost at the moment are pretty unaffordable hopefully come 10-15 years time it might come down enough for some of us, I can only see positives since a lot of us maintain our cars properly anyway. 

• Like 1