CONFIRMED NEWS REPORT!!

MAP81

I've just been on the phone to my father in tears. Think what you may about him, but he inspired so much in my father, my godfather and myself and so many others. His work in the community was brilliant also.

A beer for you tonight Brocky. GFRLF.

Unconfirmed reports that Racing Legend Peter Brock may have been killed in a Targa Rally event in WA Today.

More to come...

UPDATE:

7 News Website

QUOTE:

Racing driver Peter Brock has died in a racing accident in Western Australia, the WA Police Major Crash Squad has confirmed.

The nine-times Bathurst 1000 winner was taking part in the Targa rally event in WA and involved one car, which crashed into a tree.

Brock was driving a 5.7 litre Chevrolet V8 Daytona sports car in the Targa race.

The 1150kg car was built as a modern interpretation of the 1965 Shelby Daytona, which dominated the World Sports Car Championship that year.

Brock's co-driver was to be Mick Hone, a Melbourne motorcycle dealer who was team manager for the Works Suzuki team in 2000.

UPDATE:

News Update

QUOTE:

Nine-times Bathurst 1000 winner and Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock has been killed while competing in the Targa West Tarmac Rally in Western Australia.

Brock was partnered by Mick Hone in the race and they were competing in a Daytona Coupe.

The West Australian Police Major Crash Squad has confirmed the car collided with a tree after coming off a road near Gidgegannup, in Perth's north-east.

The Targa West Rally began in Perth yesterday and takes place over four days and is divided into two categories - competition and challenge.

Brock was born in Melbourne in 1945 and dominated Australian motor sport for the past three decades.

His great-great-uncle, Henry James, was a founder of the RACV and organised Australia's first motor sport event - the 1905 Sydney to Melbourne reliability trial.

In 1969, the manager of the newly formed Holden Dealer Team, Harry Firth, gave Brock his break with an offer to drive at Bathurst in a Monaro GTS 350.

Brock won his first Bathurst title in 1972 driving solo in a Torana XU1.

He was nicknamed "Peter Perfect" and later became known as the "King of the Mountain" after his success in the endurance races at Bathurst.

In 1997, Brock retired from full-time V8 Supercar racing and launched the Peter Brock Foundation, which provides support to a wide range of community programs.

UPDATE:

Update Report (News.com.au)

QUOTE:

MOTOR racing legend Peter Brock has been killed in an accident while taking part in the Targa West rally in Western Australia, motor sport officials have confirmed.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said in a statement the accident occurred about 1.50pm (AEST).

Sixty-one-year-old Brock's co-driver, believed to Mick Hone, has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

CAMS said it would conduct a full investigation into the incident.

In the meantime, CAMS and event officials were working with the relevant civil authorities.

"On behalf of the motor sport community, CAMS offers its sincere sympathy to Peter's family and many friends," the statement said.

The circumstances of the accident remain unclear.

The Targa West takes place over four days and is divided into two categories, competition and challenge, the latter catering for relatively standard specification road cars.

The rally began in Perth yesterday.

Brock, from Melbourne, was married with three children.

In a stellar career, he became Australia's best known motor sport personality and a dominant figure in the sport.

More to come

I've just been on the phone to my father in tears. Think what you may about him, but he inspired so much in my father, my godfather and myself and so many others. His work in the community was brilliant also.

A beer for you tonight Brocky. GFRLF.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate.

I really dont know what to say right now. This is a huge loss for Australian Motorsport and Australia in general.

Sky News have received confirmation from WA police that Peter has been killed and his co driver seriously injured.

I just found out :(

I remember the thrill of being 9 and being taken for a ride in a VK Group 3/Group A.

I remember being 10 and getting to stand next to him at Sandown 500 before the race.

I always admired him as a driver regardless of what he was driving. If there is some sort of memorial cruise/rally - I'm on it.

Good Bye Peter Perfect, from a big fan.

I've just suggested on the AGT forums that if your car is dirty, go draw an "05" in the dirt to honour a great aussie hero... boyhood hero to a generation... whether you are a holden or a ford fan, love V8s or hate them this man was an inspiration...

the ultimate driver....fitting he goes down doing something he loves.....

I can't believe he's gone. I'm still in tears. His website is slow as buggery, methinks people are trying to access it.

I've just suggested on the AGT forums that if your car is dirty, go draw an "05" in the dirt to honour a great aussie hero... boyhood hero to a generation... whether you are a holden or a ford fan, love V8s or hate them this man was an inspiration...

the ultimate driver....fitting he goes down doing something he loves.....

Exactly what my father said mate. Good words.

I've never met Brocky, but I have had the immense pleasure of watching many of his racing exploits, and the even greater pleasure of being passengered as a teenager in my uncle's VK SS HDT Group 3 at rather more than sedate speeds.

Although I prefer Toyota's to own, and Falcons on the track, Brock will always be revered by this particular revhead.

RIP indeed, Brocky, you'll be missed by many ... :(

and the even greater pleasure of being passengered as a teenager in my uncle's VK SS HDT Group 3 at rather more than sedate speeds.

My first brock experience was a Torana SLR5000, with the Wide body kit fitted with 15 x 10's at the front and 15 x 9's at the rear.

My second was a Group 3/Group A ( Cosmetically a softer looking group three but mechanically the harder charging Group A)

Always been hooked on V8's since.

No it can't be. I am a mad keen Brocky supporter even had a two door '71 6cylinder Torana as my first car. Could not afford a GTR - XU1.

He was a really good driver and well respected (except for that magnet crap) he will be missed.

RIP Brocky

Man this is a sad week. :(

For me this week it was sad too as Don Chipp past away. He was keeping the basteds honest although a lot of you may not know what good in the 70's and 80's political landscape.

Motorsport in Aus will never be the same again. RIP Brocky

Be safe everyone :blink:

I've had the pleasure and will never forget meeting the legend Peter Brock on about 5 different occasions. I have the upmost respect for the man for what he has achieved and how he goes about his business. nothing was ever too much trouble for him and he was happy to sit and sign autographs for hours on end as I just sttod there after getting stuff signed and observed the manner of the legend and how he greeted everyone with respect.

All my signed posters and other bits and pieces now hold even more value to me and prolly to others as well.

REST IN PEACE KING OF THE MOUNTAIN......