A few other INTAKES

I was looking through Ebay and came across these CAI.

Blitz SUS power intake

Blitz LM intake

Apexi power intake

Its through QJP and it seems he has dropped his shipping price to Australia now to $65!!!!!! for these smaller packages. Pricewise they seem ok

Hope its not a repost

Edited by JAZE55

Theres always this debate about SRI being not as good. But why do all the JAP cars on best motoring run SRI, is it due to the colder weather in japan????

Has anyone dynoed there car with a SRI, was there any increase in power. Im thinking of being different and getting the apexi kit. Ive seen a thread of someone here who has this, and he said there was a noticable increase in power from 4000rpm up. Plus its cheaper than a CAI :P :P . I can always duct some pipe into the engine bay i guess for cold air

Theres always this debate about SRI being not as good. But why do all the JAP cars on best motoring run SRI, is it due to the colder weather in japan????

Has anyone dynoed there car with a SRI, was there any increase in power. Im thinking of being different and getting the apexi kit. Ive seen a thread of someone here who has this, and he said there was a noticable increase in power from 4000rpm up. Plus its cheaper than a CAI :P :P . I can always duct some pipe into the engine bay i guess for cold air

I was thinking of the Apexi one as an option as well. It's cheaper, and my 1ZZ isn't gonna be a rocketship with a real CAI anyway. The only problem is losing power - we don't want that. But Negatron (I think) posted an interesting read in General Discussions last week that (basically) said SRI's aren't all that bad. To quote Dylan though, nothing cold about the air going in, just an increase in the volume of air entering I'd imagine.

So now it's between the Shift Performance CAI ~ $350

and the Apexi SRI ~ $250

just an increase in the volume of air entering I'd imagine.

and the Apexi SRI ~ $250

Colder air is more dense, so if the volume is the same, (why should it be less if they both have the same diameter pipe?) you are getting more molecules of air into the engine to burn...

The difference is in throttle response. With the SRI there is a small dead space to activate when the throttle is opened. The larger dead space in the CAI pipe means you get a slight reduction in the throttle response, though IMHO it's not that noticable.

just an increase in the volume of air entering I'd imagine.

and the Apexi SRI ~ $250

Colder air is more dense, so if the volume is the same, (why should it be less if they both have the same diameter pipe?) you are getting more molecules of air into the engine to burn...

No no no the SRI takes in more air than the stock airbox, not more than the CAI. I was talking about increase over stock, both take in more air than the stock box, I should have made it clearer

So final outcome: SRI - more air flow compared stock, slight throttle response (minor) advantage over CAI

CAI - more air flow compared to stock, air is cooler, hence air is more dense which is the advantage over SRI

Edited by Tayles

CAI is a silly concept in itself.

Have you considered how got throttle bodies get? Considering they're right above all the workings in the engine bay, weather the air is cold or not makes no difference, as it just heats up as soon as it passes through the throttle body.Get a induction pipe, and feel how hot it is even after a few minutes of driving! Its hot!!

My point is a short ram will do just as good a job as a full TRD kit, but TRD gear is covered under toyota warranty as it is a toyota OEM part. Food for thought....

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

Test on some top name Filters.

CAI have been proven to gain more Kw's then SRI's

My CAI piping never gets hot? lol

SRI will give beter response compared to the CAI caus shorter piping.

and the ones above i wouldnt even call them sri, they just a Pod type air filter. technically lol. but whatever all same thing

one no pipe, well if u wanna call that bracket a pipe okai, then one has a longer pipe, and one has a long schlong that goes to the front bar lol

Edited by vyets

Black200 I do like your thinking and it definitely provides a stronger argument for the SRI (which I like 'cos it's also cheaper)

The article that Negatron posted didn't mention this (either that or I don't remember it being mentioned).

What does everyone else think??

Perhaps this is an issue that borders on personal opinion rather than physical evidence

Edited by Tayles

SRI = better throttle response , better low end - minimal KW gains

CAI = better high end gains

...I think... >_<;;

...there are dyno charts about this, u know... .. some where here *note the 1zzfe comparison from Northy's cai vs no cai & TRD filter vs KN Filter B)

Edited by RME1

HMmm...

Thought my little article posted would stir something.

I've run both SRIs for various descriptions and a CAI for my rolla.

End of the day?

CAI wins hands down.

The article talked about the pros and cons of of the sri and yes the maths was solid and the sri does seems not as bad as we all thought.

But.... look at the cai used in the rolla. we are not talking about meters of extra piping with lots of bends.

whatever you gain in throttle response in a SRi for the rolla you loose in the mid to high end.

Take the plunge, get a CAI, you won't regret it.

for more interesting reading.

read this series on negative boost.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_0629/a...?popularArticle

it will give more insight into air flow restrictions.

SRI = better throttle response , better low end - minimal KW gains

CAI = better high end gains

...I think... >_<;;

...there are dyno charts about this, u know... .. some where here *note the 1zzfe comparison from Northy's cai vs no cai & TRD filter vs KN Filter B)

Thanks RME1 I like those odds Northy's 1ZZ dyno output

Negatron's input also gives a CAI good credentials for the 1ZZ compared to SRI.

I was always swinging towards CAI... This is worth discussing though

Have you considered how got throttle bodies get? Considering they're right above all the workings in the engine bay, weather the air is cold or not makes no difference, as it just heats up as soon as it passes through the throttle body.Get a induction pipe, and feel how hot it is even after a few minutes of driving! Its hot!!

My point is a short ram will do just as good a job as a full TRD kit, but TRD gear is covered under toyota warranty as it is a toyota OEM part. Food for thought....

its not a silly concept imo

sucking air thats a few degrees cooler is still better than no cooling effect

Cheers Tayles, Negatron's link is great reading, i just finished reading it and my mind is a buzz on how many air flow improvements i can make with The Goose :toast: - i've already destroyed a set of fog light covers :whistling:

CAI's are worth every penny - a great cataylst for driver enjoyment (i.e. +3500rpm) :toast: Practicallity wise, i find that in stop start traffic, i get a lag effect for throttle response, as the time taken for the air to pass to the throttle bodies takes that wee second longer (which really means people like to cut in front of you :o ...i can live with that, i'll just get them back later :spiteful: ) - not to mention it's economy improvements too :yahoo: $_$ damn straight, i've actually gained better fuel economy with a CAI :D ...maybe a leaner running engine?

CAI's are worth every penny - a great cataylst for driver enjoyment (i.e. +3500rpm)

Exactly right dude, all I'm after is that gorgeous induction sound.... mmmmmm.

At the end of the day us 1ZZ drivers want a car that looks and sounds the part, 'cos we ain't gonna be winning many races :lol:

CAI's are worth every penny - a great cataylst for driver enjoyment (i.e. +3500rpm)

Exactly right dude, all I'm after is that gorgeous induction sound.... mmmmmm.

At the end of the day us 1ZZ drivers want a car that looks and sounds the part, 'cos we ain't gonna be winning many races :lol:

I find traffic lights are a great invention that levels the whole playing field :toast: I mean, we all know that there are some drivers, that have those 'power at ur finger tips' cars that will accelerate ahead of u no matter what, even though the lights ahead of you are red, and they brake full pelt last minute....only to have u to pass them cuase ur smart enough to 'manage' ur power, leaving them behind hearing

"BRrrrrrrGOOOORrrrrrr!!!!" :whistling:

I say for those CAI skeptics to rock up to a meet, and hitch a ride in a Rolla - 1zzffe or lift styles and see/hear for themselves - heck, i was a non believer once...then i rocked up to Dyno day - saw BangN's ride, saw the dyno charts between cai and non cai, caught a bit of 'lift' and there u go... The Goose - if she can suck, why not urs? :lol:

Also it's a nice combination of 1. Rice 2. Bling 3. Kaisen all rolled into one (for definitions, see Glossary) :clap:

If you have a CAI pipe that is thermal coated it doesn't get hot :D Anybody who has touched a TRD CAI over a CAI that has the pipe thermal coated will notice the drastic heat reduction retained in the pipe.

Doesn't the throttle body coolant bypass mod supposedly helps to cool the air entering the throttle body ?

I thought the air would be travelling at such high velocity, that there wouldn't be enough time to heat the air up...

Wow, so much on intakes o.0 ... here's my 2 cents...

Rolla recently got converted from CAI to SRI and in MY case, SRI made a pretty good difference. The engine is faster across the whole range and exhaust note sounds a bit better (possibly because the engine is less choked now ? If in neutral the car does idle at close to 2000rpm).

Initially, the CAI setup was as follows...

- blocked off the old/normal intake area

- cut open the front half of the resonator box so the intake point was there instead

- three holes were also cut on the bottom of the airbox and tubes were connected to these holes.

- two tubes led to the front of the bumper

- one tube led to just under the floorpan of the car

- the throttle body and piping etc were mostly insulated against heat by heat resistant foam

Few days ago, switched to an SRI (very very short one actually), but left all the intake points of the original CAI setup, and have sort of boxed in the pod to suck air from all the old intake points and surrounding coolish area of the engine bay.

For me, the conclusion was it gave better performance across the whole rpm range that was quite noticeable. For the record, the old CAI setup was a hug improvement over the stock factory setup.