Number Plate Vibration

selyaT

Are you "totally addicted to bass"?

If so, list your methods of reducing number plate vibration, especially in the hatch.

Some suggestions I've been given:

- A folded up piece of The Daily Telegraph

- Double sided tape

- Velcro

Any takers??

I would recommend the double sided tape. MAyby use the double sided tape with some newspaper to make it more thicker to totally stop the movement.

wait i dont get it, where do you put the newspaper?

useless without pics :)

I believe you would put it behind the number plate wout of sight.

But you would have to use stickytape or somthing so it wont fall off.

My nephew has two 15's in his VY, the way we resolved his number plate rattle was we cut up an old tyre inner tube to make a rectangle rubber mat, then with double sided tape attached this to where the number plate goes, and then placed the number plate over it as per normal.

Thanks for all your suggestions fellas, I guess I'll do some experimenting and report back.

...damn I was at ***** Smith today actually

Edit: that is meant to say "D!ck"

Edited by Tayles

Hi all

I've had the same issue and I've found the best and least destructive idea I came up with was foam.

I work in the IT industry so many things comes packaged in anti static bags and foam.

This foam is the best thing around I recond.. just loosen the plates slightly, slip in about double the thickness of the gap needed (depends how tough the foam you have is) and as you tighten your plates it squashes it down and you don't even know any thing is there, looks 100% the same only diference is that you don't have vibrations or scratches any more :D

Chers :clap:

Fudge

Excellent work guys, cheers.

I've gone for double sided tape for the moment as I had some handy from when I put the eyelids on. When I have more than 5 mins I'll give some other methods a try, perhaps even a combination of a few. With the tape the vibration is no longer audible inside the car but it still vibrates on the outside (as one would suspect) so I won't stop 'til the problem is completely solved!

• 4 weeks later...

How did you go with this James? Were you able to get rid of the exterior vibration all together?

Btw, does anyone know if those licence plate covers with the little bits of padding on the back stop the vibration either?

:idea: Im pretty sure you can get lengths of soft foam from bunnings, that has one side thats sticky.

There about 2cm wide x 2cm thick, I've known people to use it for doors on houses that knock with the wind.

How did you go with this James? Were you able to get rid of the exterior vibration all together?

Btw, does anyone know if those licence plate covers with the little bits of padding on the back stop the vibration either?

:idea: Im pretty sure you can get lengths of soft foam from bunnings, that has one side thats sticky.

There about 2cm wide x 2cm thick, I've known people to use it for doors on houses that knock with the wind.

Brandon most of the vibration was happening between the number plate and the body of the car, the double sided tape took care of that but now what's left is the vibration between the outside of the numberplate and the two bolts... Think I need some washers or something as someone else said. Also there are probably a few peices inside the actual tailgate that rattle around too... You know, like parts of the latch or handle, for instance.

And Rollin Black that's a great idea, I know exactly what you're talking about, I might try that!

Edited by Tayles

Brandon most of the vibration was happening between the number plate and the body of the car, the double sided tape took care of that but now what's left is the vibration between the outside of the numberplate and the two bolts... Think I need some washers or something as someone else said. Also there are probably a few peices inside the actual tailgate that rattle around too... You know, like parts of the latch or handle, for instance.

And Rollin Black that's a great idea, I know exactly what you're talking about, I might try that!

For the screws dab a bit of silicone on them(someone you know is bound to have a tube in there shed), then fix them to the number plate. As for the inner rattels i guess you'd have to see what your playing with. good luck.

how much would it cost to seal up your boot properly?

reading helps before you ask,

cheers guyz

I always attack noise problems myself either with foam silicone or spong tape, about $20 for one of each of those 3 items, or you can pay someone $40 an hour to do it. do it your self i say, it leaves more mony for cds :)

Just don't turn your stereo up so loud!!!! Problem solved :P

In all seriousness, some double sided tape does the trick for me, but I dont have massive bass either, just a clarion 12" running off a 300w pioneer amp.

JC

Edited by -JC-

I actually found tightening up the number plate screws helped too.,...

If you've done that, then yeah, foam off the roall from bunnungs...about $4 a roll I think from memory