Vibrating internal noise from '05 Sportivo

Hi Guys,

I am hearing a rattling noise which sounds like it is coming from the passenger left hand side lower dash or front end.

At first I thought it was the loose cd covers and sunglasses I had in the glove box but once I took those out the rattling noise continued.

I have a feeling that it could be the left hand side wheel arch plastic underguard with one of the button clips missing. Im not 100% sure on this though :unsure:

The rattling noise dosent occur all the time, it is noticable when shifting between 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears at around 2500rpm.

I would appreciate anyones feedback, recommendations and suggestions as im wanting to resolve

this asap since its driving me crazy! :angry:

Cheers

I suffer from the same rattling noise in my tivo as well, though sounds more like one thin metal pipe rubbing up against the firewall, I still havent tracked it down, but it is intermittent at low revs upto and including 4000 rpm

this will be something I will get toyota to sort out, or when I get the s**ts enough to go and spend time looking for it, and thats getting close to that point now, its the only rattle I need to worry about it.

but its at that pitch thats really annoying to me.

and its not only the right hand side kik panel that does it like that guy rekons!its comes from all those lug type screws so any of them could come loose and vibrate ,what i did was silicone them so looks stock and can be opened when i need,by the way my left side kik panel was the lil c unt making the noise

I have a rattle in the sportivo too...I hate it. Occurs at approx 2300rpm in every gear...but disappears past that. Its somewhere in the dash board on the drivers side, going to rip out alot of things this coming summer and sound proof the whole thing.

Also I have a constant whine coming from the transmission, whether in gear or out. Its the only thing that is making the whole car noisy. When the car is at the traffic lights its quiet compared to my conquest corolla, but once the car is in motion its more noiser. My friend and his dad (mechanic) went for a drive in my car and they said its normal and could possibly be the tires...I'm not convinced until someone else has the same noise in their ride :ph34r:

Cheers

when i first got my car there was a strange sound from the engine and toyota had a look and found that the tensioner assembly was faulty and replaced it and they said they all have this problem!the sound was at idle like a ratttling or tapping

hahaha!!! part and parcel for owning a sportivo :) the rattles begins the day when it is delivered to you... a lot of us have spend hrs and hrs in search of mystery rattles... at the end of the day, as i was advised when i first got the car "Blast that music of yours and you will be fine :P "

Thanks heaps for all your feedback guys however I do have an update on this rattling issue.

The rattling is definately not gear box related. The rattling noise occurs even when in neutral and when rev'd inbetween 2500-3000 rpm. Any lower or higher than this the rattle is not heard.

I tried to pin point where this crazy rattle is coming from (quite hard when doing this on ur own!) and put my ear where I could. I found the noise is coming from within the cabin, left hand side, rear of the dash towards the windscreen and around the bottom of the upper windscreen frame.

I thought it could be perhaps something within the windscreen air con vents or even the passenger side airbag but i am yet to look into the side kick panels also.

When i first got the car no rattles existed but after a while of 'hard' driving it has become more evident

The rattling only happens when i drive LONGISH distances meaning more than 10 ks or so - possibly once the car is really warm??

My noise starts at around 3300 RPM and goes all the way up to 8100

I’m hopefully going to be buying an AEM CAI very soon - would that have any effect on either diminishing the rattling / making it more evident

Well, my car has got the same rattles behind the dash/console area that it has had since dat dot. No amount of Toyota's efforts has fixed it. I am now on my 3rd set of selector cables, they have been zip tied, coated, wrapped, and lord knows what else, and the issue has never been resolved.

I will be using my days off work between christmas and new year to pull my dash apart and find these bleedin rattles because it doesnt take blind freddy to realise that the cables are not the issue.

Any Queensland peeps wanna volunteer to assist with this R&D event....

Stay tuned everyone else....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Was just wondering if anyone else have further info or feedback from this original thread?

I have viewed the previous posts relating to this same topic yet i'm still getting this damn rattle!

If anyone out there has had this some problem and have has any solutions or fixes that would be great :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

After searching the forums for this particular topic I didnt get to find my exact answer so I was hoping I could get more feedback from this new thread instead.

It seems I am having a constant vibrating noise coming from the passenger left side.

Even when the car is in idle you can hear the vibrating noise....kinda like a something is rattling in the glove box yet the noise sounds like it is coming from the air vents, dash, lower window/door frame.

When I applied my hand on the dash and its surrounding areas the vibrating noise had stopped.

Could this be the same issue where it's related to the foot rest kick panel by tightening those plastic screws? :unsure:

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers

:)

Edited by Cheeky Age

have a look at the plastic pop out screw on the bottom of the panel that the passengers right knee would rest on (at lest thats my technical description of that area). I had the EXACT same symptoms as what you described and I found that that screw was loose, allowing the panel to vibrate. Used to drive me nuts till i fixed it.

At least thats one of the rattles eliminated...

for me, i pulled the glove box out and one of the clips that holds the electrical loom to the chassis came loose and was vibrating. shoved it back into its hole and all was fixed!