what oil?

ATX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had this discussion a couple of times before. Most of the discussion that included particular brands are:

Oil Recommendations for Aurion 2008

Best engine oil?

Anyways:

I use Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10W30. It is a fully synthetic and I pick it up for about $39.95 per 5L at Super Cheap. I can't really justify paying double the amount for Mobil 1.

When it comes to brands, it's all personal preference really. Some people like to spend more for certain brands and/or reassurance, others like to get the best value. In my opinion, for the cost of the Fuchs oil mentioned above, I am highly satisfied. It may be a bit of a large guess on this one, but out of most of the people on the boards here, my Aurion probably gets the hardest driving day after day.

We have had this discussion a couple of times before. Most of the discussion that included particular brands are:

Oil Recommendations for Aurion 2008

Best engine oil?

Anyways:

I use Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10W30. It is a fully synthetic and I pick it up for about $39.95 per 5L at Super Cheap. I can't really justify paying double the amount for Mobil 1.

When it comes to brands, it's all personal preference really. Some people like to spend more for certain brands and/or reassurance, others like to get the best value. In my opinion, for the cost of the Fuchs oil mentioned above, I am highly satisfied. It may be a bit of a large guess on this one, but out of most of the people on the boards here, my Aurion probably gets the hardest driving day after day.

cool thanks

Just found a hidden gem if anyone's interested..

The Penrite SIN series is actually a Ester PAO oil (true synthetic) - similar to the Motul 300Vs...

and for $70 for 5 litres, makes this a bargain!

I'm going to be using that in both the Aurion and Civic...

• 7 months later...
Sorry to bring an old thread back. I went to super cheap auto and they didnt have TITAN SUPER GTO 10W-30. Any idea where in Melbourne I could get it. Maybe even 20L drum?

Your best bet would be to contact their head office in Melbourne and ask if you can buy directly from there or if not, where they supply to. Details can be found here:

http://www.fuchs.com.au/Locations_VIC.asp

Guys,

Some inside info from somebody in the industry.

All passenger vehicle synthetic motor oil from 10W/40 up is PAO synthetic. Anything below is Group III base oil.

Don't be fooled by different brands as the raw material in these oils are purchased from only a few suppliers in Australia and therefore offer the same level of performance.

Price and consumer preference is what it's all about and how well they market their product.

I'm fortunate not to have to purchase my motor oil, but if I had to I'd purchase any of the products mentioned here.

Regards, Toddy ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is it ok to use 5w40 oil in an Aurion? I know the 5w is fine but is the 40 too high for the engine?

I was at a Toyota mechanic yesterday(Parts, wreckers not the dealer) with my dad and he seen my car and he said the Aurions are nice cars, I asked is there any known problems with these cars if you ever get them to your workshop for problems, he said not really but he said to make sure to never put anything else other then 10W30 oil inside the car, something because of the engine being full aluminium or something, can't exactly remember.

So to be on the safe side and as Toyota recommends in the manual, just stick to 10W30 and nothing else.

Well finding a 10w30 around my area isn't so easy. There's plenty of 5w30 and 10w40.

5W30 will be perfectly fine. The recommended oil is 10W30, so if you stick to the recommendations, the first number can go as low as you want and the second number should remain at 30.

Well finding a 10w30 around my area isn't so easy. There's plenty of 5w30 and 10w40.

5W30 will be perfectly fine. The recommended oil is 10W30, so if you stick to the recommendations, the first number can go as low as you want and the second number should remain at 30.

Do you know what would happen to the engine if i used 5w40 oil?

Do you know what would happen to the engine if i used 5w40 oil?

Your engine may not lubricate well because the oil being too thick. I think it is always good to stick with the recommendation. However, as DJKOR mentioned "the first number can go as low as you want".

Everyone will have different opinions but personally I would like to use Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 :)

• 2 months later...

i prefer to go for mobil oils, but DJKOR's suggestion isn't bad either.

I'm on a little bit of doubt here now. Back when I first purchased Fuchs Titan Super GTO, it was marketed on their website and was stated on the bottle that it was a fully synthetic oil. A little bit of a while back, they changed the packaging and I never really thought of it except for the "hey, they have new packaging". An observation was brought up recently and I've noticed now as well that neither the website or the bottle states it is a fully synthetic oil anymore.

Personally, I haven't noticed any change in the oil visually, but it does make me wonder if it is still a fully synthetic. I have noticed that they have some other oils now that they market as their 'premium synthetic' such as the Titan GT1 SAE and Titan GT1 PRO C3, so it's got me wondering if:

1) They just stopped mentioning about the Titan Super GTO being a fully synthetic to draw more attention to the other oils, or

2) They have changed the composition of the Titan Super GTO to a synthetic blend.

I can't imagine them changing the composition just like that, but you never know.

I will probably end up calling them or stopping into one of their offices to have a chat to them, but in the meantime though, I'll still be using it. So far it has caused me no issues (even after the change in packaging) and it does the job as expected.

That said, if I do find that the composition has changed to a synthetic blend, I will probably change oils to the Titan GT1 PRO C3 which is a 5W30 that has the API SM/CF rating so should be fine for use on the Aurion.

At the end of the day, it probably doesn't make any difference, but it's a personal thing.

• 2 months later...

Well I'll be pouring in HPR5 into the Aurion. Lets see how it likes it. Even though I'd never know. When it comes to oil I know **** all. As long as it lubricates and stuff I would not be able to tell the difference in performance and how it's doing.

DJKOR any news on the Super GTO?

Spoke with a Fuchs representative the other month (LOL) and they told me that the Titan Super GTO in fact is not a fully synthetic, just a synthetic blend. When I asked them why their previous packaging and even website said fully synthetic, they could not comment. Speaking to a a guy at Queensland Diesel Spares (I think), he was saying something about how some standards apparently have changed in the way they rate the oil. Something like how an oil could have previously been labelled a fully synthetic under certain specifications, even if that isn't entirely true. I really don't know who's saying what, but either way for the sake of the discussion, Fuchs Titan GTO is only a synthetic blend.

Next oil change I will be running Fuchs GT1 PRO C3... provided it doesn't break the bank. Will have to order that one.

To be honest though, I'm only changing because I want to put a fully synthetic in it. No reason in particular... just what I feel like doing. To be serious, the Titan Super GTO does the trick and hasn't let me down.

DJKOR any news on the Super GTO?

Spoke with a Fuchs representative the other month (LOL) and they told me that the Titan Super GTO in fact is not a fully synthetic, just a synthetic blend. When I asked them why their previous packaging and even website said fully synthetic, they could not comment. Speaking to a a guy at Queensland Diesel Spares (I think), he was saying something about how some standards apparently have changed in the way they rate the oil. Something like how an oil could have previously been labelled a fully synthetic under certain specifications, even if that isn't entirely true. I really don't know who's saying what, but either way for the sake of the discussion, Fuchs Titan GTO is only a synthetic blend.

Next oil change I will be running Fuchs GT1 PRO C3... provided it doesn't break the bank. Will have to order that one.

To be honest though, I'm only changing because I want to put a fully synthetic in it. No reason in particular... just what I feel like doing. To be serious, the Titan Super GTO does the trick and hasn't let me down.

Thanks for the info. Same here. I was quite happy with it but also prefer fully synthetic oil. I guess I will look elsewhere. BTW what is Toyota synthetic oil. Is it fully synthetic and who makes it?

Edited by czaja74

As SupaTouring would say...

Dave: A good semi synthetic will do, just don't use Castrol Edge. I use Mobil-1 though

*grabs a bottle of Penrite HPR over Mobil-1*

Dave: Yep, Penrite HPR isn't bad

*Dave's eyes linger over to the shelves holding Mobil-1*

Me: *puts 2 and 2 together, sighs*

*I wander over to the shelf and switch to Mobil-1*

I rate Mobil-1, very little consumption (compared to Shell Helix Ultra + whatever Toyota used) and it boasts good protection.