corolla gearbox/computer??

Leroy

Hey all, can anybody shed some light on this for me...just for curiosity's sake?

I was doing around the 100 mark coming home on the highway in the wee hours yesterday, when i come out of a slight bend to find a kangaroo just standing there in my path. Rather than beep and hope it gets out of the way in time, i was too busy concentrating on anchoring in a straight line so as not to hit it or go off into the oncoming lane. I did brake in time -but I went from 100 right down to around 20 in such a small amount of time that i completely forgot to hit the clutch or change gear!!

This is the strange thing - by the time i settled my nerves and realised i was still in 5th gear, the car was still traveling along, and hadn't stalled!

Is there something in the corollas computer or something that prevented me from stalling in my highest gear?

I would have thought that at 20kmh the engine would have cut out...

cheers,

Leroy

I don't think there would be anything in the computer to shut the engine off if its in 5th but going really slowly..i think all you would get is the car jerking heaps, probably wouldn't be able to accelerate at all, or possible stalling

oh Leroy I'm ashamed to read this....

:lol:

Not all of us are of rally bred pedigree Micky, :blink:

That was actually a bad trip home (besides my distinct lack of clutch usage). You'd just put my wheels on, then i have that first kangaroo. Then a truck almost wipes me out cos he couldn't stay in his lane. Then an even bigger kangaroo jumps out across my path 10 kms later! And then rabbits when i get near my house...

Needless to say, my undies needed a change when i got home.

Anyhow, thanks guys!

Edited by Leroy

haha sounds like a bad trip home. i dont think you were gowing slow enough for the engine to stall. in my stivo i put it into 3rd gear at 20km/h cause i didnt want to look sus to a copper on the side of the road. and i slowly accelerated to the speed limit of 60 in 3rd gear.

Car's inertia will keep the engine from stalling. And being in a higher gear will help keep it running as each piston stroke has more time to travel through it's cycle. If you try to accelerate from high gear in a carbed vehicle youll most likely flood it or ping due to too much fuel and air with too slow a piston movement to allow proper gas ventilation.

Your ecu however reads rpm, throttle postion, ego and either air flow or manifold pressure and adjusts fuel and spark accordingly so as to avoid pre-detonation. So in a heavier gear the ecu will limit fuel until the engine is capable of producing power again.

TVIS also cuts off some of the air flow into the manifold at low rpm's making it easier for the ecu to match Throttle position to fuel flow. A solenoid releases the restriction as the revs climb and flows more air through the manifold allowing higher fuel flow.

yeah ive been driving at 20 kms in 5th its just the revs have to be really really low under a certain amount of load to stall it.

up a slight hill might stall it in that sence but no theres nothing in the cars computer that communicates with the gearbox in a manual its just normal principal revolutions versus load