SPORTIVO CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

Azza

Oh wait...you're defending me aren't you?

Don't worry man, it was just 1 person having a go at you when you did the right thing.

IT'S ALWAYS BETTER TO BRING UP AN OLD DISCUSSION THEN START A NEW ONE!!!!

Well done, I commend you on that :)

You had valid points to raise

:D

Dylan, Zee has your shifting problem been resolved???

mine has ever since I had the clutch replaced :) the "stickiness" is gone but i still crunch gears on/off when i try to shift very fast 1-2, if i slow down my shifts a tad its ok and it only happens on 1-2 like i am beating the synchros.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

who gives a rat's a$$ if it was a feb posting - the stivo should hopefully live for a while - it is an ongoing issue so an opportunity should exist on this forum to discuss this issues or just old plain old jane topic going forward! :angry:

Dude, let me say that when I read a post that says to me "Let the quicker shifts begin Azza :D " that was said in reply to a post that I made over 12 months ago, I believe I need to let the guy who responded know that he was replying to a 12 month old post as his reply insinuated to me that he may not have been aware of this.

I was in no way having a go at him, belittleing him or being a prick in my actions.

As Dylan stated, it is always good to reply to an older post than start a new one, but when you read what his comment to me was... "Let the quicker shifts begin Azza :D " then you can not be blamed for thinking he thought I had just started this thread.

Can I ask though, has anyone had theirs done and now feeling like it is slipping back to the way it was.... I reckon mine is (again) but when I asked them to re-do it last time (cause it has now been done twice) they try and tell me that Toyota will only pay for a warranty repair once, which in my opinion is crap because if it needs to be fixed then they should be fixing it properly. When they finally got the fix right the first time, it was awesome....but now back to the bad ol' days...

mine has ever since I had the clutch replaced :) the "stickiness" is gone but i still crunch gears on/off when i try to shift very fast 1-2, if i slow down my shifts a tad its ok and it only happens on 1-2 like i am beating the synchros.

Could it be your driving :P :P :D :D

Could it be your driving :P :P :D :D

It could well be :P but the problem i have now i had when it was new as well, just that the sticky shft is gone now but on occassions i still crunch 2nd gear even with my clutch fully depressed which says the synchros arn't up to speed yet -> "beating the synchros".. there was a period i had no such problems, so i really don't know where the problem is, could be that 2nd gear synchros are a little worn out now?? anyway will be getting Redline MT90 gearbox oil put in soon and will look at my old oil, so will find out sooner or later. In te meantime i just have to shift a little slower which just means no 1-2LIFT for me ;)

who gives a rat's a$$ if it was a feb posting - the stivo should hopefully live for a while - it is an ongoing issue so an opportunity should exist on this forum to discuss this issues or just old plain old jane topic going forward! :angry:

Can I ask though, has anyone had theirs done and now feeling like it is slipping back to the way it was.... I reckon mine is (again) but when I asked them to re-do it last time (cause it has now been done twice) they try and tell me that Toyota will only pay for a warranty repair once, which in my opinion is crap because if it needs to be fixed then they should be fixing it properly. When they finally got the fix right the first time, it was awesome....but now back to the bad ol' days...

Aaron, when I was out at the drags 3 out of 6 of my runs I had issues with the change from 1-2. I found it difficult to find the gate and landed in 4th instead. On 1 occasion I was absolutely certain I found the 2nd gate clean but it just wouldn't go in so I went to 4th again. but the other 3 times it was perfect.

Aaron, when I was out at the drags 3 out of 6 of my runs I had issues with the change from 1-2. I found it difficult to find the gate and landed in 4th instead. On 1 occasion I was absolutely certain I found the 2nd gate clean but it just wouldn't go in so I went to 4th again. but the other 3 times it was perfect.

Hydraulic clutch? Maybe what Toyota said about "Self-adjusting" is true?? :unsure: or maybe its just the stock clutch? Coz i have no problem getting into gear, just can't shift as fast as i would have liked and it will crunch most times if i try hard..

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I still find it amazing though that we have all had these problems yet the Exige has had nearly no reported problems and using the same box.

BTW - Got the latest motor mag today with the Exige S with a S/C 2ZZ.....yummo.... (except for the 130K price tag)

I still find it amazing though that we have all had these problems yet the Exige has had nearly no reported problems and using the same box.

BTW - Got the latest motor mag today with the Exige S with a S/C 2ZZ.....yummo.... (except for the 130K price tag)

plenty of Celicas too.. anyone experienced like a little shudder from the gearstick when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at normal engine speeds? btw i rev match all the time. Just find it wierd or is that normal??

I think my gearbox probably has seen too manuy 1-2 LIFT changes in the past :( but it shouldn't be happening, i still have 10mths warranty left but then Toyota might say i'm not supposed to rev past 6000rpm anyway! Lets just hope a change of gearbox oil will fix it or it mirraculously disappears like some things.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having high REV issue from 1st into 2nd (Crunching more and more often now)... It has also started crunching going from 4th (and sometimes 3rd) into 2nd.

It also feels like the gears are locked when going from 1st to 2nd most of the time... It's really anoying the hell out of me... loosing many drags because of it... :P

But my first 10K service is getting booked in soon so I'm going to try and get it fixed then... From what I've read the new facelift cars are not ment to have this issue??? (mine is a July/August/September' 05 build from memroy)...

It is almost like the syncro is not right expecialy when downshifting as if I'm in low revs it Normaly seems ok (about 90% of the time...)

I just don't know... hopfully it will get fixed soon! :D

I am also having high REV issue from 1st into 2nd (Crunching more and more often now)... It has also started crunching going from 4th (and sometimes 3rd) into 2nd.

It also feels like the gears are locked when going from 1st to 2nd most of the time... It's really anoying the hell out of me... loosing many drags because of it... :P

But my first 10K service is getting booked in soon so I'm going to try and get it fixed then... From what I've read the new facelift cars are not ment to have this issue??? (mine is a July/August/September' 05 build from memroy)...

It is almost like the syncro is not right expecialy when downshifting as if I'm in low revs it Normaly seems ok (about 90% of the time...)

I just don't know... hopfully it will get fixed soon! :D

I don't think the facelift "fixed" anything, the only fix was the recall we had for the 03'-04' models.

try and get Toyota to change your transmission fluid, gearshift should feel immediately better. You can also try Redline transmission fluids like the MT90 which cliams to fix gearshifting issues and is one of the best you can put into your gearbox. I recetly got some, you will need 2.3litres so get 3 x 1litre bottles, cost me around $117/- delivered to my door.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Hi ZEEROLLA

Thanks for the reply, $117... wooo that is quite a bit of cash for oil :blink: (guess it might be because I've never looked at the prices before :P ).

I will take my car back into Toyota and jump up and down first to see what they can do.. hopfully they can get it all working underwarranty as my car is not even 1 year old yet :D ,only done about 9750KM so will get my 10K service done now I recon see what they say...

Is the normal Toyota oil any good or should I be asking them to put somthing better in and paying the extra?, Is the probelm crap oil in the Sportivo's from South Africa? the oil they will replace with is it deferent to the oil that is in there right now? (just asking to see if I will start getting the same issue a little later)

Cheers!

FB

Hi ZEEROLLA

Thanks for the reply, $117... wooo that is quite a bit of cash for oil :blink: (guess it might be because I've never looked at the prices before :P ).

I will take my car back into Toyota and jump up and down first to see what they can do.. hopfully they can get it all working underwarranty as my car is not even 1 year old yet :D ,only done about 9750KM so will get my 10K service done now I recon see what they say...

Is the normal Toyota oil any good or should I be asking them to put somthing better in and paying the extra?, Is the probelm crap oil in the Sportivo's from South Africa? the oil they will replace with is it deferent to the oil that is in there right now? (just asking to see if I will start getting the same issue a little later)

Cheers!

FB

I think the oil they will use should be the same as whats in your car right now but gearbox oil gets dirty too with metal shavings etc and gearboxes have no oil filters to catch this stuff so i just think its good practice to change it regularly (i do mine evry 20,000kms but some "experts" actually recommend to do it every time with the engine oil especially for FWD cars.

I had Toyota do the oil change using their unknown gearbox oil (most probably Castrol) and universal lubricant, and i have since travelled 2000kms so i will give you a review. The gearshift mini-shudder when i down shift from 3rd to 2nd has disappeared :blink: It feels more rubbery and much better when the car is cold in the morning, but i still crunched when i tried to super-shift 1-2 (which is just very fast shifting like when you try to drag someone, and NO its NOT my driving ;)). I think the gearbox can only take so much of that before the synchros protest. I was told it is a known problem especially for FWDs and most 6 speed boxes over time get issues like that? Nothing wrong with gearbox so long as i slow down my shifts a bit, just can't super-chirpy my 1-2 anymore which is frustrating :(. Redline oil will go in when i get my next service done and will give it another review. and $117/- for oil is a bit of a rip-off to be honest but i had to give it a try since everyone says its good ;) Other brands of Full synthetic gearbox oil like Castrol will also set you back around the $75 mark for 3 litres. I had Castrol Syntrax in my gearbox prior to using Toyota's oil.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Hi ZEEROLLA

thanks once again for the reply :-)

I'll give the Toyota oil another go, maby it just needs a flash from the factory oil :-)

Also would be good to know how the $117 oil goes compared to the Standard Castrol oil, I hope I have not done any damage that will stop me quickly shifting from 1st into 2nd (I love staying in lift :D )

Cheers

FB

Hi ZEEROLLA

thanks once again for the reply :-)

I'll give the Toyota oil another go, maby it just needs a flash from the factory oil :-)

Also would be good to know how the $117 oil goes compared to the Standard Castrol oil, I hope I have not done any damage that will stop me quickly shifting from 1st into 2nd (I love staying in lift :D )

Cheers

FB

no problem mate.. i can be a little long winded at times but yeh just thought i should share my experience.. enjoy 1-2LIFT while it lasts! :P I sure did when i was able to do it and was constantly a V8 menace in my neighbourhood :D (actually i still am.. but just picking on autos only) :D

hey zee,

just wondering does your reverse also crunch??

my first to second gear change is the worst. crunches when trying to changed fast and hard, gets sticky in first at high revs.

I havent done the clutch adjustment yet as my narellan service centre "havent heard" about it, but they changed the gear box oil, which only stopped the crunching for 2 days.

i also havent been able to shift 1-2 in lift ever..

hope to rectify soon.

Cheers

tboy

I think I might have this problem now too..

only 3rd it seems though. Ive crunched a few times in the past couple of days, it just wont go into gear. just sits outside just enough to crunch me to tears. :(

stupid toyota! I only just bought the damn thing!

I believe its a common problem with this gearbox. Actually the problem is already well known since the Celica debuted in 1999!! Few ways to solve individual issues though..

For sticky shfter, u need a "clutch adjustment" (good luck with Toyota) or a new clutch kit.

For crunching, could be clutch as well but try gearbox oil change. I recommend a change of gearbox oil to see if it gets better. 2500kms after i had mine changed, i can say TOYOTA'S GEARBOX OIL SUCKS!! i crunch reverse more than ever, with my old oil (Castrol Syntrax reverse is great) btw Reverse gear has no synchros so it will be easy to crunch. Now to oils, Castrol Syntrax is a GL5 extreme pressure 75W90 gearoil so it is fantastic for gear protetction and is very good for track work. For street i found it quite good for about 30,000kms and landed LIFT 1-2-3-4 no problems at all.. but then all of a sudden i can't land 1-2LIFT anymore and crunches every time i shift super fast.

I am going to get Redline MT90 GL4 75W90 put in in a month or so when my next service is due. It is reputable for solving shifting problems and synchro problems so i shall see. ;)

if nothing helps and crunching is getting worse even on downshifts your synchros are most likely stuffed.. speak to Toyota then.

btw guys, it is not just our gearbox that suffers.. a lot of Hondas (reknowned for super slick gearshifts) suffer from gearbox issues too, like Civics, Integras (even with tripple cone synchros) and S2000s and even the lengendary NSX!! But FWDs are usually worse off and onset earlier, don't really know why.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

hey people, just booked my car in to get it checked out at nunawading toyota for gear crunching/sticky gears....spoke to some bloke over the phone he was a bit of a tool and said he never heard of someone having such problems of course! lol

i really hope the problem is replicated when they test drive i want this problem fixed damn it!

if they cant replicate the problem......can i still ask them to adjust the clutch higher anyway? or will they jst be a$$holes about it?

anyone who has dealt with nunawading toyota plzzzzz get back to me!!

cheers.

hey people, just booked my car in to get it checked out at nunawading toyota for gear crunching/sticky gears....spoke to some bloke over the phone he was a bit of a tool and said he never heard of someone having such problems of course! lol

i really hope the problem is replicated when they test drive i want this problem fixed damn it!

if they cant replicate the problem......can i still ask them to adjust the clutch higher anyway? or will they jst be a$$holes about it?

cheers.

im in melbourne btw, oh and ZAV you said u went to nunwading to get it done..howd it go? has the problem been fixed at all?

cheers.

cheers.

im in melbourne btw, oh and ZAV you said u went to nunwading to get it done..howd it go? has the problem been fixed at all?

Apparently they "fixed" a few Stivos but these people at Nunawading Toyota have since suffered from "Sudden Onset Dementia" can't remember s.h.i.t.!! hence the very typical responses. In fact i think this epidemic only attacks people workng at car dealerships, poor buggers. If they don't want to do it or say they will charge you for it tell them to get stuffed and get your own mechanic to do it because i have been through the same and it didn't do anything, THREE TIMES, THREE DEALERSHIPS. They even said to me they rang Nunawading Toyota for instructions! BS!

You can do the clutch adjustment yourself with some simple tools actually, perform a search and see if you can find more info.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 2 weeks later...