SPORTIVO CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

Azza

Hey all!!!

Wed Wocket went in for it's 10K service today, and had the Clutch Adjustment done...

QUESTION - Who else has had this done, and did you end up with the clutch pedal up around you ears....???

I have noticed that the clutch pedal itself actually sits alot higher than it used to (where it used to be fairly level with the brake and accellerator) and now the clutch needs to travel a longer distance to hit the pressure point...

Where my pedal sits now when my foot is not on it, is now about 3 inches higher in the air then the brake and accel....

I litterally hit my knee on the bottom of the steering wheel when I disengage the clutch (although the gear change is nicer now)

Will be calling Lexus tomorrow

I just had mine done a month ago, and the height of the pedal is the same as before :D

azza,

my clutch friction point was moved but the pedal itself remained the same hieght. It takes people a bit of getting used to ie. northy, sportiv, wei wei have all commented on it.

Mine is perfect, the way it waz before is the way it is now, except shifting is crisp and smooth. :D

Which dealer did you go to KT? If they can't get mine done properly at Wollongong I'll give them a try...

Cheers

Dylan

Both me and KT had got our babe done in Sydney City Toyota, Waterloo. :lol:

The height doesn't change much...~!! :lol:

Cheers, I'll look into it!!!

Went into Sci-Fleet at Kedron today to get him to have another look at it and he basically said that it was impossible for the clutch pressure point to be adjusted without altering the height of the pedal...

Told him that other tivo owners had had it done and he didn't believe me,...

Hi Ho, Hi ho, it's back to Lexus we go....

Went into Sci-Fleet at Kedron today to get him to have another look at it and he basically said that it was impossible for the clutch pressure point to be adjusted without altering the height of the pedal...

Told him that other tivo owners had had it done and he didn't believe me,...

Hi Ho, Hi ho, it's back to Lexus we go....

Righty - O

Went back to Lexus today to advise that I wasn't happy and here is a brief explaination of what I was told.

The 'Field Fix' for the clutch advises that the clutch needs to be adjusted out 50mm (minimum) to 60mm (Maximum).

My vehicle was initially adjusted 55mm but they felt that this was not far enough so they are now going to adjust it down to 55mm...

Stay tuned....

• 4 weeks later...

So here's my theory -

Toyota have 2 fixes for this problem.

1) something very quick and simple that they can do with a spanner and a few minutes, possibly aimed at shutting the customer up. (What I think they did the first time when they adjusted my clutch pedal to seat height)

2) a more substansive fix that actually fixes the issue. (what they have now done)

I used to have about 3 inches of play in the pedal before I hit the frictioon point, and the numbnuts from *UN-NAMED NORTHERN BRISBANE TOYOTA SERVICE CENTRE* told me that it was physically impossible to adjust the friction point without adjusting the pedal height.

Since making repeated requests and a customer service complaint (they were silly enough to send me a comments card after the 10K service), my wocket went back to Lexus of Brisbane who have now corrected the problem.

My clutch pedal is now low again, perhaps even lower than before, with now problems (and I am loving it)

I'm no mechanic, and I don't know ***** about clutches other than how to use it, but what I was told about the adjustment seems to me like balone cause now I have about 1/2 inch play before friction point, and I reckon I am flat out having 3 inches in totla travel....

Well done Lexus....

there's two locations where you can adjust the clutch, there is a pedal height adjustment, and an adjustment on the rod from the master cylinder. For the fix, all they need to adjust is the rod from the master cylinder.

I brought mine to 3 different Toyota dealerships and they couldn't do anything to it.. said the clutch was hydraulic so there is not much adjustment except the pedal travel.. and they said the technical bulletin mentioned pedal travel was out in some cars so they measured and fiddled around with it..

I experimented myself when i was at Wakefield park, adjusting the pedal height. When there is less pedal travel the gearshifter feels better (but still sticks) and there seems to be a little more clutch slip when you shift fast, and when there is more clutch pedal travel the bloody shifter sticks like hell. I also searched the web and found some info by ABS on hydraulic clutches. It said when pedal travel is too much you get clutch drag which can cause the gearshifter to feel like ours so one way to rectify or improve on it is too reduce the clutch pedal travel.

Just my little opinion.. and Dylan keep me updated!

Zee

Edited by ZEEROLLA
  • Like 1

there's two locations where you can adjust the clutch, there is a pedal height adjustment, and an adjustment on the rod from the master cylinder.  For the fix, all they need to adjust is the rod from the master cylinder.

Spot on i think but the bloody dealers won't do it, because its not mentioned in the technical bulletin.

P.S. I am not encouraging people to adjust the clutch themsleves in anyway. I am not responsible for any problems (such as broken finger, or clutch pedal falling off..) :P

.. and Dylan keep me updated!

Zee

Wollongong Toyota are seeing mine 1st thing Tuesday morning, if they place the friction point up near the steering wheel, I'll then have a look as Sydney City Toyota, a bit of a drive but I want this fixed!!!

I'll let you know Tuesday night...

Dylan

Bad news Zee... Took the Service manager for a spin when I picked the car up as he could not diagnose an issue (but admitted that he didn't try at above 7000RPM) had a nice long chat about issues with the clutch adjustment and said all they can do is move the height as it is all hydrolic, but it has been noted that I have an issue with the clutch (the more notice given the better chance to Toyota fixing it) and until Toyota put out a formal statement and recall on this issue he is not prepared to look at it as it does not interfere with my 'normal' driving. He also mentioned that 2 other Stivos serviced there reported similar issues (I assumed one was yours...)

so... I'll be giving Sydney City a call next week to see what I can line up. A bit of a trip but one I feel is worth it to fix this issue... If you want to book to get both cars looked at together we could do that, will discuss on Sunday... If Blackrolla is there on Sun before the cruise I'll have a chat to see what he did also.

Cheers

Dylan

Bad news Zee... Took the Service manager for a spin when I picked the car up as he could not diagnose an issue (but admitted that he didn't try at above 7000RPM) had a nice long chat about issues with the clutch adjustment and said all they can do is move the height as it is all hydrolic, but it has been noted that I have an issue with the clutch (the more notice given the better chance to Toyota fixing it) and until Toyota put out a formal statement and recall on this issue he is not prepared to look at it as it does not interfere with my 'normal' driving. He also mentioned that 2 other Stivos serviced there reported similar issues (I assumed one was yours...)

so... I'll be giving Sydney City a call next week to see what I can line up. A bit of a trip but one I feel is worth it to fix this issue... If you want to book to get both cars looked at together we could do that, will discuss on Sunday... If Blackrolla is there on Sun before the cruise I'll have a chat to see what he did also.

Cheers

Dylan

Hey Blue_Stivo,

I think u really should give the Sydney City Toyota, Waterloo a go. Both me and KT_haha had got our car done there. We are now both very happy with it.

Last time, I just give them a call and tell them the problem, then they booked me in for a check up. On the day of the check up, I just took my car in and explain the problem to the Service Advisor, then he just took the car in and fix it for me.

(I think they are familiar with the clutch problem and gear selector cable problem all kinds of those problems, so once you tell them, they just know what to do :) )

I took my car early in the morning around 7:30, then they gave me a call at around 2:00pm said the car is ready.

Here is the service advisor's name for your reference, Ali Baalbaki. :)

Wish you and Zeerolla good luck on this.... :)

Thanks Cooley and Dylan sorry to hear the bad news, but its becoming all too familiar. I'm willing to go to Sydney City Toyota to get them to look at it. But i'm still waiting for the service manager at Tory to ring me back. Aparently he will be liasing with the regional technical team to help resolve my problems. That is what Jenny requested i do, to liase with them but its been a week and no reply yet. But what you said is right, at least we lodged our concerns with them so they can't blame us in the end for a problem we didn't raise.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Well after i had mine readjusted, it did sit alot higher and the clutch enagged quicker However, i think it went back to its original condidion and i cant get smooth changes in high revs anymore. Back to mr toyota i think :(

Any updates from you, Blue_Stivo or ZEEROLLA?? :P

Well after i had mine readjusted, it did sit alot higher and the clutch enagged quicker However, i think it went back to its original condidion and i cant get smooth changes in high revs anymore. Back to mr toyota i think :(

Any updates from you, Blue_Stivo or ZEEROLLA?? :P

Not yet mate, i'm still waiting for a Service Manager to contact me.. its been a while and i might not wait. I'm also thinking of getting a new clutch and TOM's flywheel fitted soon bcos i can't be bothered lobbying around with Toyota anymore, plus i've already got a TOM's flywheel lying around.

Anyway if anything comes up soon i will probably still consider letting Toyota have another look. Will kep this thread updated.

Zee