Tofuboi's Aurion - The Tofutaxi

Tofuboi

Well it seems I gave in on the wheel debate. Saturday morning I took delivery of a set of PDW NOVA 18x8 wheels which were wrapped with Pirelli tyres 235/40R18 and I must say, it looks good with the Aurora gold!

DSC00963.JPG

Well I like it anyway and that's what counts! :D

It does stick to the road alot better now with the wider tyres and better tread, road noise has dropped a bit too over the stock Michellins (which were the original tyres that came with the car back in 2007! Not bad considering the cars done 58,000km...

Next on the list is to source out some heat proof rubber that will go around my lower strut brace, it's vibrating up against the exhaust when you accelerate full tilt. Not cool! Or i'll just do what DJKOR said, "Time to get a new exhaust." :P

After that i'll be getting my DBA 4000 Series rotors fitted and some better pads, DJKOR has the same rotors I beleive and is pleased so i'll be doing that.

Finally last thing is definately going to be something that will bring the car down about an inch or two. That would make the car really streamlined I reckon, but I don't want to go all out with adjustable suspension kits etc, at least not yet!

So yeah, that's my car as it stands! Definately love it! :D

Well it seems I gave in on the wheel debate. Saturday morning I took delivery of a set of PDW NOVA 18x8 wheels which were wrapped with Pirelli tyres 235/40R18 and I must say, it looks good with the Aurora gold!

DSC00963.JPG

Tofuboi, the wheels look NICE on your car, now you just need to lower it and it will be SWEET.. hahaha.. :)

Wheels look sleek mate. Are they black with machined face?

Yeah, i wanted the black to suit the whole black and gold theme i got going :P

Wheels look sleek mate. Are they black with machined face?

Yeah, i wanted the black to suit the whole black and gold theme i got going :P

Looks good! would hv love more spokes but this looks great and easier to clean too!! :lol:

your next mod could come from your local shops xD

448050728DCIlTT_ph.jpg

you should be congratulated for putting rims on your car whilst maintaining decent rubber

too many ppl putting big rims and sht rubber on IMHO

there's set lenso for sale in brisbane that i lurv, comes with kenda rubber, you gotta be kidding me, if came with decent rubber, i would have changed already.

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

you should be congratulated for putting rims on your car whilst maintaining decent rubber

too many ppl putting big rims and sht rubber on IMHO

there's set lenso for sale in brisbane that i lurv, comes with kenda rubber, you gotta be kidding me, if came with decent rubber, i would have changed already.

whitestivo

+1 i agree Phil... :)

sat in Ingres Kumho rubber and its pretty good... just wonder if Kenda is that bad maybe to Kumho?

I'm sure if I took you for a spin around Nebo with the Adrenalins, you would notice a good difference. Phil is one of those guys that likes to really 'drive' his car. When it comes to tires, sometimes 'good' just doesn't cut it. Even if Kenda is equal to Kumho, that's not going to be good enough for him. Hence his comment on cheaper rubber.

bridgestone potenza are the best. what the point of large rims?

I wouldn't say the best, but for the price that you can get them for, then I guess you can say that.

As for the larger wheels, some people are after style and something different. That's excluding the ones with big brake kits that require larger wheels. The only thing that is stopping me from getting larger wheels are the costs involved for performance tires.

Yeah well Potenza will cost arm, legs and more too...

It doesn't cost more for no reason. It's not that pricey as well. It's only when you throw it onto larger wheels.

phil: mate, some people arent out to get the best lap time at QR... some of us just dont care at all...

the only thing ive wanted outta this car is that its comfy, luxurious, looks good and has some poke... so far its ticking all those boxes ;)

ive been there done that with having a fast car that grips like theres no tomorrow... im over it... :)

you may call it "sht rubber", but it cant be "sht" if it meets the australian standards... its fine for a road car mate... ;)

the only thing ive wanted outta this car is that its comfy, luxurious, looks good and has some poke... so far its ticking all those boxes ;)

its toyota, mate. not bmw or mercedes, not even lexus. Girls dont care how it looks.

Edited by avstral

A 7 year old kid jumps out front of two sportivos, mine with my potenza rubber, and another with big rims and kumho, kenda, nankaang, hankook, firestone, etc etc etc. 7 year old is more like to live as my tyres stop quicker. fact. check the reviews.

don't think performance tyres are just for the track people, no no no

whitestivo

its toyota, mate. not bmw or mercedes, not even lexus. Girls dont care how it looks.

Hit and a miss.

Hit and a miss.

Wow it seems my thread has turned into a bit of a 'Battle of the tyres' here.

There was a few factors that I went through before going with what I did. Basically I was asked a simple question.

"How do you drive your car?"

I answered.

"Pretty casually but every so often a spirited run will be in the mix."

He responded, "Pirelli."

So thats pretty much what I did, I also did some investigation in terms of what tyres would be most suited to the rim I chose aswell. Now I don't know because they're brand new wether they hold the road really well, but it is definately an improvement over the Michelins. Then again the Michelins had 50,000km on them so it IS hard to compare. But I've already come into a scenario where I've had to stop suddenly. (Sunday night, had some silly driver that ran a red and I was coming through in front of me as I was about to enter the intersection. I slammed the anchors down and I felt like my face was going to rip off. With the Michellins I would have definately felt the ABS smashing whats left of my stock rotors (as it always does as the rotors are ruined.), but it was smooth, and it stopped on its own accord. On that note, I am really happy with my purchase.

Oh, and here's something interesting.

I know of at least ten females that have been in cars like BMW's or Mercedes' and what not, I've had them in my Sportivo ZR6 aswell, guess what they would prefer.

"The Sportivo."

'nuff said.

;)

Just wondering how many of the cheaper brand tyres are load rated correctly (95V Aurion std load & speed rate)...say 245/35/20 or even harder to find 245/30/20 very limited,i'm not proud of the price of my Yokohama's at around $600each but when i was doing my wheel & tyre set up i spoke to my insurance company Shannons and they would not cover me without the correct load rate,so i was stuck with about 4-5 realistic choices... :(