Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

A bit of a thread revival here. I just dropped my TRD off at my service centre of choice for it's final major service (45,000km) since the warranty expires tomorrow. Talk about leaving things till the last minute :lol:

Anyways, I told the service advisor there (same guy I've always dealt with) to check the steering shaft since I'm getting that knocking issue. As with last time when I was telling him about it on my Sportivo, he acknowledged what I said indicating he is clear about it being a known issue. He said something along the lines that he will check this first seeing that the warranty expires tomorrow and that he's have it replaced if they have any in stock. Interesting that he would phrase it that way considering that they haven't checked yet to see if it is definitely the issue.

So I guess that there may be a chance that I get myself a new intermediate shaft, and if that's the case and they have one in stock, I won't be getting my car back till the morning. I guess we'll see what the word is later tonight.

Okay. This is where things are getting interesting. So I went in to pick my car up just then and since it's a new shift, the original service advisor I was dealing with is not currently there.

Now according to the paperwork, it says "HAVE ORDERED STEERING SHAFT". The guy I spoke with when I picked it up is only aware of what it says on the paperwork, so as far as I can tell, the shaft has not yet been changed.

Prior to all this, I remember reading how everyone says that the new intermediate shaft makes a fairly noticeable difference. I am a bit sceptical to that statement. So with that in mind, I was ready to thoroughly 'test' it when I got it. But since the paperwork states that it has not been done, I was expecting it to all feel the same.

So I got in the car and slowly started to drive. Now the interesting part. I could not hear any knocks from the steering and I swear it felt more 'direct'. So if the intermediate shaft has not been replaced... then I guess this shows that most of the changes in feel that have been reported must just be the placebo effect.

During my entire drive from Toyota to the office, I was really starting to wonder if anything at all had been done and how well my mind is playing tricks on me. I got to the office and reversed into my parking space. Now usually I get some pretty serious knocking noises nearly every time I park here so this was the part I was waiting for to really test it out. To my surprise... no knocking. Now it is really a WTF moment.

Now stupid me forgot to inspect the intermediate shaft before bringing it in, so visual inspection for me isn't going to be of any use. I still had a look up there anyway trying to look for a part number. I did find one, but upon further research, it seems that it's not the one I'm looking for. The part number I found is for the "COLUMN ASSY, STEERING".

Interestingly enough though, this does not match up with the part number that my research has found. According to my research, the part number for this should be "45250-06510". The sticker on mine however shows "45250-06520". If anyone in the know (Adamsy, GSV40R, etc) could possibly help out here, that would be great. Is this a revised part, and if so, why would this have been changed when the fault mentioned in this thread is the intermediate shaft which is different to this part?

I am really confused and I won't really know anything more until I speak to the person who was dealing with my car.

di-1412826106083.jpg

And now time for a third post in a row from me.

I went back to Toyota then to thank the service advisor for getting everything organised. After all, my warranty does expire today so it's good to have problems like that fixed with minimal fuss.

I asked about the part though that was shown as ordered. Turns out that the steering shaft wasn't touched... just inspected and ordered.

And that brings me to the next point which is that the slight knocking sounds that had developed must not have been the steering shaft. Most probably it was something else that just happened to be tightened as part of the service. Quite interesting. And I had driven it in the same places I usually do on a day to day basis where I can say I pretty much always replicate the knocking... except after the service. Hmmmmm.

I am still a little puzzled over that upper steering shaft component I mentioned earlier. The part number is different to that of my Sportivo which was built around the same date. If that was replaced, I don't know when.

Regardless, the new intermediate shaft has been ordered and they will give me a call when they get it in so it can then be fitted.

And now time for a third post in a row from me.

I went back to Toyota then to thank the service advisor for getting everything organised. After all, my warranty does expire today so it's good to have problems like that fixed with minimal fuss.

I asked about the part though that was shown as ordered. Turns out that the steering shaft wasn't touched... just inspected and ordered.

And that brings me to the next point which is that the slight knocking sounds that had developed must not have been the steering shaft. Most probably it was something else that just happened to be tightened as part of the service. Quite interesting. And I had driven it in the same places I usually do on a day to day basis where I can say I pretty much always replicate the knocking... except after the service. Hmmmmm.

I am still a little puzzled over that upper steering shaft component I mentioned earlier. The part number is different to that of my Sportivo which was built around the same date. If that was replaced, I don't know when.

Regardless, the new intermediate shaft has been ordered and they will give me a call when they get it in so it can then be fitted.

See I found this interesting with my 90,000km service too Daryl.

I had creaking-like sounds coming from the strut hats on the front suspension when turning at low speed. Took it in for a service and miraculously the sound has disappeared, yet Toyota said they never touched them at all. All they did was put some brackets on my strut brace to prevent it from rubbing against the bonnet. As it did for some time before the creaking sounds happened. Very strange.

Good to see they're still gonna replace it tho.

You show them Daryl :lol: :P!

I'm sure mine was replaced because I had to wait over two weeks for my part to come in from Japan AND before I can even say where the knocking sound was coming from the dealer said it himself, 'yeah mate its the shaft'. lol!

Just an update on this. Only 8 days after first dropping my TRD off, I get a phone call earlier on this evening at 6:20pm from my service advisor telling me that my Intermediate Shaft has arrived. I tell him that I should probably book it in then for the next available evening session. He then tells me that it's a reasonably quiet night tonight and he can fit it for me tonight if I want. I then tell him that I can be there in 25 minutes. He says "done".

So that's about it really. I just got home after dropping my TRD off and by about 10-10:30pm tonight, she should be finished. Now that's service that I am truly satisfied with.

Hey DJ, ill check and refresh my memory with the dealer bulletin in regards to the shaft and its part numbers, let me come back to you. It's possible the part number has been Superseded.

Hey DJ, ill check and refresh my memory with the dealer bulletin in regards to the shaft and its part numbers, let me come back to you. It's possible the part number has been Superseded.

Cheers mate. It's just one of those curiosity things. I figured my Sportivo was built close to the same date as my TRD and the "COLUMN ASSY, STEERING" was of a lesser part number "45250-06510". One would think that the TRD would have been fitted with the same part number, not the one I mentioned above "45250-06520". If that's the case, I was trying to think why it would be changed on mine.

As for the intermediate shaft... well I just got home after picking my TRD up around 10pm as estimated. All I can say is that:

1) My alignment is fixed. Prior to this, the steering had a minor tilt anti-clockwise when travelling straight. Then again, it's last alignment was at 18,000km.

2) The steering feels like it has less play in it, and

3) There is no knocking sound.

But based on what happened last service, 2 and 3 are probably just a placebo thing.

On inspection of the new shaft (sorry I don't have photos to properly show this), the most significant difference I have noticed visually is that the universal joint on it has more durable looking bushes on it. I would be guessing that this would be to eliminate any potential play that can come from there and maybe cause some noise.

Either way, 7 days out of warranty and I now have a new intermediate shaft. Everything was handled so smoothly and I am one satisfied customer.

Cheers mate. It's just one of those curiosity things. I figured my Sportivo was built close to the same date as my TRD and the "COLUMN ASSY, STEERING" was of a lesser part number "45250-06510". One would think that the TRD would have been fitted with the same part number, not the one I mentioned above "45250-06520". If that's the case, I was trying to think why it would be changed on mine.

As for the intermediate shaft... well I just got home after picking my TRD up around 10pm as estimated. All I can say is that:

1) My alignment is fixed. Prior to this, the steering had a minor tilt anti-clockwise when travelling straight. Then again, it's last alignment was at 18,000km.

2) The steering feels like it has less play in it, and

3) There is no knocking sound.

But based on what happened last service, 2 and 3 are probably just a placebo thing.

On inspection of the new shaft (sorry I don't have photos to properly show this), the most significant difference I have noticed visually is that the universal joint on it has more durable looking bushes on it. I would be guessing that this would be to eliminate any potential play that can come from there and maybe cause some noise.

Either way, 7 days out of warranty and I now have a new intermediate shaft. Everything was handled so smoothly and I am one satisfied customer.

Hi Mate,

So Ive had a quick look at the part numbers and both of those you have are "good" numbers:

now 45250-06510 fits the Prodigy, Touring & Sportivo SX6

Where as 45250-061520 fits Presara, Sportivo ZR6 and TRD 3500SL, Also HSD Camry also uses the Faster Aurion Rack too.

Most obvious difference between them is one seems to fit all Smart start/entry cars and the other one fits those cars with out it.

Now my best guess would be that the steering lock would be different on these cars, key and barrel on the right, starter button the left so the "pin" is probably on the opposite side to normal?

Also the Shaft Assy,Steering intermediate 45220-06131 supersedes to 45220-06132 on all Aurion models

Edited by Adamsy

Most obvious difference between them is one seems to fit all Smart start/entry cars and the other one fits those cars with out it.

Now my best guess would be that the steering lock would be different on these cars, key and barrel on the right, starter button the left so the "pin" is probably on the opposite side to normal?

Very good point. Completely didn't think about that (obviously). Makes sense though considering my last car was the SX6.

Very good point. Completely didn't think about that (obviously). Makes sense though considering my last car was the SX6.

YEAH that was my thought exactly - the SX6 bit i mean lol. So yeah i hope that helps out :) Was a good thing to look up actually so thanks ha

I started to have the knocking problem a few months ago and had no idea why.

After reading this post last week, I decided to call Toyota and see what they think. Basically, I told the guy about the knocking and also told him what I read about the intermediate shaft on here. Then, he just booked me in to have it fixed today. Just got a call and was told the shaft has been replaced under warranty. Hopefully it will fix the problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate,

So I’ve had a quick look at the part numbers and both of those you have are "good" numbers:

Where as 45250-061520 fits Presara, Sportivo ZR6 and TRD 3500SL, Also HSD Camry also uses the Faster Aurion Rack too.

Also the Shaft Assy,Steering intermediate 45220-06131 supersedes to 45220-06132 on all Aurion models

Adamsy, If I have had a warranty replacment using the part 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int) does that mean I don't need the 45250-06510 part replaced?

I am experiencing the old knock that they seem to have temporarily fixed with the 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int).

Hi Mate,

So I’ve had a quick look at the part numbers and both of those you have are "good" numbers:

Adamsy, If I have had a warranty replacment using the part 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int) does that mean I don't need the 45250-06510 part replaced?

I am experiencing the old knock that they seem to have temporarily fixed with the 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int).

Had mine replaced 1 week before warranty ran out

AUR30N

After reading this post last week, I decided to call Toyota and see what they think. Basically, I told the guy about the knocking and also told him what I read about the intermediate shaft on here. Then, he just booked me in to have it fixed today. Just got a call and was told the shaft has been replaced under warranty. Hopefully it will fix the problem!

Its great that you got this fixed.

I would suggest to people on here that you try not to mention anything about "forums" or "read on the internet" to your service advisor. For some dealers it can be a dirty word.

Just trying to help out....

Hi Mate,

Hey HT ,

i will try to answer this without having a partfinder in front of me. What adamsy was saying is that the aurion models (atx,prodigy,sx6 and touring ) are all key start vehicles. the steering columns are slightly different. the intermediate shaft 45220-06132 is the lower shaft to the steering rack and the last digit 2 is the newer/superceeded part. the parts number referred to starting with 45250-***** is the upper part of the steering column and it differs if you have keyless or key starting systems. the keyless/smart entry has an electric steering lock and it is mounted differently. so in closing if you had the slight knock sound along with a thump feel in the steering ,more noticeable when braking or accelerating on the flat or over a driveway and you then had the int shaft replaced that should have fixed it. i drive over 20 cars a day and i have noticed the same feeling starting in klugers and some taragos too.

so unless there is an issue with your rack and or rack ends or even noisey struts the shaft replacement should alleviate the original noise. i hope this helps

If I have had a warranty replacment using the part 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int) does that mean I don't need the 45250-06510 part replaced?

Hey HT ,

i will try to answer this without having a partfinder in front of me. What adamsy was saying is that the aurion models (atx,prodigy,sx6 and touring ) are all key start vehicles. the steering columns are slightly different. the intermediate shaft 45220-06132 is the lower shaft to the steering rack and the last digit 2 is the newer/superceeded part. the parts number referred to starting with 45250-***** is the upper part of the steering column and it differs if you have keyless or key starting systems. the keyless/smart entry has an electric steering lock and it is mounted differently. so in closing if you had the slight knock sound along with a thump feel in the steering ,more noticeable when braking or accelerating on the flat or over a driveway and you then had the int shaft replaced that should have fixed it. i drive over 20 cars a day and i have noticed the same feeling starting in klugers and some taragos too.

so unless there is an issue with your rack and or rack ends or even noisey struts the shaft replacement should alleviate the original noise. i hope this helps

That helps a lot!! thanks.

Ok now that I understand I might be able to explain it a bit better.

I had the lower 45220 shaft replaced under warranty due to knocking. But the problem is happening again but I am out of warranty, what are my chances of getting the upper 45250 done under warranty?

• 4 weeks later...

If I have had a warranty replacment using the part 45220-06132 (Shaft Assy strg int) does that mean I don't need the 45250-06510 part replaced?

Hey HT ,

That helps a lot!! thanks.

Ok now that I understand I might be able to explain it a bit better.

I had the lower 45220 shaft replaced under warranty due to knocking. But the problem is happening again but I am out of warranty, what are my chances of getting the upper 45250 done under warranty?

Sorry HT have only just looked at this thread again, my bad.

Ok the thing with warranties is that if you have brought a problem up with the car during the warranty period and it hasn’t been fixed or it reoccurs then technically it hasn’t been fixed so your warranty period hasn’t finished until such time as i has been rectified, but it’s a gray area and some dealers will really fight you on it. It's a bit strange that the lower section has been replaced as well? it does mention it in the bulletin but its accepted that the problem area is the "upper" section. I'd go see your dealer and get that section fixed as well. I actually have now noticed this issue with my car so have to get it fixed. pfft the bulletin says the dealer needs audio/video proof of the noise before a claim can be made. What crap! So to play along i tried to record it BUT AS IF! But yeah go see your dealer fella!

Hi Guys,

I to have a knocking sound, it is noticeable on our rough potholed NSW roads and sounds like its coming from the steering wheel sort of like the nuts loose. I also have a rattle which sounds like its coming from somewhere around the centre air vent assy which is worse on the rough roads too. My Aurion has done 80,000k's and is 3 years old but luckily the dealer talked me into buying 3 years extra full factory warranty, so after reading this thread I will definetly contact Toyota and mention the steering problems and hopefully get them to fix it under warranty.

Its great that you got this fixed.

I would suggest to people on here that you try not to mention anything about "forums" or "read on the internet" to your service advisor. For some dealers it can be a dirty word.

Just trying to help out....

Then those service advisors should get with the times and get off their high horses...customers/owners are much more educated about their cars these days and it's due to the information found online and thru forums and automotive chat rooms,you would think this would assist dealers in some diagnostics,but as you mentioned some get a bit uppity on being told what they should already know....information is power.

maybe the service advisors that get put out by this are the ones that are more likely to BS you or d!ck you around when wanting/needing wty work done...those days are numbered as more and more of us are becoming a little more savy on how our cars should perform and how dealer wty and servicing works.

I happen to get my intermediate shaft spline replaced under warantee. Biggest difference ever. You dom'y get the knocking sensation whilst steering. My advice to all of you who are getting it done is to ensure that the service guys allign your car again. I drove off not realising that my allignment was off. Luckily the guys at Toyota Essendon did my allignment without issue

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed my steering knocking, and pulling to the left in '08 SX-6 (60,000ks). Took it to the dealer to get both fixed. The mechanic said the shaft and front struts needed replacing - Both were done free under warranty.

The knocking at low speed on acceleration and braking has disappeared completely, but still feels/sounds the same over potholes. I notice the part number for the shaft is different to those posted here - "Shaft Assy, STE V106 4522033180". Did they replace the right part?

The pull to the left still exists after 2 alignments (pre and post the struts being replaced). Annoyingly the dealer said the strut replacement had fixed the problem when it has made no difference. I know this topic is dealt with in another thread, but I still can't figure out whether this is something that can be fixed by the dealer, or requires an aftermarket solution?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Since having my shaft replaced I sometimes get a terible sort of grindig crunch noise coming from the steering, only when I am stationary and ty to turn the wheel. It is not too frequent but when it does it the noise is loud and I feel the steering wheel shudder for about a second.

Can anyone think what it could possibly be? I haven't taken it back yet for them to look at it.

Cheers

i'd like to know which dealers in Sydney have replaced your shaft under warranty.

i have gone to two dealers and both said nothing wrong.

however i went to NRMA service and i also got the guy who installed my wheels to have a quick look

and both said shafts may need replacing...

so i have 2 independents telling me difference answers to what toyota dealers are telling me.

what do i do? i hear the noise over incline bumps, even when turning the steering right to left the steering feels loose and noisy.

my friend who owns a standard Aurion does not seem to be affected so in know there is something wrong for sure.