Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

A technical bulletin was issued to all dealers recently, with a repair method that doesn't require part replacement.

Thanks for that 450hptonne, do you know how long this repair process takes no considering there is no part replacement?

just got my steering shaft replacement under warranty at no cost. no more knocking sound

Straiv - how quick did you get it replaced? You posted yesterday that you have the problem and fixed it today? I have dealer warranty from Jefferson Ford as Factory warranty expired 29th of July, if they diagnose a problem what's the chances of getting this fixed for free? Thanks

i just call them that i am coming down the next day as my steering wheel have knocking sound. 930am sent my car 1230pm i got it back.

• 2 weeks later...

First my ATX had the knock, and today I feel it in the '08 Prodigy.

The car is still under warranty, and at 46K is due for a service.

Had the service today, and the knock wasn't reproducible.

This knock is felt at low speeds when the brakes are applied lightly...so I'm wondering if it's something else. I've felt it through the pedal, and am wondering if it might be a separate issue from the intermediate shaft.

Having written that, when I first noticed it, it was on a full lock low speed turn, which I haven't been able to simulate since. The braking knock is more consistent.

It's been a few months now since I first noticed the knock at slow speeds,when using the brakes gently. It does it more consistently now (7K ks later)but it's still quite subtle. It's definitely not the same as the intermediate shaft problem. It does seem easier to ellicit when the car has been in use for a period , eg when well warmed up.

It still has extended warranty, so I'll wait a tad longer before getting it looked into.

• 4 months later...

A technical bulletin was issued to all dealers recently, with a repair method that doesn't require part replacement.

Thanks for that 450hptonne, do you know how long this repair process takes no considering there is no part replacement?

I've now done 92k and four years old.Just started to get the steering knock at low speed and slight bumps. How do they fix the problem without parts?

I've now done 92k and four years old.Just started to get the steering knock at low speed and slight bumps. How do they fix the problem without parts?

It involves you driving the car to them, leaving it with them and getting it back in a repaired condition.

• Like 1

It involves you driving the car to them, leaving it with them and getting it back in a repaired condition.

I was looking for a more technical answer Trent, something along the lines that they undo certain steering components and pack them with grease or tighten some bolts and it only takes an hour? Perhaps someone knows exactly what they do to fix it without replacing the shaft.

Edited by julian040859

Hi,

I've had my intermediate shaft changed some 1-2 yrs ago under warranty. Since then warranty has expired. Lo and behold, the noise is back, and I'm pretty sure it's the intermediate shaft again (exactly the same symptoms as described in this thread as well as those experienced last time they fixed it).

I suppose this time the repairs would be out of my own pocket right? Not sure of the fine print in warranty repairs, perhaps the repairs are warrented for 12 months only, and not the life of the car? If this is a common/known problem, wouldn't it be categorised as a design defect, and therefore Toyota liable to either come up with an improved part to permanently fix the problem, or repair it at their own expense? This isn't exactly a 'consumable' part.

I noticed the mention of the technical bulletin which no longer requires changing the part (I guess it was motivated by the cost of warranty repairs :spiteful: ). Does anyone know what the Toyota dealers would charge to perform the work outlined in the bulletin (whatever it entails)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've had my intermediate shaft changed some 1-2 yrs ago under warranty. Since then warranty has expired. Lo and behold, the noise is back, and I'm pretty sure it's the intermediate shaft again (exactly the same symptoms as described in this thread as well as those experienced last time they fixed it).

I suppose this time the repairs would be out of my own pocket right? Not sure of the fine print in warranty repairs, perhaps the repairs are warrented for 12 months only, and not the life of the car? If this is a common/known problem, wouldn't it be categorised as a design defect, and therefore Toyota liable to either come up with an improved part to permanently fix the problem, or repair it at their own expense? This isn't exactly a 'consumable' part.

I noticed the mention of the technical bulletin which no longer requires changing the part (I guess it was motivated by the cost of warranty repairs :spiteful: ). Does anyone know what the Toyota dealers would charge to perform the work outlined in the bulletin (whatever it entails)?

Thanks.

Pretty unlucky to get the same problem less than two years later. Perhaps the new fix will be better than the original change of parts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks.

Pretty unlucky to get the same problem less than two years later. Perhaps the new fix will be better than the original change of parts?

My Prodigy has been booked in to get the steering checked, in the last week the problem is now more than just when turning, it is evident when you slow down then accelerate without using brakes. The knock and vibration is felt through the steering column. I've had it on jack stands and with no engine on, I can clearly hear the noise near where the shaft connects to the control valve housing sub assembley. If that is where the problem is, why would you get the sensation when not turning the wheel, but slowing down and accelerating?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks.

My Prodigy has been booked in to get the steering checked, in the last week the problem is now more than just when turning, it is evident when you slow down then accelerate without using brakes. The knock and vibration is felt through the steering column. I've had it on jack stands and with no engine on, I can clearly hear the noise near where the shaft connects to the control valve housing sub assembley. If that is where the problem is, why would you get the sensation when not turning the wheel, but slowing down and accelerating?

I finally had the fix as per the TSB, all good now, amazing what a bit of grease does.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, found this link from US website. TSB for the intermediate shaft knowing issue. I did it by myself without disconnect the shaft sub assembly. It work well. The knocking sound disappear. :clap:

Hope this will help.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...sb-0296-08.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

I'm rapt I found this thread, this knocking noise was bugging me so much!!!!

Has anyone had the TSB fix at a dealer? Care to let me know how much you paid?

I called Lane Toyota in VIC, quoted $200 all up, seems steep to me for some grease and light work...

Can I get this done somewhere other than a toyota dealer cheaper?

Thanks

anyone?

i've got a whole lot of expenses coming up on the aurion (brakes, tyres, rego and insurance!) and would like to do this as cheap as possible - other than me doing it as I dont have any tools whatsoever!

Hey guys

I'm rapt I found this thread, this knocking noise was bugging me so much!!!!

Has anyone had the TSB fix at a dealer? Care to let me know how much you paid?

I called Lane Toyota in VIC, quoted $200 all up, seems steep to me for some grease and light work...

Can I get this done somewhere other than a toyota dealer cheaper?

Thanks

I got mine done at Toyota dealership for $110, its only a bit of grease and less than an hours labour!

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have there's steering knock sorted at a Brisbane Toyota dealer under warranty or suggest a mechanic to go to? Mine is 08 Aurion Presara. I notice it just as the cars momentum changes.

I have just had to have my intermediate shaft spline replaced in my Aurion, at a cost of $1000 . only done 47,000ks as this was a known fault i reckon toyota should at least pay for the part $495 even though out of warranty now , anyone have the same problem

• Like 1

I have just had to have my intermediate shaft spline replaced in my Aurion, at a cost of $1000 . only done 47,000ks as this was a known fault i reckon toyota should at least pay for the part $495 even though out of warranty now , anyone have the same problem

why did it cost so much? Surely they could'nt have charged $500 labour,,it only takes like half an hour to do it if that.
  • Like 1

they charged $452.90 for part,$472.50 for labour and they said they had to do a wheel alignment to which cost$121.50 ( 4 Wheels) Do you think this was excessive?

yes, that is very excessive, if you do the job correct, it shouldnt need a wheel alignment(thats also a expensive wheel alignment, the place i work at charge $69 for a full W/A), as for the labour, it only takes not even 30 mins to do it so i don't know where they got that price from