Aurion intermediate shaft spline

boxerboy

Got a quick question for all the gurus and Daryl out there. (Daryl's more than a Guru, he's a god.) :P

I'm obviously getting the pulling to the left issue finally after all this time, so I need to get that sorted. However I am also noticing recently that I'm getting some really strange vibration at 100-110-115 km/h intermittantly. It can cause the steering to shudder noticeably for a few minutes then suddenly it'll be gone.

A particular place I spoke to thinks it may just be road condition mixed with the modified suspension making the car more suspectable to changes in condition through the steering wheel. This i didn't buy at all.

I've had all my tyres changed and my 18" wheels balanced and aligned multiple times. Balancing is fine on all of them, alignment seems to change every so often, most likely the pulling to the left issue doing that.

However it got me thinking, do you guys think that the vibration could be caused by the intermediate shaft issue? It hasn't been replaced yet and it's only just started happening oh about 10,000km ago?

EDIT: Not sure how I'm going to go by this either because the car's out of warranty now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a lurker here now for about a year since purchasing an ex Toyota Aust 07 ATX.

Firstly I have found this forum extremely helpful and enjoyable.

My ATX has only just approached 40K's and started to get the dreaded steering knock.

Took it to dealer and mentioned intermediate shaft...after checking the car they said they would replace the whole steering rack as they believed this is the problem.

My question is whilst the replacement intermediate shaft has a different part number, has Toyota made any adjustment/fixes to the steering rack.

My concern is that having failed at only 40K's I certainly don't want to have to replace again out of warranty in another 40-50K's.

• 1 month later...

First my ATX had the knock, and today I feel it in the '08 Prodigy.

The car is still under warranty, and at 46K is due for a service.

Edited by boxerboy

First my ATX had the knock, and today I feel it in the '08 Prodigy.

The car is still under warranty, and at 46K is due for a service.

Had the service today, and the knock wasn't reproducible.

This knock is felt at low speeds when the brakes are applied lightly...so I'm wondering if it's something else. I've felt it through the pedal, and am wondering if it might be a separate issue from the intermediate shaft.

Having written that, when I first noticed it, it was on a full lock low speed turn, which I haven't been able to simulate since. The braking knock is more consistent.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Toyota Aurion with a 118K on the clock when purchased, have had for about 3 months now (first newish car at 19) and loving it! But i have noticed knocking aswell through the steering wheel when turning or sometimes on takeoff, these sound like the noises some of you are having or are mine different? I told the guy at Toyota and when they took it for a drive ( while i was in the car ) he told me he couldn't hear anything???? then when we got back to the dealer another guy came out and told me it's most likely the steering shaft, I'm abit suspicious on why the 1st guy said he didn't hear anything and this guy is saying its the steering shaft. I have noticed it getting a little bit more frequently now and just wondering on any advice anyone could give me if they have had a similar issue resolved. Cheers.

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Toyota Aurion with a 118K on the clock when purchased, have had for about 3 months now (first newish car at 19) and loving it! But i have noticed knocking aswell through the steering wheel when turning or sometimes on takeoff, these sound like the noises some of you are having or are mine different? I told the guy at Toyota and when they took it for a drive ( while i was in the car ) he told me he couldn't hear anything???? then when we got back to the dealer another guy came out and told me it's most likely the steering shaft, I'm abit suspicious on why the 1st guy said he didn't hear anything and this guy is saying its the steering shaft. I have noticed it getting a little bit more frequently now and just wondering on any advice anyone could give me if they have had a similar issue resolved. Cheers.

Try this have your car with the wheels in the straight ahead position,key on accessories so your steering is unlocked and rock your steering wheel back and forth in a QUICK,SMOOTH,rocking manner.Its no use having the engine running whilst doing the above as the power steering pump will pressurise the rack and you wont feel anything.If you do hear or feel the knocking get someone to climb under and grab the steering rack arms and either pull down or push up on them,chances are when they do that the knocking will cease,pointing to worn inner tie rod joints or rack-end bush.Ive had two new steering racks replaced due to the rack being faulty (manufacturing and tolerances issues apparently)

• 3 weeks later...

Well had the Aurion into the dealer today and they replaced the lower steering shaft. Thank god I took the extra care extended warranty so it was no charge to fix, its a totally different car to drive now the steering is much more precise and that dreaded knock has disappeared :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to inform you guys that I had my '08 Presara's steering shaft replaced today by my Toyota dealer. I had complained to them during my 60K servicing about my steering having a cracking noise whenever I was turning at low speed. I guess it was a manufacturing problem and they replaced the shaft without question asked. Took them 3 hrs to fix it.

For those of you who own an Aurion, I would advise you to check to see if you have this problem. If you have, better get it fixed within your warranty period.

Cheers

Golfie88

• 2 weeks later...

I can add mine to the list as well, went to the dealer and said that I could feel a knocking and straightaway he said it was probably the shaft spline and after service completed it was confirmed. They need to order the part from Japan - 6 to 8 weeks to get here. Quoted $457 so consistent with other members here. I have noticed reading through the posts that it happens at random times - anything from 40k to 110k - do we known what causes the shaft to fault?

I will have to pay for it though as warranty ran out in Dec last year.

.... They need to order the part from Japan - 6 to 8 weeks to get here. Quoted $457 so consistent with other members here. I have noticed reading through the posts that it happens at random times - anything from 40k to 110k - do we known what causes the shaft to fault?

Bugger. I was told it was a manufacturing fault.

I can add mine to the list as well, went to the dealer and said that I could feel a knocking and straightaway he said it was probably the shaft spline and after service completed it was confirmed. They need to order the part from Japan - 6 to 8 weeks to get here. Quoted $457 so consistent with other members here. I have noticed reading through the posts that it happens at random times - anything from 40k to 110k - do we known what causes the shaft to fault?

Hey Kroggie it is a manufacturing fault and when I had mine done it was out of warranty but I had purchased Extra care warranty so it was still covered, they tried to hit me up with 50% of the cost until i told them I had the extra warranty ( for the 3rd time mind you ) they said no worries and screwed up the invoice. Point being even though your warranty is out they should still meet some of the cost seeing that it is a noted fault. I would go back and tell them you know it is a fault and they should agree to 50% of cost. Also I only had to wait 1 week as the part was in stock in Melbourne. Good luck with it all.

hmmmm.... Maybe they have run out of part on stock in Australia :( They did say they have had a lot lately come in for replacements including the RAV's which I know have been mentioned here before - don't know if they exactly the same part. Would be happy to get the part in a week as I hate knwoing there is something wrong with the car.

Will speak to the dealer when the part does come in to see if I can negotiate the price - I saw the notes written on the paperwork said part $457 and when I asked dealer he quoted same cost - so wonder if that includes labor or not....

Okay guys I know I have a Camry but have noticed in the last few weeks when taking off or stopping at lights the car feels strange. The closest thing I can eqaute it to is the feeling you get on a motorbike when your steering head bearings are worn. My camry is a face lift 2006 build 2007 shape and an ex Budget rental. It has 111000 k's on it. Does this sound similar to what you guys are discussing?

I have a mate who is a mechanic and does my transmission servicing, which is due in 3500 K's so I will get him to check it out. I have had two wheel alignments and my fronts are scrubbing out badly on the outside edges. Car drives straight. Again I know this is the Aurion section but the cars share so much and the info here is awesome so I hope you will all forgive me.

Any info is great.

Spied.

hmmmm.... Maybe they have run out of part on stock in Australia :( They did say they have had a lot lately come in for replacements including the RAV's which I know have been mentioned here before - don't know if they exactly the same part. Would be happy to get the part in a week as I hate knwoing there is something wrong with the car.

Will speak to the dealer when the part does come in to see if I can negotiate the price - I saw the notes written on the paperwork said part $457 and when I asked dealer he quoted same cost - so wonder if that includes labor or not....

Yeah they tried to hit me up for $280.00 odd 50% parts and labor from memory ( i swithced off once they said I had to pay ) so yeah hit them up for it :yahoo:

Just had the intermediate shaft on my 2007 ATX replaced yesterday after the knock appeared at 49000K & 1 year out of warranty.

Dealer attempted to get an "out of warranty" fix but I gather he was unsuccessful as he said that the cost was being picked up by the "Extra Care" warranty which I (fortunately) negotiated for 2 years at half-price when buying the Aurion.

All feels & sounds good so hopefully problem won't recur with the replacement part.

Hi All,

I havent been on in a while and came on because I have this issue, and as expected you guys are all over it.

I was just about to head down to Pedders to get them to diagnose it for me but you have saved me the time.

Luckily I took the extended warranty as well so will give Toyota a call tomorrow.

Thank you all for your posts!

Had the same problem with my steering. Toyota did the repair under warranty with less than 40,000 km on the clock, the knock disappeared, it was a knock that could be felt but not heard.

The steering felt weird especially when turning left in sweeping bends. It felt like driving an old car car with a worn engine mounts, It felt like the engine was rocking backwards on acceleration and dropping forwards on deceleration. It was obviously not the engine mounts but the way the steering feel translated the loading up of the steering in the bend under acceleration.

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

i just got my aurion 2008 from southside toyota. Will the extended three years warranty cover my change of shaft? as i have knocking sound when slight braking and turning of steering wheel when moving

Will the extended three years warranty cover my change of shaft?

The dealers can now fix the noise without part replacement. In your situation, I would expect it can be fixed at no cost to you. But only the dealer will be able to tell you something you can be sure of.

Hi 450hptonne

What do you mean dealer can fix without replacing the part? Not sure if I have the same issue as I can't feel the knock but feels heavy and a bit hard when turning in my aurion presara.

Straiv - how quick did you get it replaced? You posted yesterday that you have the problem and fixed it today? I have dealer warranty from Jefferson Ford as Factory warranty expired 29th of July, if they diagnose a problem what's the chances of getting this fixed for free? Thanks

Edited by Avs

Hi 450hptonne

What do you mean dealer can fix without replacing the part? Not sure if I have the same issue as I can't feel the knock but feels heavy and a bit hard when turning in my aurion presara.

Cheers

Will the extended three years warranty cover my change of shaft?

The dealers can now fix the noise without part replacement. In your situation, I would expect it can be fixed at no cost to you. But only the dealer will be able to tell you something you can be sure of.

just got my steering shaft replacement under warranty at no cost. no more knocking sound

Straiv - how quick did you get it replaced? You posted yesterday that you have the problem and fixed it today? I have dealer warranty from Jefferson Ford as Factory warranty expired 29th of July, if they diagnose a problem what's the chances of getting this fixed for free? Thanks

just got my steering shaft replacement under warranty at no cost. no more knocking sound

give em a call and find out.

Straiv - how quick did you get it replaced? You posted

yesterday that you have the problem and fixed it today? I have dealer warranty from Jefferson Ford as Factory warranty expired 29th of July, if they diagnose a problem what's the chances of getting this fixed for free? Thanks

give em a call and find out.

Do u mean Toyota? I need to determine I have the issue prior to taking it to them I guess