Interior trim paint

Steven

Its good to see the great results you guys are getting. I think I will have to try this too, just got to get the confidence, though if it doesn;t work rip it out I spose.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice work Paradigm, but how'd you do around the stereo? i'm still deciding wheather to cover the entire top portion, ie surrounding the satnav unit, and the A/C controls? some pics would help...

Cheers guys. Still some bubbles and stuff in it, but as I say, its only a kinda test run, so I'm not that fussed.

Yoz-r6, I haven't done around the stereo and AC controls yet. I have an aftermarket head unit though, so I just have the doubledin fascia as opposed to doing an actual headunit. I'll probably be finishing it off tomorrow (well, its 2:15am, so I guess today!), so I'll get some photos up once I'm done.

Cheers guys. Still some bubbles and stuff in it, but as I say, its only a kinda test run, so I'm not that fussed.

Yoz-r6, I haven't done around the stereo and AC controls yet. I have an aftermarket head unit though, so I just have the doubledin fascia as opposed to doing an actual headunit. I'll probably be finishing it off tomorrow (well, its 2:15am, so I guess today!), so I'll get some photos up once I'm done.

cool man, can't wait to see the rest! all you guys got me thinkin i might do mine!!!

Can't wait to see how it finishes up, good work Paradigm!

BTW I've been slack but the door trim removal can be found here:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...;hl=remove+door

I know it's very basic, but it really is that simple. The included picture shows where you can find the 3 screws that hold it on. The only thing lacking is that you need to also remove the cover near the dash on the trim where it meets the window glass. It just pops off fairly easily. One the screws and cover are removed, remove the push clip near the dash end of the trim up close to that prior mentioned cover. There's only one of them per trim, just push the center "button" in and the clip will come out.

After that prise the trim outwards starting from the bottom working around the sides - the clips will just pop out. Once they're all out, remove the trim by sliding it upwards to disengage it from where the glass meets the door. Take care to reach behind it and remove the various wiring plugs from power window controls etc on the trim.

I really hope that made sense, I accidentally deleted windows paint so I can't post images. Furthermore I'm a bit tipsy, but it really is straight forward.

Finally get the trims done.. 4 doors plus the two on the fronts.. now just left the ones on the steering wheel.. does anyone know whether it is held by screws or i can just pry it out.. i tried prying but can't seem to get it out.. :angry:

centralconsole0036.jpg

centralconsole0035.jpg

Finally get the trims done.. 4 doors plus the two on the fronts.. now just left the ones on the steering wheel.. does anyone know whether it is held by screws or i can just pry it out.. i tried prying but can't seem to get it out.. :angry:

centralconsole0036.jpg

centralconsole0035.jpg

They are held on by screws. Look behind the steering wheel and you should see some removable covers. Pop them off, then use a torx head screwdriver to remove the screws from both sides of the steering column. The airbag will then move out of place, giving access to the screws that hole on the silver bits.

I considered doing the steering wheel bits, but decided in the end that because i wasn't doing my aircon and stereo, it would match better if I left them silver - Though I'm always prepared to be convinced otherwise :)

They are held on by screws. Look behind the steering wheel and you should see some removable covers. Pop them off, then use a torx head screwdriver to remove the screws from both sides of the steering column. The airbag will then move out of place, giving access to the screws that hole on the silver bits.

I considered doing the steering wheel bits, but decided in the end that because i wasn't doing my aircon and stereo, it would match better if I left them silver - Though I'm always prepared to be convinced otherwise :)

Hmm.. perhaps will give it a try on Wed again.. if not successful .. will give u a shout for help.. hahahaha.. :clap:

Just dont turn your key on while the airbag is disconnected.

To add to that, you should disconnect your battery and wait at least 90 seconds before disconnecting the airbag.

Then after that, it shouldn't matter if your accidentally turn your ignition on while the airbag is disconnected. But the whole disconnecting the battery thing isn't for this reason... it's for safety reasons. That said, I still feel a little bit on the edge every time I have to unplug an airbag. The through of it going off kind of scares me.

Ingres, you saw me remove your airbag before when I fitted your foglights right?

To add to that, you should disconnect your battery and wait at least 90 seconds before disconnecting the airbag.

Then after that, it shouldn't matter if your accidentally turn your ignition on while the airbag is disconnected. But the whole disconnecting the battery thing isn't for this reason... it's for safety reasons. That said, I still feel a little bit on the edge every time I have to unplug an airbag. The through of it going off kind of scares me.

Ingres, you saw me remove your airbag before when I fitted your foglights right?

Dont know if insurance would cover that if you set it off your self modding your car. I usually just put a bit of masking tape over the key barrel to remind me to much effort disconnecting battery and re tuning radio stations lol.

I can't remember if I actually disconnected the airbag - seem to recall just tilting it up and laying it close against the dash cluster whilst still plugged in.

Probably not the best idea, but I needed to test the leds I was replacing at the time and I was too lazy to keep swapping the battery terminals.

Ya i saw u doing it before.. but seeing you do it and doing it myself will be a totally different thing (me and my clumsy hands) .. hahha.. hmm.. sounds scary to do it on my own.. but that is the last part that i am going to do .. sigh .. if only u are back in Brisbane.. then i can get proper instruction from u hahahah..

Dont know if insurance would cover that if you set it off your self modding your car. I usually just put a bit of masking tape over the key barrel to remind me to much effort disconnecting battery and re tuning radio stations lol.

Thanks for the advice Arc.. now wondering whether i should do it afterall .. hahahah..

Each to their own mate, but it's your safety/money at play there. Regardless of the ignition being on or not, the airbag control module can still have power applied to it. Having an airbag go off in your hands is not going to be a pretty sight.

I can't remember if I actually disconnected the airbag - seem to recall just tilting it up and laying it close against the dash cluster whilst still plugged in.

I've done that a few times. Only issue with it is that it is rather easy for the airbag to slide off and then probably break the leads. I've had a couple of scares when it has stated sliding that way before.

Each to their own mate, but it's your safety/money at play there. Regardless of the ignition being on or not, the airbag control module can still have power applied to it. Having an airbag go off in your hands is not going to be a pretty sight.

Dont get me wrong im not recommending to do it my way for someone who is doing it for the first time but someone who works on cars 5 days a week for last 5 yrs i have a quicker process which i have said above which alot of other co-workers use the same process but every car is different so you pick and choose.

Just been thinking.

Whats cooler than fake carbon fibre.....

Answer: REAL carbon fibre!

Would anybody else be interested in getting these parts we've been covering fabricated out of real CF? If I can get enough people interested, I might be able to source a decent price to make the bits. I'm more than happy to forfeit my bits and pieces for a few weeks to be used as templates.

What do you guys reckon?

Dpending on how much is the total cost all over to cover the area the 3M Di-noc sticken have covered in people's DIY...and also DIY!! I don't think any1 would be that much interested, not to mention the finishing and the look is damn good, dunno about the touch.

Edited by VF-X

I'm extremely fond of the look, feel and overall finish with the CF vinyl - and that you can vinyl whatever you want meaning you can make your setup unique (to an extent).

Real carbon fibre would be nice, but some of the shapes would pose great difficult in being fabricated properly, especially since most of the pieces have a rear side designed in such a manner to "clip" into the factory mounting points.

The idea sounds nice, but in the end once you've seen the CF vinyl in person I doubt you'd considered going to the trouble of getting real parts made up.

Looking real good guys!

I understand why you vinyled the dash as I cant stand the small scratches on my dash but how prone is the vinyl to these same scratches or changing shape in the sun?

Looking real good guys!

I understand why you vinyled the dash as I cant stand the small scratches on my dash but how prone is the vinyl to these same scratches or changing shape in the sun?

Unless it's sharp enough to actually cut it, I doubt you'd scratch this stuff very easily at all. I'd say it was definitely more durable than the factory paintjob. As for changing shape, I've had no troubles with it yet

Looking real good guys!

Unless it's sharp enough to actually cut it, I doubt you'd scratch this stuff very easily at all. I'd say it was definitely more durable than the factory paintjob. As for changing shape, I've had no troubles with it yet

HT even if changes shape or peel perhaps 1 year later or something.. u can just re-wrap it again.. it certainly is easier to do once u get the hang of it.. i am just lazy to redo some of the parts which i am still picky about. .

If I were to do such a thing this would be my aim, less is more

2006volkswagenr32dashbo.jpg

To turn your car into a LHD Volkswagen? :huh: :P

Thats a nice finish. Never seen it before. Kinda looks like CF, but in negative.

As a side note, whats up with that speedo?!