Track Day (56k=No)

Glad to hear the car is ok, as we were glad to see you in 1 piece on Saturday (I'm the Mazda 3 guy).

Since you are able to have a laugh of it now, you do need to know that eventually you will be going around the entire internet in one of those sites that have funny/blooper videos right? :P

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to get the Stivo guys down here to come to a few Track Days. I think you just scared them off!

Happy to hear though the car came through it OK and that your back on the road.

we might be able to pull some mazda 3s to come, in melbourne. let us know when you are organising a track day ilivfor6.. bring your rx8 buddies too :P

out of curiousity, how did you mount your camera MAP81? oh yea, what cougs said: "What speed where you goign at?"

downshifted/braked at the wrong time, only one hand on the wheel, balance of the car totally upset, rear end let go... game over :o

In that section of the track if you're wide, the undulations can really upset the car. Unfortunately Mark was pushing the limits of the car a little too hard and paid the price.

The suspension setup in that car leaves a very fine line for error, if you get it wrong, you're gone.

At the previous day with the stock struts and tein springs, it was a lot more forgiving.

The changes from the previous Darlington day where Mark had no handling issues, to last weekends event was:

Cusco Zero-1's installed

Whiteline adjustable front swaybar on softest setting

Whiteline rear swaybar.

The car's very neutral, but when it let's go, you have to be very concise to get it back. Doing this at 170km/h + is challenging ;)

For a view of the same corner in a car that felt a lot less stable than marks car, see this vid: http://www.rollamods.com/videos/Golf_John_lower-track.wmv

John held the car at full throttle through the sweeper, I was in the passenger seat, and wouldn't have had the guts to do the same in that car with it's stock suspension...

Edited by rollamods

glad to hear that everything is OK now, looks kinda scary, I would have been panicking  :huh:  :blink:  :o

me too! i would have been crappin my self.. specially since he has a CAI

you looked relatively calm MAP81.. "o crap" .. > handbrake up

The irony is Chompies, is that is exactly what Mark said when he hit the water...(I've sheen the video... :P )

It was a subtle, hushed, whispered....

Oh Sh!t!!...

Sorry but that was funny. I'm showing to everybody at work and that $hit and pulling the hand brake on and the look into the camera classic.

If you don't win funniest home videos there's something wrong.

But glad to see you are OK and the car's still working.

You have probably put me off a track day

who was the guy on the hill down at the bottom of the straight in the red shirt? cause he would have some nice pics if we could get a hold of them?, also to the guy that posted the pics of the lotus (on the mazda forums) can you take them down as the owner did not want pics posted all over the net.

Whats wrong with pulling the handbrake :blink: I would think its to prevent the car from sliding down further into the fishpond? :D

But MAP81 did you even try to catch te oversteer? Just curious or you just let it go?

who was the guy on the hill down at the bottom of the straight in the red shirt? cause he would have some nice pics if we could get a hold of them?, also to the guy that posted the pics of the lotus (on the mazda forums) can you take them down as the owner did not want pics posted all over the net.

I took them off already, maybe we should now delete every instance of the name of his car to avoid search engines finding it? the word starting with L...

Also i got some of the shots from the red shirt dude, but only of mine and shao's cars.. i give u his details later to talk to him on PM if you want (at work now)

Whats wrong with pulling the handbrake :blink:  I would think its to prevent the car from sliding down further into the fishpond? :D

But MAP81 did you even try to catch te oversteer?  Just curious or you just let it go?

I looks like once the oversteer too hold he tryed to steer out of it and that assisted the slide. What he should have done was steer into the spin, to get the car turned around, to wipe off speed faster and avoid the grass. Though easy to say in hind sight, hard to do in the heat of the moment, plus if there were cars close on his tail then a spin may have ended up in panel damage or maybe even the chance of rolling it. :o :o :o

As it was I think he was actually lucky the pond was there as water is softer then an embankment and less likely to do suspension damage like in a loose sandtrap.

chompies that is my car on the left... :)

thought so mate, i love your grill .. so original

Aerial view of Darlington Park

i hope that's not the track normally.. ? :blink: looks like its flooded

I looks like once the oversteer too hold he tryed to steer out of it and that assisted the slide. What he should have done was steer into the spin, to get the car turned around, to wipe off speed faster and avoid the grass. Though easy to say in hind sight, hard to do in the heat of the moment, plus if there were cars close on his tail then a spin may have ended up in panel damage or maybe even the chance of rolling it.  :o  :o  :o

As it was I think he was actually lucky the pond was there as water is softer then an embankment and less likely to do suspension damage like in a loose sandtrap.

MAP's also extremely lucky he didn't get collected by any trees.. seems like he cut straight through the tree gaps into the water

There were trees?? Didn't notice in the vid clip but they should do somethng about it, its too dangerous at those speeds to have trees near that corner. They should chop those trees down or redesign the track or something.. scary stuff :o

look at Shao's video, there are trees all around the circuit, it looks very unforgiving, unlike Wakefield where you'd be more likely to hit a cow in the next paddock...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was going to say Wakefield Park had nothing except tyre barriers and concrete walls :P Plus it has a lower top speed of about 160km/h for the Stivo, a little more if you are daring or have 6 pot brake calipers :lol: