Muffler Gains

Hey Guys

Ok... I have the CAi and love it, but I am in 2 minds regarding whether to put on a Muffler. I am looking at a magnaflow muffler.

I do realise that the full CES system is very good but I just dont want to spend that much, so it's a choice of a mgnaflow or keep the stock muffler.

My question is, are there significant gains to be made with just a mufler or does it just make the car louder?

I am not after a loud car and really after good value for money mods.

If there are gains, any idea how many kws I could expect?

Anyone tested before or after on a Dyno?

Thanks guys

Gipper

I picked up almost 6kw atw with my magnaflow...

This is the magnaflow details that I gave you Davin :)

This is the one that used to be on shaos car then northy transplanted onto the 1zz :D

Awesome... what is the noise like?

Do you know if it is EPA legal (noise)

$450 installed... does that sound about right?

Edited by Gipper

WHAT?!?!?! wat did u say ....i cant hear u !!!! hahahaha :P :P :P

ITS LOUUUUD!!!!!!!! :D

highly doubt itll be legal in LIFT but under lift n cruising should be OK i think B)

450 sounds bout right :)

WHAT?!?!?! wat did u say ....i cant hear u !!!! hahahaha  :P  :P  :P

ITS LOUUUUD!!!!!!!!  :D

highly doubt itll be legal in LIFT but under lift n cruising should be OK i think  B)

450 sounds bout right  :)

hmmm... I spent year with a 3" exhaust that was about 98db... Spent years in and out of the EPA as well.... he he

It only needs to be 90db or under at 4000prm.

One thing i want is all modifications to be 100% legal... inlcuding EPA.

Doesnt sound like this one is...

We'll see what increase MAP81's $300, flanged and mandrel bent cat back system provides when he gets time off work to have it made. He's getting it done at the same place that did my chaser's pipes which was $900 for a 3" turbo back mandrel bent exhaust incl high flow cat, with immaculate workmanship.

Edited by rollamods

if you worry bout all the legalities all the time you never have any fun :P

Nice in theory, but when you have lost your license for 12 months for a safe overtake in the country, had your car impounded for 2 months before the cops realised the engine wasnt stolen and said "sorry about that", had yellow canaries for the car being 9mm too low because you had several hunded kilos of stuff in the boot and back seat.....

I could go on and on and on....

I would rather the fun without the hassles. I've just had enough of cops.

I prefer to tell a cop to f@#k off as everything is perfectly legal, when he goes over the car looking to book you for anything he can. He can use someone else to prop us his quota.

Me Disgruntled?... never! ;)

CES system = 88db and comes with the test certificate to wave in the cops face when they pull you over!!(haven't had to use it yet!)

so bullit when are you going to use it?

Im guessing as soon as the 1st smart a55 cop comes up to him and says he's gona defect him for is exhaust being to load :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

even if it's under the limit they will still get you for "modified silencing device"

If they really want to be pricks, they can defect you for changing ANY part of the exhaust from the factory config.

even if it's under the limit they will still get you for "modified silencing device"

If they really want to be pricks, they can defect you for changing ANY part of the exhaust from the factory config.

If they want to be pricks, that's up to them, but if your car complies with the letter of the law, all they're going to end up with is some time in court and a whole heap of paperwork.

Plus an official reprimand, if we're lucky! :D

the QLD modification guidelines also state that you are not allowed to modify the factory silencing devices, I've got mates who have taken it to court and lost.

One of the other guys was also given a standing defect for "modified seating capacity" on his parked and locked car for having one side of his split fold rear seats down... He got off on that one though ;)

They cannot do this as it against Australias laws that protect monopolysing an area of sale (ie Toyota and exhausts for it's cars) you can fit any exhaust to your car if you NEED to replace it, as long as it fits with the EPA regulations (sound and emissions).

Edited by Blue_Stivo

fact is they do it, and it's up to the judge if you get let off or not. This is in QLD, I dont have any experience with the legal system in other states.

fact is they do it, and it's up to the judge if you get let off or not.  This is in QLD, I dont have any experience with the legal system in other states.

But as I said, if the exhaust meets all legal obligations (obviously noise and pollution, but I'd imagine other issues like ground clearance would also come into play) then there's no case to answer.

Regardless of your view point, the lesson to learn is this: Before you make any modification to your car, research the legals BEFORE you start. And don't ask a police officer about it, because no two cops agree on anything, it would seem.

You could get a "no, totally illegal" from one officer and then a "yeah, that'd be sweet" from another!

Edited by Buddha

I changed my rear muffler to a semi straight through (straight through was way to loud and plain anoying) and i noticed gains *g-Tech showed 6hp gain* ( i already had the TRD CAI) car feels more responsive up top a bit snapier wen on lift, i had the new rear pipe and muffler made up and installed for 140, and was done to suit my body kit not for noise or performance they are just a little bonus. :) i'll post up a pic soon.