Toyota Sportivo vs DC5R (Honda Integra Type R)

hi im new to these forums, im looking to buy a 2003 sportivo in the upcomeing weeks.

i was just wondering would a corolla sportivo beat a dc-2 type r. considering both stock or both with CAI

Also ive heard much about sportivos not being able to be put into gear when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at high revs , what are the reasons for this and then how do people race with them if they cant take them to high rpms changing quickly

THANKS!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums,

When I first started looking at this website I went to this section:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24512

It will tell you everything about the sportivo.

The DC-2 & Sportivo produce around the same power & torque but the type r weighs less.

I believe, but dont quote me, that ITR is about 14.5 QT while the sportivo is about 15.something :)

As for the gear changes, i personally have never had a problem, i reckon because the car's previous owner was a mother who only drove it to the shops never experiencing lift. The whole gear crunching issue has been detailed at length throughout these forums so simply use the search bar.

Happy hunting

it's not a good comparison , your much better off comparing the 2ZZ powered celicas to the teg , corolla sportivo = convenience with 4 doors etc and is a totally different vehicle to that of the teg or celica

Hey ive raced a couple of tegs i think that the dc2s are a lil bit faster than a sportivo i think due to the fact that they get vtec alot earlier than us but ive raced acouple of Dc5s and beaten them aswell as a Accord Euro. I think its really up to the driver but Dc2s are just that little bit faster its a close race i can tell you that....

I've raced a few dc2's and won, dc3 on the other hand, up to about 80km/h is the same then it leaves me in it's dusts

You must have raced an Accord or the driver off the DC2 was crap,DC2 are 133kg lighter and have LSD

Use may think im lieing, ive raced alot of type r's between dc2 and 5 and once ive lost to a dc2 and i was stock he had a CAI and catback, but since ive gotten my CAI and headers not one type r has came close to me even ones with exact same modifications but what gives type r's the upper hands on sportivos is gear changing If you dont know how to change on a sportivo good ur pretty much screwed, because type r's u can flat change smoother then normal changing in sportivos...

In my point of view i reacon the dc2 goes harder then the dc5, the dc2 shape has given me alot more of a challenge in races then the dc5 like on the m4 last thursday i had a load of 4 and a type r was alone and i ended up with a car length on top of him so imagine if i was alone.

Edit: Mine due each one was 90-100 kilos

Edited by RedSportivo

As if there compariin wrong car? i prefr a sportivo over a dc2 annyday who cares about the weight, Only advantage type r has is a gearbox on a spotivo whats 100kilos yeh its like one extra blok but i still reacon Lift performs better then vtec at the topper rev's i look at em as competetors simlar to WRX STI and a Evolution Street races dont mean jack**** but it does give a bit of idea of how good of a car goes. But who cares anyway u cant go 70km's on normal rode and on highways 110 no use building or havin a faster ar and no use spending alot of $$$ to drive it for 13-14 secs down a straight road.

As if there compariin wrong car? i prefr a sportivo over a dc2 annyday who cares about the weight, Only advantage type r has is a gearbox on a spotivo whats 100kilos yeh its like one extra blok but i still reacon Lift performs better then vtec at the topper rev's i look at em as competetors simlar to WRX STI and a Evolution Street races dont mean jack**** but it does give a bit of idea of how good of a car goes. But who cares anyway u cant go 70km's on normal rode and on highways 110 no use building or havin a faster ar and no use spending alot of $$$ to drive it for 13-14 secs down a straight road.

ok i understood none of that .. but anyway yes you are comparing the wrong vehicle , the celica is the same class and body shape as the teg the sportivo is not it is a four door hatch back completly different car and thus making it an uneven comparison , the same as comparing a kebab to a meat pie doesn't work

Stupid topic is stupid.

Correct comparison would be DC5 (or DC2) vs. ZZT231

and EP3 (or EK9) vs. ZZE123

Also, racing on the street is 1) stupid and 2) means fuck all.

Yeah, i gotta agree with eviltwin on that one. The cars aren't exactly comparable. Or at least they are not as comparable as the STi v EVO IMO. Remember the "r" stands for racing. It's effectively a street legal race car whereas a sportivo is a 600km per tank daily that you can have fun with on the weekends. Obviously there are exception to this, SD e.g., but they are both cool cars.

The four door type r in japan would be a better comparison but still not for the sportivo

i understand that it would be a better comparison but guess what thats not the question being asked. He is asking about a Dc2 and a Corolla Sportivo not a celica not some full on discussion about how its a better comparison.

• 2 months later...

just thought i would add on to this since a raced a dc5 the other day and got him by a car (my stivo is stock) :toast:

For some strange reason the next 2 sets of lights we wer lined up he didnt want to go again lol, we dont blame him but do we hahaha.

For laughs - i told my mate (honda driver) and he would have none of it claiming its impossible for my stock stivo to beat a dc5 LOL i think they all just live in denial haha

So one of these threads has been asked again. Nothing wrong with it at all before you may ask.

It's good to have these discussions but just the usual answers and responses are based on opinions, or on past experiences that have too many variations. It is hard to compare cars with other cars, let alone the same car model with another exact model. There are too many variations, the driver being the biggest!

Like a few have said above, in a straight line or on the street mean jack all. Do it on the track then you can brag if you want to; don't risk other people's lives and your own on the streets. My 2 cents.

Regarding to the topic, in the perfect world where both drivers are equally the same in skill, I would say dc2r.

ok before i respond ..... guys keep it safe and keep it on the track.

To the question @ hand ..... all things being equal sorry to say guys the honda platform is better built and tuned for performance out of the factory. Its lighter & has an LSD & in the case of the DC5 it pushes more power & torque @ lower RPM's

Now reality is that all things are not equal and all drivers are not as equally gifted and all cars dont perform exactly the same. The DC2 is an older car and if not looked after probably wont perform as it once did ..... however the same could be said about the sportivo if it hasnt been looked after ..... The reality is that you will see all mixed results and there is no black and white answer when the comparison is applied in the real world. & the answer to the question is:

It depends

I say main points for the dc2r are

LSD

better chassis (seated lower and weight distribution)

independent rear sus

more sporty look 2 door coupe (they even didnt put in sound deadening to save weight, much more track orientated car)

more parts readily available IMO

stock recaros

5 stud hubs (more range of rims)

Points for the Sportivo

looks like a regular corolla, more under the radar

nice leather interior

2zz similar power output to B18 in dc2r

easily to get in and out

4 door

Just depends on what you want.

In a straight line the difference wont be much but on the track the dc2r will excel.

Edited by clifton

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla Sportivo. So far mods include: CAI & full exahust with 2.5" mandrel bent piping, high flow cat and hurricane extractors.

I want to be able to out perform stock or mildly modded (exahust/CAI etc..) DC5R. What else is NEEDED??