What made you pick your current car and modify it?

* Please understand that I am not trying to be a douche , I genuinely want to know what drives and inspires you guys to mod a car like a Camry...

Ok so after getting a message from Hiro for resurrecting old threads ( which was my fault,didn't check the post date ). I asked him why the supra section was so dead. He said its because most people drive late model Camry's , rollas and Aurions. Ive been browsing through these forums for the past two days and have really seen some amazing mods. However my question is...why do you guys mod cars that really have no decent potential performance or looks wise.

They are heavy family sedans that make the majority of people think they are trying to do up a family car...which leads to many assuming they are ricers. Not trying to be a d*ckhead but why oh why would you spend $15 000 on a corolla or Aurion and then do it up. It really makes people think that they want a fast car, simply cannot afford it , so they are just doing mods in the hope that the car they end up with will be partially respectable but because its a frickin camry or corolla...it isn't.

After looking around on the forum Ive seen how much these guys have dropped into their ride and the time they have taken to mod it to their tastes. But why? There are so many better alternatives out there that ..I mean its not like most of these guys are on their p's and just waiting to get a turbo monster, they have purposely chose a late model camry or rolla to modify! why????

With the money they spend they can get cars that

a)are cheaper

b)look better (i do concede that this is merely an opinion)

c)doesn't have the side effect of making everyone think that you are a ricer and an idiot by attempting to do up a family sedan.

d)actually have aftermarket support and can be modified to produce respectable amounts of power ( 200kw + )

If you love Toyota thats fine , the newer(and older supras are everywhere and are monstors .Even the ma61's have more perfomance potential then a late model camry does. The jzx100 can easily house your kids in the back and its 4 doors. Even if you want to go retro , the old school corolla with the 4agze can really stand out when turbocharged(back when everything wasn't about emissions and the environment). There are ample iterations of cars that have great modifying potential, why pick ones that Toyota intended to build for reliability and comfort rather then performance or looks?

Please understand that I am not trying to be an insulting or anything like that , I truly want to know your guys thought processes and why you'd actually do that? I assumed only those that had been given the car by their parents would do basic mods to keep them tied over until they can buy cars that where actually designed from factory for some level of performance, but this is not the case.

I know I will be hated and flamed for this topic as many of you drive the very cars this question is about , please understand it is not my intent to insult , but to truly know...why? :blink:

Edited by aloshan

Because I couldn't save up for a supra, and when I began to research on mods for camrys, they were available, and challenging because its limited in aus, (but there are a lot in the Toyota nation forum mostly in the us)

And I want to be the most "unique" camry (02-06 series specifically) in Melbourne.

• Like 1

Hey d!ckhead i'm one of those ricer idiots you refer to more than once,to me it doesn't matter how much you try and sugarcoat your little story all your doing is having a dig,so fark right off and go an eat a d!ck...fark i hate haters :angry:

This thred should be CLOSED based on sheer ignorance

Because I couldn't save up for a supra, and when I began to research on mods for camrys, they were available, and challenging because its limited in aus, (but there are a lot in the Toyota nation forum mostly in the us)

And I want to be the most "unique" camry (02-06 series specifically) in Melbourne.

thank you for being mature enough to not be offended by my question...i truly mean no harm. I also couldnt afford a newer supra at first...then I just didnt want one because after the p plate laws came in , the 2jzge powered ones became to common. Thats why I settled on an mk3 to mod to my tastes.

you really couldn't find another car that was available,challenging and limited but not toyota's most boring family sedan? I'm sorry but I find that impossible.... there are SO many options out there , i cant accept that the Camry was the last option left...

Edited by aloshan

Because I can...I don't have justify my reasons to anyone.

Be a bit more respectful towards other people's choices mate and you will receive respect back. If you can't be respectful please join www.boostcruising.com.au and delete your account here.

Hey d!ckhead i'm one of those ricer idiots you refer to more than once,to me it doesn't matter how much you try and sugarcoat your little story all your doing is having a dig,so fark right off and go an eat a d!ck...fark i hate haters :angry:

This thred should be CLOSED based on sheer ignorance

Its spelt "thread". Seem to have touched a nerve there "1stkill" . Seems like you knew all this about your car already....Anyway what an intelligent and mature response,I can see why YOU would think that an Aurion is a "sports" car.

Now that I have attacked(as a reaction to his post) what I'm sure must be the idol of many of you, let the flaming continue.... I do hope in between the flames and hate that I get an actual answer.

If I do ask a non camry/corolla owner , the response is "because they are r*cer dickheads ,just watched fast and furious , have no money and feel like being part of the racing crowd" .I know however that this is not true , the newer Camry is more expensive than most 200's ,skylines,supras etc , so its not a money factor.... so what is it?

Everything you have said has been based on opinion. Your opinion. Other people's and your opinion does not bias me on what I do with my money or what car I modify. To be honest if you don't like what we do, don't look and especially don't insult people because they don't modify the same style of car as you. Go to a JDM style car meet and tell me that you dont see any 4 door sedans there. Some of us like doing things outside of the box, because we don't want to fit in to the norm. It's our choice, suck it up and live with it because you won't change it.

Be thankful you get a chance to voice your opinion here, because I guarantee it could all come to an end very quickly.

you really couldn't find another car that was available,challenging and limited but not toyota's most boring family sedan? I'm sorry but I find that impossible.... there are SO many options out there , i cant accept that the Camry was the last option left...

the camry has a sentimental value, and it was given to me, if i didnt get the camry, i wouldnt have found this forum, and the wonderful and friendly people here.

• Like 1

ALOSHAN - No matter how many times I read your first post, it comes across as biased, narrow minded and extremely offensive. This would be my guess as to why you've "hit a nerve" with a few people here. There are much better ways to ask the question "What made you decide to make an Aurion/Camry etc as your car to mod?"

Oopps, just like that I guess.

Also loving how you state in your OP that a respectable amount of power is 200kw+... Well then I'm glad I achieved that level of power without too much hassle.

Now to seriously answer your question

Medium to Large 4 door sedans have always been my preference with cars, being a large bloke myself and appreciating having the convenience of a car that is more universal in it's uses then a dedicated sports car. I was a former hardcore Holden fan and was looking at a v8 Commodore for my new car, but after driving the VE I didn't really feel I was stepping up from my previous car, a v6 VT Commodore. Sure the power was there but I wasn't fond of the general feel of the vehicle. I then tried several offerings from Ford, Mitsubishi and then Toyota. The Aurion for me felt like the best all round compromise of having decent poke, good fuel economy, decent build quality and coming from a brand who's name rings synonymous with "Reliability".

Whilst more power would have been nice 1/10th of the time, the fuel economy of the v6 rings better the other 9/10ths. Plus is was powerful enough for me.

I also like the looks of the Aurion, and despite your narrow opinion I frequently get positive comments even from complete strangers off the street. A modded Aurion is a somewhat rare thing so people tend to take a 2nd look and appreciate it more.

At the end of the day though, I could go on hours to get across the specifics as to why I like my Aurion but I won't as it's pointless. It's my decision and if you can't understand why I have that opinion, then welcome to the real world buddy. Go have a cry that someone likes something you don't and fuck off (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)

At the end of the day it comes to a persons own personal choice really.

Even though Camry and Aurion are Family Vehicles, you can still do mods on them here and there to make it stand out and be unique.

While at the same time, you can go places or long drives in comfort, have extra room, boot space etc....

The chances of getting defected in a sooped up Camry or Aurion is much less than a Modified Sports car.

• Like 2

Thanks for the honest answers.Im sorry that I didnt ask it in a better way , I just truly wanted to ask this question before, not why an aurion , but "why an aurion if you are a car enthusiast when there are so many better offerings for what you desire."

So from Steven , because of its economical nature , because you like how it looks , trust the brand that makes it for being reliable and has the power when and if you need it. That seems perfectly understandable.

Ronnyboy likes the grand touring nature of the car and the fact that they aren't seen as hoon cars and less likely to end you up in trouble with the cops

and for jeff its a matter of sentiment.

thanks for giving me deeper insight into this and actually answering my question without flaming the $hit out of me.

(flame suit still on :) )

Edited by aloshan

Thanks for the honest answers.Im sorry that I didnt ask it in a better way , I just truly wanted to ask this question before, not why an aurion , but "why an aurion if you are a car enthusiast when there are so many better offerings for what you desire."

What defines better offerings though? Safety? Electronic assistance? Power? Driver and passenger room? Boot space? Handling? Being a 'car enthusiast' does not immediately put your priorities for your car of choice as power and handling being your top 2.

As for what one 'desires' that is completely subjective. I have a modified Camry and have spent enough that I could have easily bought a GC8 WRX with plenty of pocket change that would be faster and handle better than it. But that isn't what it is all about.

WOW.. that was exciting.. each to their own eh. We all worship the great Toyota which brings us together, we might not agree on everything or anything the next man says, but we at least have the Toyota badge that we all agree is a good thing.. Oh what a feeling!

I think it was a blatantly loaded question with endless answers.

Ive done the hypo Jap/drift thing ten+ years ago,Ive grown out of that. The ZRE Corolla is my fun and the LS430 is my cruiser. I suggest you check them out before you say too much....

Camry/Aurion/Corolla: Seriously man, who really cares as long as it brings a smile to the owners face. It about pride and fulfillment, not dyno figures.

Oh, and a lot of us were modding cars before the term "rice" was even invented or widely used, you know, BEFORE Fast and Furious.

Do you post this on every forum? Why do people modify their Accords,Mazda 3's, 6's, Magnas,Cruzes,Maximas etc etc .... There are enthusiasts for every make of car and some sort of club or forum,every car has a following whether it's what the family has, what you learn't to drive in or you have a thing for sedans, hatches, utes or whatever, that's just the way of the world, you like what you like and that's that....

You claim to be a car person, you should totally understand what that means...

Any way give my best to Ellie May

.... but "why an aurion if you are a car enthusiast when there are so many better offerings for what you desire."

Who are you to define what a car enthusiast should be interested in and what they would classify as "better offerings". I don't go up to a wine connoisseur and have a go at them simply because they dislike a particular wine that I enjoy. Learn to respect other people's tastes. No matter how you word it, your original post was aimed at nearly everyone here and was basically calling them all ricers and asking them to act mature because you were being an a**ehole who thinks your standards are better than everyone elses.

[if I do ask a non camry/corolla owner , the response is "because they are r*cer dickheads ,just watched fast and furious , have no money and feel like being part of the racing crowd" .I know however that this is not true , the newer Camry is more expensive than most 200's ,skylines,supras etc , so its not a money factor.... so what is it?

Yeah... because we all need a fast, high performance vehicle because we are all mad street racers.

I am not sure how to approach this question.

I own a 4 door, boring sedan... that also happens to be a V8. I also have a small economical hatchback... and a couple of two door sports cars....

I guess the main point that comes from this is;

It is not what you own, but your passion that makes you a car person.

You can be a dedicated car person and own a yaris (hell I am and I do) or you can own a supra... or you can own a camry. It does not matter, if you are passionate about cars, then you are passionate about cars, thats it.

Use to be like this, wonder why people would spend so much money on how a family/eco car looks rather than get an actual fast car when i use to own my lancer (4wd turbo).

After some time I realised that not everyone wants a old ****ty sports car, RWD/AWD, high power, high running costs, petrol bills, stiff suspension, etc...

Hell, I drove an F6 for awhile, the only chance you can get to feel the full 310kw is to break the law considerably.

And another note, most people (non-car people) prefer the newer model cars (modified or not), Sure, my 95 Lancer was very quick, but to most poeple (generalization of the public) its just another ****ty noisy ricer lancer that goes woosh, and if you think your supra isn't one of them... HA! you will be in for a shock.

Hell, I have alot of friends not into cars and they call any car older than 10 years with some modification rice (particularly the women :( ), however a Holden or Ford is immune for some reason.

If it gets too far out of hand I will simply close it.

OP brings some semi-valid discussion to the table, but how he presented it was wrong.

I guess look at the question this way,

"What made you pick your current car and modify it?"