"URGENT" Toyota Recalls 7.4 Million Cars

Toyota is recalling over seven million cars worldwide due to a fire risk caused by the electric windows.

What's the Problem?

The problem is down to the master window switch on the driver's side which appears to be "notchy or sticky" according to Toyota. The fire risk occurs when any commercially available lubricant is applied in an attempt to solve the problem.

What cars are affected?

It affects most models in the Toyota range including Corolla, Kluger, RAV4, Yaris, Aurion and Camry vehicles built between 2006 and 2010. A total of around 298,000 cars are affected in Australia.

What happens next?

Toyota will commence a mailout to owners of affected vehicles at their last known address from mid-November and ask owners to book an appointment to get the fault repaired. If you are particularly concerned you can check if your car is affected by getting in touch with Toyota direct or going down you local dealer. Toyota will either replace the faulty switch or lubricate it with a purpose made lubricant depending on how bad it is. Repairs will be carried out free of charge.

If you have been affected by the recall please let us know how you get on below. And we are also happy to try answer any questions you might have about what is happening with the recall.

You can check out our full article on the Toyota worldwide recall here: http://au.toyotaowne...million-cars-au

Toyota will be carrying out all work free of charge. They will replace or lubricate the switch depending on how bad the problem is on your car. If you are selling your car then the new owner should be able to go along to a dealer to get it sorted as long as they have all the right paperwork. The alternative is you could get it sorted before it is sold.

As a Toyota technician, the first I heard about it was on news.com.au last night, then on the telly again this morning. I'm wondering how the media finds out about this before the Toyota mechanics do? As for myself, I have a 2008 (registered 2009) Aurion. No issues with my window switch, or even my motor/regulator assembly being noisy as the window goes up.

For those that haven't read about it yet, follow these links

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/toyota-to-recall-300000-cars-in-australia-74-million-worldwide/story-fnda1bsz-1226493055573

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/national/toyota-to-recall-300000-cars/story-e6frfku9-1226493045829

Edited by Muzza P

Hi Toyota Team

I bought Second Hand Toyota Corolla; but have been taking it for servicing at Local Toyota Dealer.

What I have noticed is that once you have changed the address or, if you are not the First owner; you never get the notification from Toyota regarding the fault and actions to take to mitigate the fire risk.

When there was an issue with Toyota Yaris back in 2008; I found out about the driver's seat fire hazard only from the TV News. I had moved to a new address after I bought my car and the fire hazard notification wasn't received.

I request Toyota to announce hazard risk information on TV; this will ensure mass population are aware and Toyota gets minimal damage claims.

To answer the question "what if I am not the original owner?" we recommend that you just ring Toyota direct on 1800 987 366 or contact your local dealer. They should have a list of the VIN numbers for the cars that are affected. In theory they should send a notice to the address that VIN number is registered to but if you go direct to them they should be able to tell you for sure.

The mailout to owners has only just commenced and won't be completed until mid-november.

It is probably fine but if you have a concern the best thing to do is get in touch with Toyota. Switches affected will still work fine but the switch itself may feel sticky or notchy. It only affects the driver's side so see how it feels in comparison to the others in your car.

At the end of the day the only way to be certain is hearing from Toyota so we would just contact them, quote your registration or VIN number and they should be able to tell you whether or not your car is part of the recall.

Difference between the oil line issue and this switch issue is safety. If the switch fails in the way that they have reported on the very small amount of cases they have had, it can cause a fire. The oil line on the other hand is just an inconvenience. Plus the oil line issue was mainly occurring in the US.

• 4 weeks later...

I am at a loss as to why someone would squirt WD40 or any other lubricant in to an electrical switch...

Cara sprayed degreaser on the dash to try and kill a spider once....

I am at a loss as to why someone would squirt WD40 or any other lubricant in to an electrical switch...

Natural Selection

LOL :lol:

Andrew found a spider in the house, so he got a tissue, approached it slowly and very carefully burned the house down.

Damn spiders.