Cheapest/best performance mod?

Jonn0

Hi All

I have recently purchased a Stivo and LOVING IT!!!

I've noticed a lot of mods happening in the forum and trying to learn the lingo that is going on, Perhaps an idea to start a sticky note glossary of terms for newbie’s like my self? Any way……

All the reading I've been doing about mods in the Toyotas Owners Club has got me thinking about what would be the best mod to do to my car, performance wise for say under the $1500 mark?

I am very happy with the looks of the car and exterior... I am also very happy with the performance but my mind is asking the question how much... and what is the best bang for the buck add-on I can do in the future for that little extra performance?

Cheers guys :D :D

To start up first mod BANG FOR BUCKS= CAI....Cold Air Intake kit with a performance Air filter there are several different brands available now ranging from $200----$500!!!!JUst do some shopping around you'll find a great bargin sumwhere!!! :D

Hi RunX

Thanks for the tip... I'll make a note of that ... Do you know how much more performance that will give you?

Sorry I would like to know a little more details I'm rather new to all this stuff and am wanting to learn :P

Also does this use up more fuel? Pro's Cons? any extra info would be great :-)

Thanks once again for the tip :D

Hi RunX

Thanks for the tip... I'll make a note of that ... Do you know how much more performance that will give you?

Sorry I would like to know a little more details I'm rather new to all this stuff and am wanting to learn  :P

Also does this use up more fuel?  Pro's Cons?  any extra info would be great :-)

Thanks once again for the tip  :D

hi fudge, and welcome :D

before u get flamed by the other guys, the cai topic has been covered a great deal. so use the search function and search up the word "intake". you'll have all your answers and even more covered through the older topics. cheers~ ;)

Hi BigBum

Thanks for the reply... I will definatly have a look at the older posts.. I have already started actualy :D But still finding some of the terminology dificult as I'm still trying to find out what all the acronyms stand for and even when I know I don't quite know what it does... LOL... I've got a lot of catching up to do... But I'm getting there.. I already know alot more then I did 3 hours ago...

Thanks for all your support so far... sounds like there is a good bunch of people in this forum! and some really KICK ***** cars... LOL B)

Cheers

FB

gday mate good to see another member.

hope you enjoy the stivo.

mods for thje cash ya looking to spend for performance.]

ECU

EXTRACTORS

EXHAUST SYSTEM

CAI

probably bang for buck would be the ecu or extractors & exhaust.

but personally i would wait before you mod anything on the motor.

if the car is brand new wait for at least a year or 2 because of warranty issues.

theres been quite a few issues people have had with there rollas ( not all)

but just cover your bases and get any bugs out of the way before ya mod up ya little beast.

otherwise youll void ya warranty.

you can always buy the gear an add it on later.

anyway good luck with the car have fun in it like the rest of us.

hey mate well i got me a cat back zorst including cat and a cold air intake with a performance pod

cost me under 1500 and im telling you now man seperate the increases felt awesome i can only imagine how much better it would feel if you got both on at the same time

thats what i reckon either that or go for a lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch

thats actually my next mod too

Hi All

I have recently purchased a Stivo and LOVING IT!!!

I've noticed a lot of mods happening in the forum and trying to learn the lingo that is going on, Perhaps an idea to start a sticky note glossary of terms for newbie’s like my self?  Any way……

All the reading I've been doing about mods in the Toyotas Owners Club has got me thinking about what would be the best mod to do to my car, performance wise for say under the $1500 mark?

I am very happy with the looks of the car and exterior... I am also very happy with the performance but my mind is asking the question how much... and what is the best bang for the buck add-on I can do in the future for that little extra performance?

Cheers guys :D :D

Suspension, wheels and a good tune. As per dyno day, a well tuned stivo makes as much power as ones with CAI's and Exhausts.

Get the fuel/air mixture right, and you got yourself a rocket dude.

umm if u want to retain your stock 2.25 inch piping like i did

get a good brand muffler, i got apexi n1

CAI, i opted for a short ram apexi power intake

Springs + rear swaybar + front strut

you get the best of both worlds!

CES exhaust system and a TRD intake with ITG filter... There's $1500 and about a 15kw gain. :D

And proven too!!! Just see the 2005 Qld Dyno Day results....

Don't forget the big-a$$ stickers on your windows, there's definitly 5kW there :P

I'd work the suspension first you'll get so much more enjoyment out of the car.

If you spend that money on performance mods you'll still only see small increases in power. <_<

But spend it on suspension and you'll see a dramatic improvement in the way the car handles. ;)

And it will look horn too :D

Woooooo... So many options.. :blink: LOL

Thanks very much guys, I'm going to have to try and read up, and try and learn about all of the sujestions, still not too sure what some of them do but I'm getting there :P

Well better get into the reading and find out about it all now :unsure:

Cheers once again guys, been a great help :D

Edited by fudgebottom

chepest, most effective mod to get reponce from the car and looks from other people entail 2 things.

removing of the foam from around the intake runners,

opening of the airbox and reversing the clips

these 2 will give you added throttle responce and a lovely note to the engine :D

*WARNING* the air box being open can be harmfull to your engine. Do it at your own risk and for short periods of time IF ANY!

^^^^^^ "the diesel rumble"

:ph34r:

keeping the car naturally aspirated (NA) your gonna be hard pressed to do much more than what the people have mentioned above.

If you want alot more power for a cost effective option ull need to go force fed (blower or turbo) but agian it depends what ur after. I use to be involved with a lancer club a few years back and people were getting good gains with a simple low boost turbo kit. It is a straight bolt on and cost about 6-8k. a 87kw lancer at the flywheel would then be about 110kw at the wheels when dyno tuned after the turbo. of course there would be a variance of aorund 10kw either side depending on the different parts and tuning u use.

Nice... Turbo...

Has any one droped a turbo in the Sportivo as yet? I think it would take off then... LOL

Any ideas on a price for turbos installed drive away price? (Just rough ideas) obviously for our Sportivos :D are we looking aroud the same price? 6-7K?

If you get a turbo installed do you need to upgrade any other parts in the car to handel the extra presure/speed...etc..etc.? Also what would be the new specs of the car after this? Any one have any ideas? B)

Cheers boys

Edited by fudgebottom

Hi dude. Welcome to the forum.

I think that the best way for you to learn about what all this car jargon stuff is about is to come for one of the many meets that we have all over Australia.

Which state are you in? Meeting up with one of the boys in your state will really when it comes to seeing different mods and ricey stuff that people have doen to their cars.

ps. Please fill in your location in your particulars, thanks. :D

Hi dude. Welcome to the forum.

I think that the best way for you to learn about what all this car jargon stuff is about is to come for one of the many meets that we have all over Australia.

Which state are you in? Meeting up with one of the boys in your state will really when it comes to seeing different mods and ricey stuff that people have doen to their cars.

ps. Please fill in your location in your particulars, thanks.  :D

turbo parts -

turbo, intercooler, exhaust manifold, BOV (if u want), ECU, injectors, and u may want to upgrade the brakes and get a turbo timer

should all be included in the turbo kit

• 3 weeks later...

personally i think a REALLY quick NA car gets more respect, specially when you pull strong times and beat turbos THEN tell them its NA

hehe i know what my face looks like when an NA car blasts past turbod cars on the streets HEHE

including our stivos (ie SSS pulsars hahahaha)