Intercooler Style Air Filters

Hi all,

All these talk about CAI.... I'm kinda jealous CAUSE I ONLY HAVE A K&N PANEL FILTER :lol: :D :lol::lol:

Anyway, has anyone seen/have an Intercooler Style Air Filter or know of it. Is there any benifits in having one, or is it just for rice... which actually looks nice :P

I need Pros and Cons pplz.... :)

Edited by Rainman

Heya, Just got quoted $125 just for the intercooler style air filter by the distributor for Autotecnica. :)

Would few inches more piping really have that much effect on the throttle response? But besides that, I gotta admit that it does kinda looks good :) :) :)

I'm with Rollamods on this one, too long, butyeah, give it a try if you don't mind the investment.

Also depends on what look you want your car to have. I find that most guys I see with an intercooler hangin out the bottom of their front ends are usually trying to prove something, at least on this side of Brissy they do anyway....

Personally try hard rice and wanna be intercoolers are just so not cool. You'll attract attention for all the wrong reasons I reckon.... I mean people will prolly laugh at you and call you some names that you wont appreciate. :(

You can tell straight away thats not a real intercooler, and you're right its all about RICE, but it doesnt look nice.

I reckon you'll have more ppl pointing and laughing at ya than anything else.

Some ppl may say it looks good, but there will more "WTF, what an idiot" comments.

Reckon you should spend the money on a CAI instead.

Edited by neK

You can tell straight away thats not a real intercooler, and you're right its all about RICE, but it doesnt look nice.

I reckon you'll have more ppl pointing and laughing at ya than anything else.

Some ppl may say it looks good, but there will more "WTF, what an idiot" comments.

Reckon you should spend the money on a CAI instead.

Unfortunately, that rice ain't nice - i totally agree with Nek - for just 280, u can get a CAI made up for you -

Spectra Cai - i got one :)

We tested 1 of those 2 years ago the plastic pannel in front has to go for the first thing!!! The next problem was the size of the filter it was very restrictive on throttle response and the filtering element isnt the best quality either and if the filter goes all crappy cos of water mud rain etc you cant buy another replacement!!! The other MAJOR problem that we found was the in heavy traffic when you are close to a car with quite alot of exhaust it gets sucked in and the car stalls out!!! I could go on but i think you get the picture its DEFINATELY RICE!!! LOL :lol: :P :D I must say they look cool

That Intake is much too long, amongst other things wrong with it.

Don't flame me, but IMO even the current crop of CAI's (Injen, AEM, TRD CES etc) are bordering on too long for a crisp throttle response.

Where they benefit is from their capacity for cooler/larger air volume.

But in my opinion a properly shielded and ventilated SRI is still the goods.

Ok flame away now ....

:P

OK, thanks for all your feedbackS. :) It's greatly appreciated :)

And thanks for RUNX explaination of his experience in testing with one of these filters. :)

So the tally is up:

ALL RICE AND NOT NICE :lol::lol::lol::lol: :D :D :D

Note --> Isn't it nice to get everyone on the same boat in mentioning all the brands of CAIs in a sentence in a good way. :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :P

We tested 1 of those 2 years ago the plastic pannel in front has to go for the first thing!!! The next problem was the size of the filter it was very restrictive on throttle response and the filtering element isnt the best quality either and if the filter goes all crappy cos of water mud rain etc you cant buy another replacement!!! The other MAJOR problem that we found was the in heavy traffic when you are close to a car with quite alot of exhaust it gets sucked in and the car stalls out!!! I could go on but i think you get the picture its DEFINATELY RICE!!! LOL :lol: :P :D I must say they look cool

There you have it from the pro!