Sportivo Exhaust

That was Peekay and livfor6 driving side by side. As for cold air being worse, no way dude, the cooler the air, the denser, more combustion, more power. The stock exhaust is pretty good, infact i'll stick my neck out again and say that unless youre gona do internal work (cams etc) or forced induction, its a complete waste of money to think youre going to get massive gains from air intake and exhaust. We all know these engines are highly tuned, any tampering and you are more likely to loose power than make it.

THANKYOU!!!

Melb vs Qld Temps

Melb can get hotter than most in Qld so that part is bull...

I have a CES system and most of the improvement that I feel is in the Mid range RPM the car is much better to drive in the 3000-5000 rpm range... Top end power who cares how often do you drive at 8000rpm

Top end power who cares how often do you drive at 8000rpm

All day everyday :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D Except on double demerit days :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Top end power who cares how often do you drive at 8000rpm

All day everyday :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D Except on double demerit days :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

I agree...we're making around 200nm odd of torque at 8,000rpm...I want it ALLLLL!! lol

I reckon they do give gains too man. Just don't wanna spend that much on minimal gains that's all. Stock is ok...bah i'll live with it.

Your car's lookin phat mowog :D

I had little accident with my exhaust so instead of replacing it with a stock system I got a CES fitted.

Heres a hi res shot

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/57973342/

And some others for fun

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/122347707/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/122347707/

So if u havent got much to spend than im sure myself and other members will just recommend u just purchase a CAI. (Do a search for Cai please dont start a new topic :angry: ) Only CES have invented a custom exhaust for our corollas .. u can go to any exhaust shop and ask them to make up 1 but i guess they cant garranty u will gain 3-10kw.

If u want noise than just buy a muffler but beware u might lose abit of bottom end power as myself and other guys from here have recognised. :huh:

Edit: Couldn't resist, but I really shouldnt be that nasty

Post removed cause I just couldn't bear to make someone feel any more unwelcome than they already are. . . . . . .

Edited by -JC-

Melb vs Qld Temps

I have a CES system and most of the improvement that I feel is in the Mid range RPM the car is much better to drive in the 3000-5000 rpm range... Top end power who cares how often do you drive at 8000rpm

True, but Qld can get colder than Vic at times, too ... the point is that Qld is consistently a warmer climate than Melb.

You make an excellent point about your CES system ... you've noticed an improvement by having it. Whether that's good value to you or not depends on yourself, but I think too many people put too much credence on a certain kW increase with mods.

I wouldn't have a clue how many kW my panel filter and sports exhaust have added, but its definitely improved the drivability and sound of the car ... so I'm rapt. Someone else might have dynoed it before and after and seen 1kW on the screen, and to them it might be a waste of time as a result.

Here's an interesting question ... has anyone compared a 100kW Rolla with the 93kW version? 7kW diff at the flywheel should mean, say, 4-5kW diff at the wheels (uneducated guesstimate) ... I wonder how many people can pick the difference by seat-of-the-pants :)

For me the difference was not having to go back to 5th on an uphill section I drive on every day. I can now stay in 6th with no problems.

I am little older than most here and one drawback with the CES has been the Highway noise. I took it for a long weekend drive up the A3 to Monto (Qld). A combination of lowered suspension and modded exhaust made the trip a little unpleasant. But for what I use my Corolla for as a daily commuter I love the exhuast. Road Trips will be done in the Territory from now on.

Melb vs Qld Temps

True, but Qld can get colder than Vic at times, too ... the point is that Qld is consistently a warmer climate than Melb.

You make an excellent point about your CES system ... you've noticed an improvement by having it. Whether that's good value to you or not depends on yourself, but I think too many people put too much credence on a certain kW increase with mods.

I wouldn't have a clue how many kW my panel filter and sports exhaust have added, but its definitely improved the drivability and sound of the car ... so I'm rapt. Someone else might have dynoed it before and after and seen 1kW on the screen, and to them it might be a waste of time as a result.

Here's an interesting question ... has anyone compared a 100kW Rolla with the 93kW version? 7kW diff at the flywheel should mean, say, 4-5kW diff at the wheels (uneducated guesstimate) ... I wonder how many people can pick the difference by seat-of-the-pants :)

Good question Buddha !

Me and Corzza (Pete) done some independant testing after a meet a while back.

ME : 2002 levin. 100KW - Mods : Sportivo Exhasust - Rims - King Springs 60.000ks

PETE : 2005 Levin 93KW - Mods : TRD CAI - 2 1/4 catback with Xforce Muffler - King Springs - Rims 18,000

After a few indenpendant tests (hahahahah) we found our cars to be very close. He got one up on me due to a bad shift on my part, then we were mostly side by side. One thing i did notice was he was shifting 1st - 2nd quicker then me as i was at 5000 when he sifted each time. he said he was at limiter. Im guessing thats the CAI making the car Rev quicker.

Edited by SyxXPaC

ypi it was a side by side battle indeed! still not sure what power my car has! anyway the CAI does allow your car to rev up quicker because of less restriction.

Anyway bill all you need is a CAI and we can carry on with our testing. but as i said before there will be little diffrence between the 93 and 100kw possibly a 0.1 or .2 of a sec!

I wonder if the electronic throttle has any impact on that? Do you think it helps or hinders progress?

One would assume that the electronics can think and/or move faster than a mechanical process, so in theory the electronics should be more responsive.

The other thing, I guess, is variables motor-to-motor ... for example, there is a fair discrepancy between at-the-wheel kW for Sportivo's, as much as 10kW variance.

Therefore, if the on-paper difference between 1ZZ's amounts to 4 or 5kW at the wheel, is it not possible that some "93kW" engines could actually produce more power than some "100kW" engines?

I know I sound picky, but I'm enjoying learning what I learn from these forums.

I wonder if the electronic throttle has any impact on that? Do you think it helps or hinders progress?

One would assume that the electronics can think and/or move faster than a mechanical process, so in theory the electronics should be more responsive.

The other thing, I guess, is variables motor-to-motor ... for example, there is a fair discrepancy between at-the-wheel kW for Sportivo's, as much as 10kW variance.

Therefore, if the on-paper difference between 1ZZ's amounts to 4 or 5kW at the wheel, is it not possible that some "93kW" engines could actually produce more power than some "100kW" engines?

I know I sound picky, but I'm enjoying learning what I learn from these forums.

this is exactly what i was saying a few weeks ago. that not all the engines will show 100kw some may have 97 some may have 103 etc! not every engine is the same! so i guess the only way you will be able to tell is by putting it on the dyno.

about the electronic throttle there again it all depends! it has to pass through the ECU so i presume if u fiddle with the ECU eg tune it or chip it you can change alot more than with the cable trottle.

Guys also dont forget that off the factory toyota accepts a variance of approx 5% of documented power output .... This is both in the +ve and the -ve .....

So for all we know peter could be putting out the same power as bill .... who knows .....

As i have also seen freak engines which put out more power than their counter parts and i have also seen dud engines which struggle to keep up with everyone else ... again dont forget 5% in this case is a big enough difference to actually make things even .....

Guys also dont forget that off the factory toyota accepts a variance of approx 5% of documented power output .... This is both in the +ve and the -ve .....

So for all we know peter could be putting out the same power as bill .... who knows .....

As i have also seen freak engines which put out more power than their counter parts and i have also seen dud engines which struggle to keep up with everyone else ... again dont forget 5% in this case is a big enough difference to actually make things even .....

Absolutely ... the differences in dyno figures for stock Stivo's is a case in point ... without being 100% precise, pretty much all the figures I've seen on this forum are within +/- 5% of the average of those figures.

This is why I come back to my point that its the improvement felt by the driver, moreso than the pure power figures, that should determine the value or otherwise in your mods.

Edited by Buddha

it's good to have a freak engine...

I'm sure Azza and omn1potent will agree :D :D :D :D :D

Azza's car is the dirty socks in the air box with my old K&N panel filter :P (don't forget it's still mine Azza till you pay for it lol :lol::lol: )

it's good to have a freak engine...

I'm sure Azza and omn1potent will agree :D :D :D :D :D

Azza's car is the dirty socks in the air box with my old K&N panel filter :P (don't forget it's still mine Azza till you pay for it lol :lol::lol: )

Pay for what??? :P I'll swap you for a TRD CAI :P