Cold air short ram

GAZOOM

AEMSRI.jpg

Hi Guys,

Some of you have hear about my situations with purchaseing AEM CAI off ebay. Anyway I have come to an ageement with the supplier and I am going to keep the AEM SRI and they are going to settle with a cash difference.

I installed the thing yesterday and have to say I'm pretty impressed. Though I havn't driven a car with a CAI in it. So I don't have much to compare too. It sounds awsome.

Anyway I had this thought of how do I get cold air into the SRI??? :blink:

Then I looked at the US Matrix owner forum and found this option. Which I do like.

http://matrixowners.com/forums/Short-Ram-V...Air-t58544.html

But my idea is installing air vents (llike the ones you see in the early WRX's) on the bonnet directly above the SRI pod filter. This will enable direct cold air into the pod filter though I will still get the problem of the heat from the engine but should still help to cool down the engine bay.

I know a good panel beater that will look after me but what are peoples thoughts on this CRAZY idea

Any comments and critizism are all welcome.

Cheers,

Gazoom

Edited by GAZOOM

Installing a SRI with a vent to improve the airflow isnt really that much of a stoopid thing to do.

So long as you seal the inside of the bonnet where the SRI-pod (that now sounds like a new fandangle MP3 Player doesn't it) is....

You just dont want to have nice fresh unadulterated air rushing through the vent, and whirling around your engine bay doing nothing...

Create an enclosure inside your engine bay, so when you close your bonnet, it seals the SRI in so all the fresh air coming into the vent is available for the SRI....

Personally, I think a bug catcher vent like the WRX isn't too bad, as long as it is actually useful, not just for looks like the Lancer/Mirage & Charade drivers usually do....

Let us know how it goes, and keep the pics coming....and good onya for giving it ago. :toast:

Just so you know gazoom, micky_tee and I came up with an idea for a closed off airbox with an air vent above it. ie: airbox completely sealed off except for the air feed coming from under the foggie and air vent.

We abandoned it thought as we just like driving too much and couldn't be stuffed mucking around lmao

Gazoom this idea will work!! what you need to do is make a box to seal the filter inside. then have a cold air feed to it whether via a bonnet scoop or pipe from the front of the car somewhere. I f you can get enough air into the box it will pressurise it and you will make a noticable gain in performance as it will then be forcing air in due to the pressure created in a sealed box.

Give it a go mate. Sit down and nut out a design then get some prices from custom manufacturers to make it for you.

you can make the box out of heat shielding foam available from clark's rubber.

Make the template out of cardboard, run a large feed into the box from just inside the guard cavity near the foglight. Dont make the pipe feeding the box too long, you will lose throttle response.

You can also make a ram scoop that goes behind the bumper near the aircon dryer/receiver that feeds cold air into the foglight cavity when the car is moving at speed. We did this on MAP81's car.

Once you have the cardboard template for the box, transfer it to the clark rubber foil coated foam, cut to shape, fold and join any edges requiring joining with zipties. I've used sikaflex or zipties on a couple of boxes now, both work just aswell as each other, zipties is easier.

Some good stuff to use for the ducting is aluminium venting available in a range of diameters from bunnings, it's $30 for a large length of it, and the corrogations are a lot finer than the inlet ducting available from autobarn/performance shops etc.

you can make the box out of heat shielding foam available from clark's rubber.

Make the template out of cardboard, run a large feed into the box from just inside the guard cavity near the foglight. Dont make the pipe feeding the box too long, you will lose throttle response.

You can also make a ram scoop that goes behind the bumper near the aircon dryer/receiver that feeds cold air into the foglight cavity when the car is moving at speed. We did this on MAP81's car.

Once you have the cardboard template for the box, transfer it to the clark rubber foil coated foam, cut to shape, fold and join any edges requiring joining with zipties. I've used sikaflex or zipties on a couple of boxes now, both work just aswell as each other, zipties is easier.

Some good stuff to use for the ducting is aluminium venting available in a range of diameters from bunnings, it's $30 for a large length of it, and the corrogations are a lot finer than the inlet ducting available from autobarn/performance shops etc.

You have to make sure everything is HPC coated though Jason. Come on man.

I wouldn't go making holes in the bonnet, unless you have a raised scoop (or sunken vent) that will draw the airflow downwards, a bonnet vent will only allow hot air to escape but not cool air to enter.

Boxing off the filter and placing some ducting to draw in some outside air is a better alternative.

Interesting that no-one has decided to go the venturi effect, ie: having a reversed scoop. That actually sucks cold air in more. One good example is the A9X Torana. That thing had a massive reversed scoop covering an sealed enclosure where the carburettor was. It was always guranteed to get cold air that thing.

Note some windtunnel tests. An air dam is created on the bottom of the windscreen and is sucked back down.

Remembering that the pod is behind the battery on the passenger side for this SRI, a centre mounted hood scoop wont do jack, only a side mounted scoop will be effective but that will look shiete.

Creating an appropriate box and installing the appropriate cold air duct for the box is far better, Also Gazoom doesn't have fog lights as far as I can see - so no reason why he cant drill/cut holes into the black blank (Or remove it and replace with mesh) and have a pipe opening behind it and feeding up to the boxed sri. The pipe will be quite short and reasonably straight with just a kink to go underneath the headlight - so airflow will be good.

Remembering that the pod is behind the battery on the passenger side for this SRI, a centre mounted hood scoop wont do jack, only a side mounted scoop will be effective but that will look shiete.

Creating an appropriate box and installing the appropriate cold air duct for the box is far better, Also Gazoom doesn't have fog lights as far as I can see - so no reason why he cant drill/cut holes into the black blank (Or remove it and replace with mesh) and have a pipe opening behind it and feeding up to the boxed sri. The pipe will be quite short and reasonably straight with just a kink to go underneath the headlight - so airflow will be good.

Yeah I know the A9X was just used as an example.

If one was to really take this by the balls, the scoop would have to be moulded a certain way, ie: if it were side-mounted (which it has to be) the right hand side of the scoop would probably have to be longer to help catch the directed air and stop it from bouncing off to the side of the car. Perhaps a grooved slot instead of a raised scoop would be better. There are ways of making a side mounted scoop look good too trust me ;) Some of them look tacky due to poor installs etc :(

EDIT: Just realised where this is going. It'd cost $$$ to actually do this haha :lol:

Edited by bADbOYz

so lets say Gazoom does chop shop the crap out of his bonnet...its a perfect job. Of what use is mutilating your car when for at least 3 months of the year any sort of CAI is pretty much useless?

as others have said, it would be far wiser to simply box up your POD and have a cold air feed going to either the fog light (a little far) or behind the headlight/grill (closer). Keep in mind the basic rule however that the further the cold air has to travel directly to your throttle body, the lesser throttle response you will have.