0-400m Test **Video**

leasaunce

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL @ Omega getting drilled. And yep, the Omega is part of the VE lineup (billion dollar blah blah), it's basically the pov pack commo. Those new aurions sure look nice...saw one for the first time on the road few days ago...i'd have one if i was a bit older and had some spare money lying around.

:clap: The 1/4 mile time really helped the Aurion to win Wheels COTY award ahead of the VE Commodore, didn't it?

Speed counts for not a great deal in the big scheme of things, and while I'm not discounting how truly awesome the Aurion's engine and 6sp slusher are (because for a car starting in the mid-$30's in the case of the AT-X, they are unbelievable), the Aurion struggles as soon as the road goes around a bend. And while I'm yet to lose control in an Aurion, COTY judges managed to with scary results.

For information, the ZR6 did the 1/4 dash in 15.3sec (0-100kph in 7.4), 0.5sec ahead of the Commodore SV6, 0.2 ahead of the XR6 N/A, and 0.6sec ahead of the 380 VRX (Wheels January 2007).

I tried the site and the video wont display. Is there another site i can take a look?

Ive tried going back into to show a friend and the link has gone. it was a little speedo needle that you clicked on. Ive tried looking else where but no luck. :( It's a pity you didn't get to see it, its a bit of an eye opener, and a bit of a laugh if you dont like holden :lol:

The 1/4 mile time really helped the Aurion to win Wheels COTY award ahead of the VE Commodore, didn't it?

Nah a significant portion of the 1 Billion spent on the VE going to Wheels helped Holden for it.... only explanation, their car certainly doesnt show 1 Billions worth... esp when you consider that is like double what Toyota spent on developing the Camry and Aurion, with better parts, not sh*t from Korea - how many recalls has it been now?!? On a serious note, the COTY was the SS... none of the Aurions are in competition with that car, as at last look, they are not 6L V8's. Atm without the TRD Aurion, the highest Holden the Aurion is in competition with is the SV6... and as many a review has stated, their is daylight between these cars - with the Aurion being the better car.

the Aurion struggles as soon as the road goes around a bend. And while I'm yet to lose control in an Aurion, COTY judges managed to with scary results

Can you back up your claims that COTY judges had issues with the Aurions cornering? Ive test driven the Aurion, have an older V6 Camry Myself, and have on countless occasions driven friends Commodores. The Aurion can hit speeds around corners that I thought were never possible, and make you feel totally in control - I remember hearing that its a rumour the Aurion can hit sharp corners at in excess of 100km/h, thnx to its safety systems. Furthermore, many reviews back this up... the cars systems such as traction control and stability control make it a very safe car when cornering. In fact, most reviews have stated that it is when compared to the competition, second in line handling wise behind the VE Commodore... but they do point out that this may only be due to tyre differences, the Sportivo for instance only having 215's while the Commodore SV6 has 235's. So me thinks you are talking out of your ar*e OR reading crappy reviews?

For information, the ZR6 did the 1/4 dash in 15.3sec (0-100kph in 7.4), 0.5sec ahead of the Commodore SV6, 0.2 ahead of the XR6 N/A, and 0.6sec ahead of the 380 VRX (Wheels January 2007).

The SV6 speed seems alittle quicker then it should be, everything I have read says the VE Commodore is a good 1second behind the Aurion (And correct me if Im wrong, but the SV6 has the identical engine to the base model... and same power output? So there is no reason for that figure to be any different). Maybe its just the whole wheels and Holden thing happening again... getting prity obvious now, everyone I talk to mentions it, even people who dont care much for cars.

Edited by aussie_camry

• 2 weeks later...

Pfft, this whole "bias magazine" crap is retarded. There is nothing to be gained from it. I mean, Wheels openly point out faults in the Commodore. My brother has a VZ and it's also got the two biggest faults in the VE; a 6 cylinder behind the eight-ball (especially when compared to Aurion's 6) and a sh*t 4sp automatic box. For fu*k's sake, if Holden was paying Wheels huge sums of money, would the Captiva have been shunned like it was? Doesn't make much sense, does it? And if I recall correctly (and I do), the WL Statesman/Caprice twins also got knocked over inthe first round of COTY testing. Surely, bribery would see the WL make it to the second round. I drive a gen4 Camry, so hopefully I'm not coming across as bias.

Recalls aren't to be tolerated, I fully agree, but if you look at the Government's website, you'll see many other cars up there. New cars often have teething problems, and hopefully they'll be ironed out. The VE is still a good car and if you sit in a VZ and a VE back-to-back, you can see where the money's gone. Driving them back-to-back reveals even more.

To clarify, the SV6 is a higher output motor; 195kw Vs. 180kw in the base cars. The gain is due to variable valve timing on the exhaust side of the motor, not just the intake side. The SV6 also runs on 245's (as opposed to 235's).

And can I back up my claims the COTY judges had issues with the Aurion's handling? Hopefully; I can quote from the magazine directly if you like.

"Some judges found that the non-switchable system system... destabilised the Aurion's on-the-limit behaviour over bitumen. "ESP (VDC) is scary," noted Michael Stahl. For the vast majority of owners, this is a matter of little consequence. Much more serious is the Aurion's inability to arrest slides on slippery surfaces. At least one judge, exploring the ability of the system on Lang Lang's dirt, left the road and slapped one of the facility's white plastic posts with the left-hand passenger door."

So, when you say the Aurion is a safe car when cornering, I'd say that's because it's fairly neutral and prone more to understeer (great for the school run or people who drive from A to B ). Safe, yeah, but exciting? Probably not, especially when you take into account the fact VDC is always on and can never be turned off (at least to most people).

In the review where I quoted the performance figures (I did say it was a direct quote; I didn't make them up), the Aurion was inferior to the Falcon in terms of handling as well. Maybe I am reading crappy reviews (I am a subscriber to Wheels), but I know the reviews I read aren't out of Toyota's own magazine. Perhaps you sell Toyotas? Can I quote directly from drive.com.au to try and strengthen the apparent talking from my ar*e when I mentioned handling?

"Where the Aurion (AT-X) is less convincing is in the driving dynamics. Its front-wheel-drive layout struggles to maintain balance and the ride quality is not up to the standard of its rivals." (Bruce Newton, The Age, 27 Jan 2007)

The SX6 is an unconvincing sports sedan because it does not handle or ride all that well. The 380 VRX is a better example of how front-wheel-drive dynamics can be sorted. (Bruce Newton, The Sydney Morning Herald, 13 February 2007)

I'll say it again; the Aurion is a great car, and if a family car is needed and there is no need or interest in driving for the shear fun of it, it should be the winner hands-down if only due to its drivetrain, let alone the fact it is better on emissions and some safety equipment. Another review from drive.com.au backs that up (the Aurion SX6 won said review); http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...=21521&vf=1

Unfortunately I enjoy driving far too much to make that sacrifice, though.

This went off-topic, but I actually liked reading something interesting as opposed to the crap normally on here.

Edited by Nunga_08

Pfft, this whole "bias magazine" crap is retarded. There is nothing to be gained from it. I mean, Wheels openly point out faults in the Commodore.

Lol yeah.... but they also have 50 page liftouts and dedicate the magazine to Holden. There is no denying that wheels isnt biased... for whatever reasons.

And can I back up my claims the COTY judges had issues with the Aurion's handling? Hopefully; I can quote from the magazine directly if you like.............. the Aurion was inferior to the Falcon in terms of handling as well

I dont buy into the Aurion handling extremely poorly, and even if it somehow does, there would be reasons like its thinner tyres etc... regardless from the drive review:

"The Commodore feels more secure in corners than the Aurion but the Toyota is by no means an embarrassment in this regard. In the typical Toyota way, the Aurion's electronic stability control cuts in early, well before the car is about to get out of shape. The difference in grip may be due to the fact that the Aurion has the skinniest tyres among this trio. The Aurion SX6 is equipped with Michelin Energy Saver tyres, said to last longer and create less friction. Friction is what gives you grip but this trade-off may mean that you could get significantly longer wear out of the Aurion's tyres than you would with those on the sporty Falcon and Commodores. The Falcon XR6 runs on 235/45 tyres, the Commodore SV6 245/45 and Aurion SX6 on 215/60."

While they say about the Falcon:

"The Falcon lacks equipment, has over-sensitive steering and an uneasy ride on bumpy bends"

I'd say that's because it's fairly neutral and prone more to understeer (great for the school run or people who drive from A to B

You will find that most cars these days are designed to understeer rather then oversteer... it is alot safer.

From memory (I might be wrong) but it seems the Aurion ESP was not calibrated especially well on dirt roads. I think most of us drive on dirt roads slower and infrequently, but none the less maybe the software needs updating.

I find it possible that the Holden was set up specifically at Lang Lang where as the Aurion might have a slightly different calibration. I think if the Holden was taken to the Toyota test track other weakness may be revealed. Either way I think both cars are great but the Toyota would be my Head choice for value. I think an black Calais V with 19” would be my heart choice

From memory (I might be wrong) but it seems the Aurion ESP was not calibrated especially well on dirt roads. I think most of us drive on dirt roads slower and infrequently, but none the less maybe the software needs updating.

I find it possible that the Holden was set up specifically at Lang Lang where as the Aurion might have a slightly different calibration. I think if the Holden was taken to the Toyota test track other weakness may be revealed. Either way I think both cars are great but the Toyota would be my Head choice for value. I think an black Calais V with 19” would be my heart choice

Most 4WD owners don't event go on dirt so why would an Aurion go off road. GET an EVO if you want to go offroad. It's a street car. I won't be surprised if the judges have a FREE Holden parked in their driveway. $1 billion dollars spent..not difficult to give each judge a car to get good reviews. If the BMW had won COTY I would have at least accepted that (looks bloomin awesome - a guy I know got it as a present from his dad - lucky bugger).

Anyone has the video?

Edited by rvk11

• 1 month later...

Hi, for anyone who is still interested, the video is actually still on that site. Just follow the link, click on "Features" on the left hand side. White dots will appear all over the car, click on the the dot called "Acceleration" on the hood of the car. And there's the video! Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, for anyone who is still interested, the video is actually still on that site. Just follow the link, click on "Features" on the left hand side. White dots will appear all over the car, click on the the dot called "Acceleration" on the hood of the car. And there's the video! Hope this helps

Legend, Thanks for the update!!! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...