Whick synthetic oil for new 2006 Corolla ?

ADH

Just bought new 2006 Ascent and wondering which sythetic oil should be used after running it in?

Choice is between 30 weight oils (eg. Mobil 1 10W-30 and Castrol Edge 5W-30) or heavier 40 weight oils (eg. Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol Edge 0W-40).

I have started to lean towards the 30 weight oils because they are recommended by Toyota and are considerably cheaper but will they protect as well in the heat of summer?

What oils are Corolla owners using ?

hey mate welcome to the forum .....

ok before someone else decided to not answer ur question and ask you to search before making a new post ill just point out a few things for you.

Firstly there is a topic pinned to the top of the corolla section called PREVIOUSLY COVERED TOPICS. (here is the direct link http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5503)

in it is a section which shows the following (see list of existing oils thread below my post) & as you can see the whole oil thing has been covered quiet a few times so please take a read through the existing threads.

Secondly in the top right hand corner under the little logo is a search link ..... alternatively it can also be used to find information as you can imagine as the forum has been active for a few years now a lot of these topics have already been covered.

So mate welcome 2 the forum & enjoy ur stay @ ATOC & for the record i have been using fuchs GTO for a while which is 10W-30 but have recently switched to royal purple which i think was either 10W-30 or 10W-40.

cheers

Bill

Oils - Motor & Gearbox

-Synthetic Oil

-Oils aint oils

-Oil Change please help

-Changing Gearbox Oil

-Best Oil

-Gearbox Oil

-Gearbox oil and Gear shifting problems

-Oil for 2ZZ-GE engine

-engine oil

-Manual gearbox oil

-Oil usage

-Another oil question

-Oil Question

-Engine Oil

-Tranny oil for Toyota 6 speed

yep, the same oils are recommended for both the 1ZZ-FE and 2ZZ-GE engines.

Interesting to note that considering the VVTI & VVTI-L are quite different.

Another question I have is how do I find out if the engine has "run in"? I'm picking up an 2006 ex-demo Corolla Levin which has 14000Ks on the clock, so can I assume it has already run in? Never owned a "new" car before so not sure what driving style I should adopt. Reason I asked this is that I found out that you should be using "run in" oil while is the engine is running in. So how do I know when to start using the proper synthetic engine oil?

EDIT: Found out that run-in period is the first 1000k's. So question is when do we chnage over to use synthetic oil if that has not already been done?

Edited by zombie

• 2 weeks later...