GOT MY VAREX =]

ApBPaul

got my varex today and happy, he sed he could wire it up to the tail lights, but in the end just put it thru to the cig lighter, because he sed the wiring was too complicated. which left a annoying wire from the back seat the the cig lighter but i guess its okay, stio quite expensive for rear mufflers but hey

look at the results for youself =]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got my varex today and happy, he sed he could wire it up to the tail lights, but in the end just put it thru to the cig lighter, because he sed the wiring was too complicated. which left a annoying wire from the back seat the the cig lighter but i guess its okay, stio quite expensive for rear mufflers but hey

look at the results for youself =]

Very nice. What size tip is that? It seems to be a little too big for the cutout in the bumper. You should post some photos as well. I still really want a pair of Varex as well, but I would only be satisfied with the oval shape mufflers. I guess I will have to take the plunge and buy a pair and MAKE it fit.

And to make it easier for others:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

its a 2.5" inlet, yeh looks massive aye, will post pics up sooon

I noticed its a double wall tip. Is it a oval barrel or round barrell. Can you post the specs of the exhaust on which one it is. I noticed that some of the other boys with varex have the single wall tip, and the tip opening looks massive. Your double wall makes it look a bit better IMO, not too overboard. Can you post some photos of the rear of the car so we can see how it looks from the back overall.

Does it drone up hills or around 2k, hows the sound from inside the car.

Cheers

Bondie.

Edited by BONDIE

When the exhaust is fully shut, it looks like there's only little air will escape. Won't that suffocate the engine?

theres a chamber on the side that lets air out

look on the xforce site if u wna know exactly how it works :)

When the exhaust is fully shut, it looks like there's only little air will escape. Won't that suffocate the engine?

theres a chamber on the side that lets air out

look on the xforce site if u wna know exactly how it works :)

I'm quite concerned about how small that port is exactly. It looks pretty small in the photos (about 1 inch). That doesn't seem too healthy.

Also, a question for you ApBPaul; when you have your the valve closed and rev the engine, do you hear a sound like air rushing (kind of like an exhaust leak). I'm concerned that if I got a Varex setup, it would sound like the exhaust is leaking when closed.

Also, I did some measuring earlier, I would reckon that the 6x9 inch oval Varex would fit and the outlet would line up perfectly on the Aurion if placed right. Hmmm, the temptation.

Doooooooooooo it! Cmon Dude. It will cost 800 bucks max. Thats only a few nights out on the turps.

I went and had a look under mine and i reckon it will fit too. I cant remember why I shyed away from it originally, there was some reason it wouldnt fit. But i just did a quick measure then, and it all looks good for the fitting...... mmmmm (lucky i dont build houses for a living)

If it fits on yours, i will get my done for sure. I dont like the big round barrels as they hang down too much and look like rice cannons. But the oval barrel would tuck up nice i reckon, so you could only see the tip. Plus it would look quite standard, but at the same time have a hidden roar about it, with one push of a button.

Doooooooooo it Daryl. "IF YOU DO - THEY WILL FOLLOW" lol

No "Peer Presure", just a little nudge.

Edited by BONDIE

Doooooooooooo it! Cmon Dude. It will cost 800 bucks max. Thats only a few nights out on the turps.

I went and had a look under mine and i reckon it will fit too. I cant remember why I shyed away from it originally, there was some reason it wouldnt fit. But i just did a quick measure then, and it all looks good for the fitting...... mmmmm (lucky i dont build houses for a living)

If it fits on yours, i will get my done for sure. I dont like the big round barrels as they hang down too much and look like rice cannons. But the oval barrel would tuck up nice i reckon, so you could only see the tip. Plus it would look quite standard, but at the same time have a hidden roar about it, with one push of a button.

Doooooooooo it Daryl. "IF YOU DO - THEY WILL FOLLOW" lol

No "Peer Presure", just a little nudge.

$800 is basically a whole cat-back system with good quality mufflers...

$800 is basically a whole cat-back system with good quality mufflers...

I'm a pretty stubborn individual. Once I have my eyes set on something, I will usually try to push forward with it. Me thinks I will find someone who can supply the Varex for a good price then I'll just jump in and buy it. I will then get work done around that I reckon. I have been payed out all my accumulated holiday pay from my last employer and am ready to spend.

I'm on this two part thinking process right now. On one hand there may be the potential for gains with a properly designed exhaust, but I will always have the same note. I don't want quiet because I like it to have some grunt, but I also don't want it permanently loud because sometimes noise is not good. But I also don't want it to be average because I like to grab attention. If there is the potential to work around the Varex and have gains as well, then I will be more than happy.

i was about to grab one until one of my friends says its illegal and can be defected in QLD, is there a way around this, i heard puting a silencer on whilst its open and others is where you close it and remove the power to the exhaust.

Hey there...

yes the Varex mufflers can be classified as illegal. The rule states (in VIC) that you cannot have sound adjusting exhaust valves... which is pretty out dated because pretty much every V8 commodore, R32, BA falcon, and many others have valves in the muffler which would make them illegal with the ruling.

so contact your local RTA.. and have a chat with them.. i know Jaderd from here has had some lengthy conversations with them, maybe shoot him a PM.

• 1 month later...
28vdqvn.jpg

The exhaust looks great, tips fill up the cutouts nicely I think.

It's funny how people keep talking about how illegal these are but have they thought about how illegal most straight through systems are as most (not all) are above the legal decibel limit.

The varex is usually no louder when open than most after market open exhaust but at least when the cops are around it can be as quiet as stock.

As for back pressure when closed the inlet and outlet hole feeding from the reverse flow chamber on a 2 1/2" is nearly 2 1/2" but because its on the side it looks really small.

People who bag these varex mufflers should have a look before they talk about something they actually know nothing about.

SW

As for back pressure when closed the inlet and outlet hole feeding from the reverse flow chamber on a 2 1/2" is nearly 2 1/2" but because its on the side it looks really small.

People who bag these varex mufflers should have a look before they talk about something they actually know nothing about.

From this quote, I think YOU should have a look at a cannon Varex before you try and talk about it's specifications. I have seen one in person and I can correctly state that the bypass outlet is approximately 1 inch.

From this quote, I think YOU should have a look at a cannon Varex before you try and talk about it's specifications. I have seen one in person and I can correctly state that the bypass outlet is approximately 1 inch.

depends on the Varex Muffler... the Oval, Twin Tip Mufflers its about 2"

Hi All, question from the noob time:

If i get the Varex installed, can i drive around with the inlte closed most of the time?

I am of the understanding that the aurion currenlty has 2 1/4 inch pipes and the xforce setup is 2 1/2 inch, wouldn't that be too loud?

If its about 8-900 hundred for an exhaust set up like this, how much extra would the varex be?

sorry if i've got the lingo wrong..... thanks for answering my questions?

Hi All, question from the noob time:

If i get the Varex installed, can i drive around with the inlte closed most of the time?

I am of the understanding that the aurion currenlty has 2 1/4 inch pipes and the xforce setup is 2 1/2 inch, wouldn't that be too loud?

If its about 8-900 hundred for an exhaust set up like this, how much extra would the varex be?

sorry if i've got the lingo wrong..... thanks for answering my questions?

yeh of course you can drive around with it closed

i wouldnt say its too loud, it gives a nice grunt when you put ur foot down and is pretty much stock quite wen ur foot is off - even wen its open

you can buy each muffler for about 400 ea and install it urself to save money or

to do it at a shop would cost you around ~$1000

yeh of course you can drive around with it closed

i wouldnt say its too loud, it gives a nice grunt when you put ur foot down and is pretty much stock quite wen ur foot is off - even wen its open

you can buy each muffler for about 400 ea and install it urself to save money or

to do it at a shop would cost you around ~$1000

Thanks for the quick reply! when i rang the ONLY advertised stockist in WA he was quick to tell nme about the size difference (mentioned before) and then said some stuff about fabricating new parts straight from the flange and then using universal mufflers? He also said it was bad for the car to driva around with the inletts on the Varex closed all the time.. I have never been under my car so doing this is myself is out of the question... although with this forums help i was able to install the auspack unit... maybe i will give it a go!