Cease Production of Corolla Sportivo

All Corolla Sportivo models (South Africa TSAM-sourced) will cease production from 31 October

2005. There will be no immediate replacement for Corolla Sportivo in the foreseeable future. Please note that all Japan TMC-sourced Corollas will continue to be available.

The worldwide sales is too slow for the cars. I knew that Celica and Mr2 is gone, but now Corolla Sportivo, this will makes Toyota Australia with no Sport Car. One and only top 10 Car manufactures in Australia with no Sport Car. Do not Tell me that Camry Sportivo is a Sport Car.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Corolla Sportivo models (South Africa TSAM-sourced) will cease production from 31 October

2005.  There will be no immediate replacement for Corolla Sportivo in the foreseeable future.  Please note that all Japan TMC-sourced Corollas will continue to be available.

The worldwide sales is too slow for the cars.  I knew that Celica and Mr2 is gone, but now Corolla Sportivo, this will makes Toyota Australia with no Sport Car.  One and only top 10 Car manufactures in Australia with no Sport Car.  Do not Tell me that Camry Sportivo is a Sport Car.

i'd say this is toyota way of saying without saying "it has way to many problems and we cant be ****** fixing them" still a shame to see them go, mabey they will hold there value better now

i think Toyota Australia want to compete with Holden and Ford in the large sport sedan market...

and decided to scrap all the offical sports cars from their line :huh:

IMO, probably not a good idea :blink:

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_pa...5E21822,00.html

in this article they plan on releasing a sports Avalon with a Supercharged V6 out of the concept Camry TS01.

its getting released late next year apparently...

The worldwide sales is too slow for the cars.

Wonder where they got this stat from cause most dealers couldn't get enough of them...

Thats what i heard from toyota sales guy yesterday. Sprotivos are going to be stop producing on 31st of October. You will still be able to get few left overs after that. Ah well hopefully new one will come out next year :D.

Russ

maybe there not making it in south africa but are going to make it somwhere else.

or maybe they will make the new echo with the stivo motor.

corolla is one of the biggest selling cars to date in fact its the most popular small car. and can keep up sales with the commodores and so on. so why stop making the stivo. doesnt seem right.

anyway hope it becomes more popular after they stop making them and the resale will be so much higher. (not that id sell mine)

toyota is getting rid of the little cars to work on the bigger engines. they will soon release a new camry - it has the go ahead based loosely on the new model and the concept

super charger body kit and bigger nicer rims they are trying to get the tissue box and doylies canceled from the extras list.

there is a pic in one of the new motor magazines

I dont want to start a war but our corolla sportivo is no way a sports car....it doesent match any of the definitions of a true sports car. Without a CELICA or MRS the sports range is gone. The corolla is just a fast runabout in my opinion but doesent handle and is not classified as a sports car.

I dont want to start a war but our corolla sportivo is no way a sports car....it doesent match any of the definitions of a true sports car. Without a CELICA or MRS the sports range is gone. The corolla is just a fast runabout in my opinion but doesent handle and is not classified as a sports car.

um... thats abit harsh mate.lol

i personally wouldnt call the celica a sports car either.the MRS is but not the celica,sports car looks but not a sports car.

but i would call the stivo a sports hatch. have you ever seen a sports car thats a hatchback.(WRX NOT INCLUDED)

Give the stivo some attention in the suspension dept and a little more torque i think you'd sell more of em easily. Celica is a car for some one having a mid life crisis who wants the look of a sports car without it necessarily being so. Any so called sports car you can buy in an auto ain't a sports car in my books.

Wonder where they got this stat from cause most dealers couldn't get enough of them...

I do not know.. I am working in for Toyota and that is what the "top guys" at Toyota told us.. From my point of view, they simply doesn't interest in sport cars at all, they keep told us that Sport cars has very short product life cycle, they sell very well in first couple of years only. I seriously do not know..

What determines the "Sportiness" of a car is the heart -> the engine/chassis. The Celica and Corolla Sportivo feels sporty and can be considered "Sports" because it has a "heart" that revs to 8200rpm and produces more than 100bhp per liter displacemet, matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. Suspension is a let down i must say but at least it can be improved (not like the DC5 TypeR and TypeS, you spend money on suspension to get worse handling). The MR-S has a nice chassis being mid-engined rwd but the engine is a let down for such a highly capable chassis and selling it at that price you expect more.

If you say looks determine whether a car is a "Sports" car or not, then you are a hairdresser and should go buy a hairdresser's car (no offense). ;)

Z

I do not know.. I am working in for Toyota and that is what the "top guys" at Toyota told us.. From my point of view, they simply doesn't interest in sport cars at all, they keep told us that Sport cars has very short product life cycle, they sell very well in first couple of years only. I seriously do not know..

They obviously haven't seen Mazda's business model...

MX5 - biggest selling sports car of all time!!! and how old is that???

They obviously haven't seen Mazda's business model...

MX5 - biggest selling sports car of all time!!! and how old is that???

and it never really needed a beefy powerplant.

...matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. ...

Z

i think the words "matching" and "close-ratio" is stretching the imagination a little bit.

What determines the "Sportiness" of a car is the heart -> the engine/chassis. The Celica and Corolla Sportivo feels sporty and can be considered "Sports" because it has a "heart" that revs to 8200rpm and produces more than 100bhp per liter displacemet, matching to a 6 speed close ratio gearbox. Suspension is a let down i must say but at least it can be improved (not like the DC5 TypeR and TypeS, you spend money on suspension to get worse handling). The MR-S has a nice chassis being mid-engined rwd but the engine is a let down for such a highly capable chassis and selling it at that price you expect more.

If you say looks determine whether a car is a "Sports" car or not, then you are a hairdresser and should go buy a hairdresser's car (no offense). ;)

Z

Hey Z i wish you were right ....I wish i was a hairdresser where i get my haircut anyway, i would be on a constant hard on man......soo many hotties.Anyway back to the car....you cant really call the corolla a true sports car in stock trim.and thats what i was referring to, i dont like comparing "modified" etc because not everyone modifies their car, thats something you guys just dont want to understand or it doesent sink in, NOT Everybody buys a car to modify it to handle better more power etc....because of money etc. Thats what im about, in stock form the corolla has a great sporty engine but its not a sports car in both looks and handling...engine ...well yeah but thats it. The celica, was pretty much a Corona with two doors in Australia....and later on a two door sports car with a Camry engine...with the exception of the GT4 which was a Fat 4wd. The only true sports car made for the aussie market was the Supra and the MR2...which did not sell and did not live for long...it sucks but thats reality and how many of us here would fork out 40+ grand for an MRS or a Celica for that matter..... or 60 odd for a supra(new back in the late 80's)there are many "better" options for that price..........then comes the corolla with a sporty engine and reasonable price....but the Fudges at toyota give it the stance of a 4wd and the handling of a shopping trolley and stuff things up, ends up costing us anouther couple of grand to make the dam thing the way we want it.....and the thing that pisses me off the most is that it the sportivo range you do not have any options to upgrade to more performance, its all enhancing crap like tint and towbar. If toyota were serious they would have wheels options and also chip and a friggin rear skirt(I was told the new models dont have it)....but they dont give a stuff...Ahhh im arguing with myself...sorry guys but it makes no sense to me...toyota get in F1 then cut their sports range out....why?

I prefer my car to be thought of as a ‘sleeper’. But, when you blow away a commodore or a falcon or what ever car it is, the driver is most likely thinking they got whipped by a sports car.

How can you guys say that the Corolla is a sports car because of the drivetrain, yet the Celica is a sports car by appearance only, when they share the same drivetrain?  :blink:

In my view, the Sportivo is a "hot hatch", the Celica is a "sporty coupe", the MR2 is a "sports car" and the Supra is a "grand tourer", I'm just basing that on how various comparable cars have categorised themselves in my little mental encycopaedia!

Either way, Toyota seems to be losing its performance focus ... personally, if these proposed hi-po big cars are going to stay FWD, then they're going to fall flat.

I just think FWD runs out of puff when used in large, heavy, high powered vehicles. Toyota needs to put AWD under them, ala the X-Runner utility, or if they really want to target the SS/XR market, such buyers will only want RWD.