are stivos that unreliable?

T.J

the renault clio fanactical parts guy at my work constantly bags out my car and well it annoys me but today he's shown me a post on his renault forum about a guy who had a sportivo apparently it had undergone 3 engine replacements and hadnt even cracked 18000kms by that stage

anyway he was driving along giving it a bootfull one day and then suddenly it cut out and then caught fire and subsequently burnt up

they arent that bad really are they?

only problems ive had are small stuff like a farting tx valve really lol!

the renault clio fanactical parts guy at my work constantly bags out my car and well it annoys me but today he's shown me a post on his renault forum about a guy who had a sportivo apparently it had undergone 3 engine replacements and hadnt even cracked 18000kms by that stage

anyway he was driving along giving it a bootfull one day and then suddenly it cut out and then caught fire and subsequently burnt up

Haha thats a canberra car "NATAS" was owned by some one, then another guy whose name is bryan. The pictures are on the forums here somewhere. The 3 engine changes were by the previous owner. I always thought it sounded dodgy but bryan insists that its not. I think it might be a one off cos i haven't heard of any others. I wouldn't worry too much.

I have had my Sportivo since 2003 and been on the forum since then.

I can assure you no one in that time has reported engine failure except one which does not really count as normal.

They are very reliable for a car that revs so high (and most people here including myself regularly go to 8000+ rpms on a regular basis).

I think I would rather back toyota over renault in the reliability stakes.

Haha thats a canberra car "NATAS" was owned by some one, then another guy whose name is bryan. The pictures are on the forums here somewhere. The 3 engine changes were by the previous owner. I always thought it sounded dodgy but bryan insists that its not. I think it might be a one off cos i haven't heard of any others. I wouldn't worry too much.

He also refuses to answer any inquiries into what mods have been made to the car, in particular, possible dodgy wiring from a stereo install causing the fire.

I'm with Micky in that the history of this particular car always seemed dodgy.

who knows what that guy had done, he lend it to a friend didnt he, might of not even been serviced for a while, who knows, besides that one i havent heard any other stories(revving a stock 2zz to 9000rpm dont count)

if u have a look at carsales theres many celicas have already done more than 150000kms

hhehee. the guy sounds more like a clumpsy nood. One of my friends who drove a ST162 celica when I also owned mine set his car on fire after he replaced the fuel filter but did a dodgy job. The fuel that either leaked out either from dodgy work or from when the filter was out caught fire and...well...bye bye ST162 SX. what a waste of a 3SGE.

One engine failure is dodgy, three engine failures on three seperate engines when everyone on this board is still running their original motor is quite suspect. I think it's a case of PEBSWAS (Problem exists between steering wheel and seat) :yahoo::yahoo::rolleyes:

plus i think you'd find that ppl tend to exaggerate stories of mechanical failure. The only way to make yourself feel better after your engine blows is to make it sound spectacular. LOL

Edited by qkslvr

the renault clio fanactical parts guy at my work constantly bags out my car

My brother owns a Clio so I know when I say this it is true.

Sportivo>172 Cup, in terms of reliability. But the Renaultsport Clio's do handle better :P

But at the end of the day a couple of bad 'one offs' can't represent the whole production run.

Edited by SuperDave

My stivo has had 80,000 ks of handbrake corners and hard driving. its rare that i change 1>2 under 7k rpm. and i often do silly crap like burnouts and 7k launches. and im still on my original clutch (still no slip) and original rotors.

I cant believe how reliable its been. touch wood. Compared with my old xr6 that lived at my mechanic until i had enough and sold it.

as much as i do bag the toyota quality to the extremity that ive pretty much replaced a lot of the major mechanical components when it was stock other than noises which were from the interior etc there werent any issues with the car ...... toyota do make a solid car but i am noticing their quality is starting to slide a bit

wtf.... 3 motorsss what the hell is this guy doing with themm loll really toyotas are very reliable and every body knows that...

Exactly...

And TJ a guy who is into FRENCH cars has absolutely no argument about reliability... hasn't got a frog to stand on, if you will.

i have no doubt that 2zz's are tough as mines copped a hard thrashing but ive looked after it making sure its always warmed up and oils changed religiously as you would if you wanted your engine to last.

just cant belive he is baggin it cause hes seen one on fire and we've only replaced 2 clio sport engines the whole time we've been servicing them i know a few 2zz's went south mainly driver error though

and this dude sounds sketchy i mean 3 engines? my only explaination as to how the fire happened to start with was the fuel fitting that connects the hose onto the supply pipe must have failed or been tampered with cause he rekons he lost pressure and suddenly a fire started straight after now the fuel pipe isnt too far away from at the time a realy hot exhaust manifold so yeah you get the idea.

the guy who posted it up is a bell end anyway he went and bought a clio sport to cheer himself up

sooky lil panzy somebody tell him to have a glass of cement and harden the %$&k up! lol!

maybe now he can go screw up the clio and give renault an even worse name

come on guys did anyone actually look at the thread with the pictures? That car hasn't burnt by an engine failure, have a look on pickles and fowles auction sites the burnt cars are not this bad. This car has been torched i will put money on it.

And the guy who used to own the car is Bryan he would be the guy on the senault site because he now races a clio in the production car cup. Not sure when he owned it though.

come on guys did anyone actually look at the thread with the pictures? That car hasn't burnt by an engine failure, have a look on pickles and fowles auction sites the burnt cars are not this bad. This car has been torched i will put money on it.

And the guy who used to own the car is Bryan he would be the guy on the senault site because he now races a clio in the production car cup. Not sure when he owned it though.

yeah i saw the pictures then ones he took look like the fire began in the engine bay your right about engine failure not being the cause just doesnt add up really could have been an insurance job for all i know but my fuel line somehow failing theory makes perfect sence well to me it does anyway.

i dunno bout you guys but id take my sportivo over a clio sport anyday even if they are lighter and faster and handle better allegedly plus a clio sport doesnt have 5 doors which i kinda need

The timing belt on the Clio can be done for a few hundred plus parts if you don't go to a dealer to do it. Its also a 70,000km consumable item too (dropped from the normal 100,000km).

The service manual says to lift the engine to change it :blink: (can be done with engine in place still) I bet a graduate engineer designed that one :lol: But it does suffer from 'big engine little car syndrome'.

Edited by SuperDave

Stivos...like clio sports have been tracked regularly. Good maintenance and correct driving technique, whether it be maniac or jim richards clock work styles, will always *at most times* ensure cars that are built for performance last and stand the test of time.

Stivos being unreliable is like saying VTEC's are flawed in honda forums *poke/prod* :toast:

Tracked stivos:

VIC -

THE ENTIRE BB's Garage

BangN ... :ph34r: He didn't even need an engine replacement...just VTEC <_<

MoRice

Maty

Sam

Andre ... possibly more.

...I think Omnipotent did too.. not too sure. :whistling:

Not to mention the Tracked Celica's, which share the same engine.

Reference: Celica Jim (TRACK WARRIOR :toast: )!! Ruben & Vvyets.

Not one of those 7 VVTi-L engine's have skipped a beat.

Don't get me started on 1zz-fe's LOL :whistling: