The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

For the Aurion owners. Can you hear the motor/fan noise coming from the glovebox where the aircon fan is when you turn it on low? It's not loud just very faint. I'm asking because I'm not sure if that noise was there as I noticed just now when driving before with the heater on.

Yea.. It's like a swirling noise rite..? Im bringing it back to Toyota so they can fix it together with the rattles.

I get a very light noise on mine as well. You have to be paying attention though to notice it.

Personally, I wouldn't be complaining about it to Toyota... but good luck with that anyways.

I just see it as part of normal operation. Low fan speed coupled with a digital controller, and you can get some sound produced. Not to mention, the fan is a moving part itself. Otherwise, I'd be returning my desk fan, my ceiling exhaust fan, and my computer because the fans make noise.

For the Aurion owners. Can you hear the motor/fan noise coming from the glovebox where the aircon fan is when you turn it on low? It's not loud just very faint. I'm asking because I'm not sure if that noise was there as I noticed just now when driving before with the heater on.

Yea.. It's like a swirling noise rite..? Im bringing it back to Toyota so they can fix it together with the rattles.

I get a very light noise on mine as well. You have to be paying attention though to notice it.

Personally, I wouldn't be complaining about it to Toyota... but good luck with that anyways.

I just see it as part of normal operation. Low fan speed coupled with a digital controller, and you can get some sound produced. Not to mention, the fan is a moving part itself. Otherwise, I'd be returning my desk fan, my ceiling exhaust fan, and my computer because the fans make noise.

Thanks heaps for that, yeah I guess it is normal operation. I really wouldn't be telling Toyota. Its a moving part inside the car, of course its going to make noise but I wasn't sure so I asked but it seems like its normal operation since other members get the noise.

For a better explanation, it sounds like a quiet laptop fan.

I did tell Toyota as mine's noticeable... It's like a dry leaf stuck to a fan.. It's annoying. They fixed it last year but it came again.. Zzzzz

My stupid question...when we come to Sydney for the national meet in june,is there a product i can rub/massage onto my paintwork to make the cleaning once i'm there a little easier,especially need something for the front bar & bonnet ect as these areas will cop a bug pounding on the way up. :(

Ok. Here is my stupid questions.

is my Aurion being haunted, should I take it to church or am I being stupid? :lol:

Check out the pics. See the face in the drivers window in both the pictures? :o

If it is haunted I hope it is like Casper the friendly ghost.. Come to think of it, I do have my wife's dead grandma's rosemary beeds and a blessed picture of jesus in the sunglasses storage thingy (not really my thing but the inlaws insisted on it).

I hope my car isnt the anti-christ, I was going for a sporty vip rather than the harbinger of doom look.

post-14100-1264912415_thumb.jpg

post-14100-1264912565_thumb.jpg

My stupid question: Is it worth to buy JUST exhaust tips for around $300? Is there place to have exhaust tips customized?

No way man. That's overboard. The most I would spend on just changing exhaust tips would be around $30-40 per tip and a total of $50-75 on labour... at the most. That's sticking with pre-designed tips.

When you say customised... do you mean having your own design tips? Or do you mean as in just having them cut off the old ones and weld on new ones? If the latter, any exhaust shop can do that for you. Some carry a range of tips, otherwise just go to an auto store and see what they have.

This is just the exhaust tips.. I want this one so bad..

http://www.rstyleracing.com/index.aspx?Pro...091107032159198

If they have the style I wanted, then just weld it. If not, which I assume most of em don't after an hour research through webs, I'd prolly ask them what and how i want it.

Damn! Those tips cost $230 AUD, you do realise that?

I can have a go at sourcing them from Thailand if you like, but a tip isn't worth $230.

I was also unaware they changed the grading of stainless to letters of the alphabet :lol: Must be the crappy chinese stainless rating system :lol:

If it's for real Taco and not a prank...i'd get Toyota to check it out,could be under warranty. :P

LOL. I'm not sure they will do anything. I don't think the ghost is faulty.

Damn! Those tips cost $230 AUD, you do realise that?

I can have a go at sourcing them from Thailand if you like, but a tip isn't worth $230.

I was also unaware they changed the grading of stainless to letters of the alphabet :lol: Must be the crappy chinese stainless rating system :lol:

I know.. I guess I'll have to try to source the tips from somewhere else who sell it at a more reasonable price. Thanks for the offer anw.

There's even a more expensive one, the AMG style. Lol... That's like $300. <_<

Edited by VF-X

Guys, I wanna know the price range I should be lookin at to install a set of varex mufflers on my car. Much appreciated..

EDIT: Dw, got them..ard 90-150 for each install

Edited by VF-X

Here is one, why is the Aurion engine so loud when its warming up?

I ask because our family friends have a Nissan Maxima, I test drove it, its a powerful car, very very nice to drive and smooth and the engine on this thing is dead silent! Even on a cold start its quiet and gets even better once warm, it makes driving pleasurable because of the quiet engine and also cold startups.

The Aurion sounds like a lawn mower starting up(I know I'm exaggerating, Aurion owners would know)

Which comes the question/s. What makes an engine quiet and why is the Aurion so loud on a cold start while other engines can be very quiet? Why couldn't Toyota do that out of all car makers?!

Thats because they make from stanless still Grade A and not stainless steel. I wonder if they make stuff from Fredless or Bobless still as well?

this might be a stupid question but since I have gotten a lot out of this club I thought I would join as a silver member, I did this on the 25th jan and my profile says its pending even though it shows I have paid it.????

Do the TRD Aurion acc/brake pedal pads fit other Aurions...say an ATX maybe? :)

The TRD pedals are really just Sportivo ones as that is what the TRD models are based on. The brake pedal pad should be easy to change but the accelerator pedal may only be available as a whole unit which will be expensive.

Do the TRD Aurion acc/brake pedal pads fit other Aurions...say an ATX maybe? :)

The TRD pedals are really just Sportivo ones as that is what the TRD models are based on. The brake pedal pad should be easy to change but the accelerator pedal may only be available as a whole unit which will be expensive.

Thanks mate :)

Do u mean rim sizes? On top of my head, It's because the circumference of the rims + the tyres. bigger diameter = bigger circumference. Car speedometer is set with OEM rims and tyres, that means with a definite circumference. Changin these elements will screw the timing for the thingy to complete a 360 degree spin, hence affecting the speedo reading.

my turn for a stupid question.

how does having a larger or smaller rolling diameter affect your speedo reading?

Work backwards from the speed the car is physically travelling to the speed/rpm that the dash cluster is saying.

Lets have an example (be aware there will be some rounding errors):

60km/hr = 1km/minute, = 1,000m/min = 1,000,000mm/min

So the car is travelling at 1 million millimetres per minute. Now, the wheel is rolling along the road at this speed, so to work out how many revolutions per minute the wheel is doing, you divide the speed by the circumference of the tyre (think of a piece of string wrapped around a cylinder - take one "loop" and stretch it out along the ground). If you have a 205/45/R16 wheel, one revolution is approximately equal to 1856mm. So, 205/45/R16 wheel on a car travelling at 60km/h is rotating at a frequency of approximately 539 revolutions per minute. If you multiply this by your final drive and gear ratios, you will get the RPM that the engine is running at. However, since we are talking about the speedo, the gear ratios and final drive are taken out.

So we have a car travelling at 60km/h, with the driveshaft spinning at 539rpm. This is a linear relationship, and can be summed up as X rpm/kph as a calibration constant. The speedo will measure the speed that the driveshaft is spinning (usually a sensor on the output shaft of the gearbox) and convert this with that calibration constant to the speed displayed on the speedometer. This calibration constant is set from factory to match the standard wheels and tyres fitted to the car.

Now if you go and modify the size of the wheels and tyres, the speedo does not know that the overall rolling diameter (and thus the circumference) has changed, and still uses the calibration constant set from factory. So if a wheel/tyre combo is 3% bigger in diameter than the stock size, the speedo sensor in the gearbox will read a rotation speed 3% smaller compared to stock (a bigger wheel rotates less for the same travelled distance) but assume that it is still correct and thus display a speed on the speedometer 3% smaller than what you are really travelling at. Thus, if you have wheels with a rolling diameter bigger than standard, your speedo will read "slow" (ie the car will be travelling faster than what is displayed). If the rolling diameter is smaller than standard the speedo will read "fast" (the car is travelling slower than what is displayed).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist