The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Torque wrench question: regardless of whether you get a bi directional one or not; does a torque wrench help you tighten/loosen a nut (multiply your applied force) or does it just prevent overtightening of nuts?

Firstly... do NOT use a torque wrench to loosen anything.

Secondly... most torque wrenches have a handle that is longer than a standard socket drive. It is this extra length that gives you extra leverage and therefore extra force. It doesn't help you any more than a socket drive/spanner of equal length.

Torque wrench question: regardless of whether you get a bi directional one or not; does a torque wrench help you tighten/loosen a nut (multiply your applied force) or does it just prevent overtightening of nuts?

Firstly... do NOT use a torque wrench to loosen anything.

Secondly... most torque wrenches have a handle that is longer than a standard socket drive. It is this extra length that gives you extra leverage and therefore extra force. It doesn't help you any more than a socket drive/spanner of equal length.

Second: Makes sense, leverage is king. For some reason I thought they had a multiplier or something that increased the power you apply

First: Why is this the case? I've noticed 'bi-directional' torque wrenches, which I assumed are for removing nuts while having a 'cap' on the maximum amount of Nm you can apply.

First: Why is this the case? I've noticed 'bi-directional' torque wrenches, which I assumed are for removing nuts while having a 'cap' on the maximum amount of Nm you can apply.

If you are removing it, then there would be no need to have a cap on the amount of torque you need to apply. The main reason you shouldn't in my opinion is because a torque wrench is calibrated for the varying torque levels and you should reduce any un-necessary use that can affect it's calibration.

If you are removing it, then there would be no need to have a cap on the amount of torque you need to apply. The main reason you shouldn't in my opinion is because a torque wrench is calibrated for the varying torque levels and you should reduce any un-necessary use that can affect it's calibration.

Makes sense. That's good then! I don't have to spend $200 on a bi-directional torque wrench then. $110 or so for a Kinchrome one.

I don't understand the Aurion fresh and recirculation button on the climate control system.

For example, when I have it on fresh and I turn the car off and I come back to the car later and turn it on it's on fresh again (it's remembered that setting) but sometimes if I have it on fresh and turn the car off and come back to it it's on recirc. It seems to forget your last settings from time to time. Sometimes it will remember your last setting and sometimes it will 'default' back to recirc.

What's going on here?

I don't understand the Aurion fresh and recirculation button on the climate control system.

For example, when I have it on fresh and I turn the car off and I come back to the car later and turn it on it's on fresh again (it's remembered that setting) but sometimes if I have it on fresh and turn the car off and come back to it it's on recirc. It seems to forget your last settings from time to time. Sometimes it will remember your last setting and sometimes it will 'default' back to recirc.

What's going on here?

My Aurion used to remember what setting I had my fresh air switch set to (I never have AUTO turned on). After a few months though, it stated to forget that and now it always defaults to the recirc setting. I don't think there is a valid explanation for it mate. I think it just has no logic.

I have absolutely no technical background in the air conditioning, but I find that when I have mine set at lower temps, under 20.5, then when I start the car it will automatically be on recirc, but for temps higher than 20.5 it's default start is fresh.

I've done a couple of tests whilst driving and when it's at the "Lo" setting if I go from fresh to recirc, the air seems to come out at a faster rate. Never really liked the recirc except for blocking out the smell of diesels, but now I'm not so sure

I have absolutely no technical background in the air conditioning, but I find that when I have mine set at lower temps, under 20.5, then when I start the car it will automatically be on recirc, but for temps higher than 20.5 it's default start is fresh.

I've done a couple of tests whilst driving and when it's at the "Lo" setting if I go from fresh to recirc, the air seems to come out at a faster rate. Never really liked the recirc except for blocking out the smell of diesels, but now I'm not so sure

I thought there was some kind of logic to it as well (ie. it will default to fresh if the inside/outside temperature is hotter than the setting), but then I realised that my temperature setting is always on low and even in 35 degree heat, it still defaults to recirc.

I had my car serviced today at toyota. The odo was on almost 77,000 so i booked in for the major which is at 80,000. They serviced it as the 75,000 instead, so does that mean in 3000 kms i have to get the major service done? I was abit overdue for this service but should i just wait a little over 80,000 for the next service because i feel that im just wasting money otherwise

Ok, so its dumb questions from taco time.........

How do cops know all the laws, do they have a resource they can lookup and is that resource publicly available?

If not, then how can they impose unpublished laws?

How do cops know all the laws, do they have a resource they can lookup and is that resource publicly available?

Good question. They may have went through all the books and laws during their training period, but then again there's too many to remember...

In the same way that any professional should know the ins and outs of their field....experience and training. And, on the off-chance that they have forgotten something despite months/years of intensive training, then I'm sure they'd have some kind of reference book to refer back to - chances are that exact book isn't publically available, but there are plenty of public resources for that kind of stuff anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

just wondering what was the site that tells you which cars can handle e10 unleaded petrol.. im pretty sure it was answered in this forum before, but i just couldn't find it after using the search button and looking at my posts..

I was driving along the motorway at 110 right on the speed limit and i saw a Police motorcycle coming up behind me. Out of 4 lanes i was in the second to the left. I indicated to overtake the car infront of me, changed lanes and no way did i cut him off. Then he gets much closer behind me and im looking in the rear view mirror at him........ hes shaking his head at me. Then he goes to overtake me and i look across and hes still shaking his head at me.. what the hell did i do wrong? didnt indicate enough, came out of the lane too quickly or do something stupid i didnt notice?

I was driving along the motorway at 110 right on the speed limit and i saw a Police motorcycle coming up behind me. Out of 4 lanes i was in the second to the left. I indicated to overtake the car infront of me, changed lanes and no way did i cut him off. Then he gets much closer behind me and im looking in the rear view mirror at him........ hes shaking his head at me. Then he goes to overtake me and i look across and hes still shaking his head at me.. what the hell did i do wrong? didnt indicate enough, came out of the lane too quickly or do something stupid i didnt notice?

Did he have his blues and twos on? Standard practice when sirens and/or lights are on is that the emergency vehicle has complete right of way and you should give them as much room as possible, or if there is room around you then stay in your current lane at the same speed so they don't have to try and second-guess where you are going - he could also have interpreted your attempt to overtake the car in front as a potential blocking move, or that you were trying to get away from him.

Best thing to do when you see a emergency vehicle and you are obeying current road rules is to do absolutely nothing - don't change lanes, don't speed up or slow down (but stay at or just below the speed limit) and let them make the move, unless of course you are blocking the way, in which case you get out of the way as quickly and safely as possible, and let them go about their business.

No he didnt have his lights on or anything. If it was a two lane road i wouldnt have changed lanes at all because yes he probably has somewhere important to be. As i was overtaking the other car, there was still another lane to the right for him to overtake me which is why i dont understand.. anyway just a odd situation ive never seen before

edit: i also felt i needed to overtake because the car infront was not even going 100

Edited by Synthetic05

I had my car serviced today at toyota. The odo was on almost 77,000 so i booked in for the major which is at 80,000. They serviced it as the 75,000 instead, so does that mean in 3000 kms i have to get the major service done? I was abit overdue for this service but should i just wait a little over 80,000 for the next service because i feel that im just wasting money otherwise

I think them doing the 75000 instead was the right thing to do, you should never let a service get that far overdue!

On the slightly older subject or di-directional torque wrenches, they are there for when you have a bolt that has the thread going in the other direction, yes, they DO exist and you find them on cars in some spots.

I only noticed this just then, and don't recall seeing it the last time I actually looked there. Has anyone seen these here before:

di-412996597514.jpg

• Like 1

Seen Google and Yahoo plenty of times before, it is the search daemons I believe refreshing their cache of the site or something like that. Facebook is probably there because you can link your forum status update to your Facebook one (and also sign in via your Facebook account)