university colleges (?)

mrs.sportivo

anyone know about them like i think the UTS one is called INSEARCH but i heard macquarie has one too lols whats the name and are they any good ? far out seriously dont wanna go UWS lols

You might need to clarify exactly what you mean by "college". In Australia, college (when used in relation to university) generally refers to on-campus student accommodation.

Had friends done Insearch... Bludgers I have to say. Hardly any work..

ur UAI will determine how many term sessions u would need to complete.. The higher UAI, the shorter terms.

While also Insearch is counted as 1st year n u'll get a Diploma degree...

Edited by VF-X

anyone know about them like i think the UTS one is called INSEARCH but i heard macquarie has one too lols whats the name and are they any good ? far out seriously dont wanna go UWS lols

You might need to clarify exactly what you mean by "college". In Australia, college (when used in relation to university) generally refers to on-campus student accommodation.

Yeah - do you mean live on campus, or do a bridging course?

What universities have you actually received AN OFFER LETTER from?

If you are required to do a bridging course - probably best to do it at the university that has conditionally accepted you, or the one that you want to study in.

You really don't want to do a coupla months at one university to find they don't grant you credit for it at the other...

Actually these days it's a bridge between Uni and the outside world.

It's mostly used by International Students who have to do a semester of english training before starting their degree.

It is also used by early entry High School students to get a headstart on their chosen degree pathway.

UTS, Macquarie and UOW all have a university college system that I know of.

Flinders University in Adelaide also offers the service.

As far as i know, its pretty much like uni like your in the university LOL but your not "in in" if u know what i mean and its pretty much anyone can get into it the University College as long as they pay upfront for a whole year and if you pass that year you go straight into 2nd year to the university you picked. pretty cool huh :)

You only get one offer! and i got into UWS business, but seriously LOL come on HAHA i'd rather pay cash and go to UTS

Edited by mrs.sportivo

As far as i know, its pretty much like uni like your in the university LOL but your not "in in" if u know what i mean and its pretty much anyone can get into it the University College as long as they pay upfront for a whole year and if you pass that year you go straight into 2nd year to the university you picked. pretty cool huh :)

You only get one offer! and i got into UWS business, but seriously LOL come on HAHA i'd rather pay cash and go to UTS

Ok - so you want to increase your chances of getting into the other 2 then?

Here are some options:

1. You reject UWS and see if you get the other 2 in the second round. You risk missing out though...

2. You seem more keen on UTS than Macquarie... so enroll in INSEARCH and get into UTS that way. This is the long way though... I don't care what anyone tells you, the subjects you do here WILL NOT be able to be 100% counted as credit towards the proper degree.

3. (My preferred option)

Accept UWS and do a year there (or at least a semester). Do whatever subjects you can that are directly comparable to the same course at UTS. Make sure you do very well (ie. at least a credit average). Then apply again for UTS at the end of the year (or next semester). Hopefully your marks will work favourably and get you into UTS, but either way - you already have 1/3 of the degree completed.

Edited by Leroy

3. (My preferred option)

Accept UWS and do a year there (or at least a semester). Do whatever subjects you can that are directly comparable to the same course at UTS. Make sure you do very well (ie. at least a credit average). Then apply again for UTS at the end of the year (or next semester). Hopefully your marks will work favourably and get you into UTS, but either way - you already have 1/3 of the degree completed.

Exactly what happened to me.... I didn't get the marks for UOW but I got offered a place at La Trobe, so I went to a different campus for a year then applied to transfer. My La Trobe marks weren't crash hot so I only got in through a few face to face meetings and some careful negotiation (followed by some careful grovelling).

Take the UWS place and at least get started, those colleges aren't a guaranteed pathway into the degree, especially if you fail anything. Not to mention the college being a buttload more expensive.

Take the UWS place and at least get started, those colleges aren't a guaranteed pathway into the degree, especially if you fail anything. Not to mention the college being a buttload more expensive.

...not to mention completely unchallenging... If you took the HSC relatively seriously, then your writing and english skills should already surpass the rest of the class.

I've got a really intelligent friend who has had a full time job since school. Hes been bitten by the bug to get a qualification... but as a mature age, he is being forced to do a semester of a college course before being admitted.

He's ready to drop out already because, as his first impression of university, he isn't getting to use his brainpower... (I'm trying to convince him to last another month so he'll get admitted into some proper subjects :ph34r: )

whats wrong with uws business huh? hahah

whats wrong withthe good old tafe?

Nothing at all :)

My advice to you, William, is to think of all the things you are interested in - and how many of those you could really bear doing for the next 40 years of your life.

If you can do those things through tafe, then I tip my hat to you because you've found something you want to do.

If not, then I'd urge you to resit your last year of school and try to get into uni just to do a general arts or business degree. Even if its not what you want to do

(god knows I didn't want to become an economist when i started), it will give you 3 years to have a bit of fun and learn more about anything you can imagine. Even if you still don't know what you want to be by the end, you will still have a piece of paper that opens up a world of opportunity for you to play with...

Back on topic... awaiting mrs.sportivo's return...

Edited by Leroy

ive graduated BA Arts (Fine Arts) and postgraduate Teaching- Secondary (Visual Arts) @ UWS. What exactly is it that you dont like about UWS? think about it - youd be driving opposite to the flow of traffic by going to UWS! Campus's with wide open spaces! not concrete jungle like UTS... rush rush rush.

if you are really picky... maybe you should look into Australian Catholic Uni. long time ago i remember accounting graduates from ACU had a higher % of finding a job than UTS graduates.

hmm.. ive got a Godsister who did 1 semester of environmental studies (i think? - she walked through a sewer/swamp for one of her subjects lol) at UWS, then transferred to UTS and graduated from Interior Design and is currently working with the DET. it only cost her like 1 extra year of study at the most.

in any case, if you can get where you want to go (career wise) with the course you were accepted in@ UWS, just take the UWS offer and be happy with what you got.

i did 5 years of spraypainting and hated my life after 2years, but i went thru with it cause the money was good if u know how to hustle, im now a chef and i love every thing about my job i couldnt see my self doing anything else (for any one thinking this guys a girl for being a chef i dare u to watch an episode of boiling point) and then say some thing. my mate goes to uws and he says its nothing but orgi parties and grog (youll love it there crab face)

my advice to any one is try and do some thing u love cause youll be doing it most of your life

id rather get $2 a day doing some thing i like than $200000 a yr doing some thing i hate

whats wrong withthe good old tafe?

there are something things which wont be achieveable in the working sphere with just a tafe certification ..... i know that without a degree i couldnt have gotten to where i am today .... and being that ive hired people to manage etc its not so much that oh this person has a degree but more the fact that this person showed commitment to a cause a sustained through it to get a positive outcome for themselves .... this is more what i look @ when hiring people.

for any one thinking this guys a girl for being a chef ........

get back in the kitchen u biatch :P :P :P :P hahahahaha nah good sound advice mate.

Look ashy i think all the options have been presented ...... yes u could go to one of those entry clinics (SIBT, Insearch) - i personally think the uni's found a way to make legal their cash for entry dilemma's they had from several year ago .... but anyway this is one option or as suggested start @ UWS and move after getting good results to UTS.

Ill give u a word of advise though ..... what i found is the city uni's dont tend to be as personal as the external uni's ..... dont get me wrong UTS, UNSW, USyd yes they all have reputations etc etc but when discussing uni life with collegues that i work with we had a totally different experience ...... btw i graduated from UWS macarthur so nothing wrong with UWS ..... i had the opportunity to get into the city uni's but chose not too since it just didnt fit into my life at the time to head into the city everyday.

3. (My preferred option)

BAM! Spot on the best option possible.

What exactly is it that you dont like about UWS? think about it - youd be driving opposite to the flow of traffic by going to UWS! Campus's with wide open spaces! not concrete jungle like UTS... rush rush rush.

I ended up doing a similar thing. Went to uni on the Gold Coast so was always driving the opposite direction to the traffic, no stress from the drive at all :D

Ill give u a word of advise though ..... what i found is the city uni's dont tend to be as personal as the external uni's ..... dont get me wrong UTS, UNSW, USyd yes they all have reputations etc etc but when discussing uni life with collegues that i work with we had a totally different experience ...... btw i graduated from UWS macarthur so nothing wrong with UWS ..... i had the opportunity to get into the city uni's but chose not too since it just didnt fit into my life at the time to head into the city everyday.

I had the same impression from up in Brisbane too. I planned on doing 1 year at Griffith GC then changing to UQ. But I had friends at UQ tell me about lectures that were in the hundreds of people (my lectures were less than 100). So it just seemed less personal. Plus I already knew the lecturers, be nice to them as they are more likely to help you with your study, but more importantly turn up to every class and look like your making an effort as they don't help the lazy people.

LOL nothings wrong with UWS its just i dont know ? im fussy ?? HAHA

and the reason why i dont wanna go there and transfer after the first year is because i heard its much harder to transfer university's rather than transfering courses. But anyways :) i applied for Insearch, and i havent accepted the offer at UWS im trying to see if ill get a better offer in the 2nd round of offers coming in Feb

I guess my hearts just set on UTS, UNSW & Macquarie =\

and yes, i didnt really take the HSC seriously lols but suprisingly i did better than i expected. So yeah looks like i got better than 70% of the state so thats a plus, right ?

Edited by mrs.sportivo