What did you do to your car today?

I didn't do anything to my car today because it is in the panel shop, but I did pick up a silver Camry Hybrid to drive for the weekend to see if I could live with a hybrid.

So far, I'd have to say a hybrid car is just not for me. Everything just feels too different and it doesn't feel as connected as a petrol only car.

Anyways, I wrote up my opinions on my blog, but I will copy it here:

http://djkor.blogspot.com/2010/06/so-this-is-step-in-right-direction.html

So for the last week at work, I've just been borrowing my sister's Mazda 3 to drive around in. I'm sure I said this before last time I had to borrow it due to an accident, but damn this car is sluggish. It goes to show how used you get to your own car. Anyways, my sister will be needing her car this weekend so I decided to hire out a Toyota Camry Hybrid and see how they go.

I picked it up earlier today and have given it a bit of a drive so far. First impression are that this car is just weird to drive. Not in the bad way, but in the way that everything just doesn't feel what you would normally be used to in a car. You press the 'POWER' button and the only sign to tell you the car actually is on is the 'Ready' light on the dash. There is no initial hum of an engine running or the sound of an engine starting... just silence.

Then comes the drive itself. Personally I didn't think it would be that noticeable, but the whole 'Hybrid Synergy Drive' thing isn't exactly as seamless as I was expecting. I personally think there is a little bit too much lag in having the petrol engine assist/take over the electric motor. So in moments where you need to accelerate more sharply, it initially feels a bit more sluggish than say a non-hybrid Camry, but because of the way it all ties in, it's hard to say whether it actually is more sluggish.

I'm guessing that it actually isn't, but it's only just the feel of it. As I said before, I think it's just that overall unnatural feeling that makes the driving experience a little odd. Once you are in motion though and travel over varying conditions, the transition between petrol and electric becomes pretty much unnoticeable and everything feels like a normal car. It is an odd feeling though just hearing the engine turn itself on and off, but I guess if you put a little music on, you wouldn't even tell.

Putting your foot down in this car is certainly something different. It sure has more go than your normal 2.4l Camry. Sure this defeats the purpose of having a hybrid, but it's good to know that there is power there when needed. It does take a short second or two to pick up though but when it does, it will keep on moving. About the only issue I would have with this though is the CV transmission. After driving with traditional gearboxes for quite some time, a CV just seems so wrong. When you put your foot down and have the revs build up, you get this massive urge to want to upshift. Instead, you keep on doing as you are doing and the car takes care of itself... despite it sounding like you are over-revving it.

Then there is the fun part of slowing to a stop. Having read about hybrids before, I am aware of how slow and gentle braking is what is usually best for it. All I can say is that a gentle application of the brakes is actually pretty strong for what I was expecting. It's not a bad thing at all... I was just surprised. As far as I'm aware, the regeneration component of it will be doing quite a bit of the braking when you lightly apply it, so this is quite a bit of stopping power this system can hold. If you need to brake in a real hurry though, you can push down further on the pedal, but it starts to feel a bit different when you do that.

When you brake really heavily, there is a clear distinction between the regeneration and the actual hydraulic braking system. When you push the pedal just that little too much, you can feel the point where the actual brake pads start doing their work. I wouldn't say any of these things are an issue. I'm just stating what differences are to be noticed after coming for driving a traditional car.

On the topic of braking, there is one thing that I find pretty cool in a way. When slowing down with light to moderate braking power, as you come towards a complete stop, if you don't have any music on etc, you get that electrical humming sound due to the regeneration system similar to when a train slows down. It's just something you don't expect to hear from a car. And then when you come to that stop, everything is just dead silent. It's just an odd feeling sitting there with cars around you and you feel like yours is off.

I did say some time ago that if the Aurion wasn't produced, I would opt for a Camry Hybrid over just a normal Camry. After driving the hybrid for a little bit so far, I don't think the hybrid would be a car that I could get used to just yet. Despite having less overall power, I think I would still be tempted to get a normal Camry rather than the hybrid.

That said... I'm thankful for the Aurion.

I washed, clayed polished waxed, tyre shined the Aurion, and gave the inside a deep clean. Oh my god, after 2 weeks of being in absolute filth from the mud and rain she looks so amazing. After cleaning it I took it for a cruise to have my honeymoon period after washing it. It just feels so damn good, in conjunction with my new TCU the car is bloody perfect. So glad I got an Aurion. I can't believe I was thinking of selling it. :o

edit: I gotta head off somewhere now quickly. I'll read your blog when I come back DJKOR. Interested to see your thoughts on the camryhybrid :)

Edited by unique

Today I took the hire car Camry Hybrid around Nebo early in the morning (as in midnight) then gave her a good workout today while letting a few people test drive it, then returned her.

Final conclusions... everything I said earlier about it's flaws, I take back. Sure the drive still doesn't feel natural, but if you drive it for a little bit (I covered a total of about 800km in it) you get used to it. That lag that I said it had becomes less noticeable mainly because it doesn't really lag, it just has that illusion, and it is a rather quick car for what it is. I still couldn't get used to the way the engine revved with the CVT, but that's just a personal thing.

Also, if I was to add one thing about this car that I kind of envy a little... it would be the brakes. The rotors and pads are probably no different to a standard Aurion, but due to the way the brakes on this car works, when you brake hard you have a combination of regenerative braking together with hydraulic braking. From feel alone, I personally think the Hybrid Camry can 'out-brake' a TRD Aurion... if the tires had more grip.

When I took it around Nebo, I was quite surprised as well at how well it could move around there despite being the car it is. Now I'm not the best to test cars around Nebo so this is only as a rough guide. Timing from the bottom of Nebo (at the large green sign) up to Jolly's Lookout, these are some rough figures.

My TRD Aurion 3500SL: 9 minutes 55 seconds

My Aurion Sportivo SX6: 10 minutes 25 seconds

The Camry Hybrid: 11 minutes 00 seconds

Just for fun I put filmed this at the same time. Just ignore my crappy driving. I didn't really push it hard and I misjudged a few corners with respect to how the car would take it. You will also notice how witht he CVT, the engine just revs and revs which just doesn't sound right.

Those that are familiar with Nebo will probably also realise that it seems rather slow in the video... but it really isn't. Also to note, at about 9:58 there is a transition in which approximately 7 seconds of footage is missing. My camera cut out at that time and I had to hit record again.

I hate night driving man, Nebo during the day is much more fun.

I did reverse Nebo today (started @ Samford Valley) and it was my first time since I've had the non-standard brakes, swaybar, strut brace and supercharger.

Happy with the difference in how she handled and pulled out of corners but I definitely need to tighten up the front.

I hate night driving man, Nebo during the day is much more fun.

In the words of Mick, Nebo isn't so great during the day because you can see your pending fate. :lol: I've never liked it during the day.

I did reverse Nebo today (started @ Samford Valley) and it was my first time since I've had the non-standard brakes, swaybar, strut brace and supercharger.

That way is so good. As long as you've got power, you can push show hard because a lot of your speed can be dissipated in the steepness of it all.

Happy with the difference in how she handled and pulled out of corners but I definitely need to tighten up the front.

Good to hear. At least it's a nice place to test out and see what needs improvement.

That way is so good. As long as you've got power, you can push show hard because a lot of your speed can be dissipated in the steepness of it all.

Yeah, stayed in 2nd gear for most of the Samford valley ascent.

Will have to do normal Nebo to see just how much the brakes have. OEM ones were hot well before the Samford turnoff and were spongy on the approach of the first big switchback/hairpin.

Lol that video made it look like you were just cruising at the speed limit. Except for the fact that you can hear the reving which is completely weird sounding mind you, and tyre squeal. When is your car ready from the repairers?

Finallyfinished assembling my C56/ C150 hybrid close ratio gearbox with lsd and TRD4.7:1 final drive for my Echo rally car. Went to fit my TRD chromemoly flywheel to the car only to find that two of the 6 flywheel bolts have stretched, so hopefully I can get 6 new ones from Toyota today.

Then I just have to get everything fitted to the car before the rally on Saturday. Lucky I'm not leaving things to the last minute like usual :spiteful:.

got my side mirror cover back on.. and mirror mount realligned and tightened at panelshop. all good now.. for free too! woot

Cool.

So job + part = nothing to pay ?

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

got my side mirror cover back on.. and mirror mount realligned and tightened at panelshop. all good now.. for free too! woot

Cool.

So job + part = nothing to pay ?

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

yeah.. took the guy 20mins.. popped cover back on. tightened 3 bolts.. done! im stoked!

Got my puncture fixed today and took a photo with the steelie on the rear. :lol:

ao1637.jpg

will put my Buddy Club back on tommorrow.

Edited by 1stKill

Got my puncture fixed today and took a photo with the steelie on the rear. :lol:

ao1637.jpg

will put my Buddy Club back on tommorrow.

looks tough lee, i like steelies. i remembered when we all helped tommee take out his rims and put them on another guys car, we had to put the steelies back on... red calipers thru steelies = tough :P

Not my car but I took my mums Lexus GS460 up Mt Nebo tonight. To sum up my experience in one word:

Gobsmacked.

I can see where the extra money you pay comes into play. The entire car is so balanced; there has obviously been alot of thought put into each component of the vehicle.

The 4.6L V8 is subtle but definitely has enough grunt to move the 1735kg car... swiftly, the sport setting on the suspension is firm and responsive without being harsh, the ECT mode (sports) is responsive to your foot on the throttle, steering is direct + responsive and accurate and body roll if present is unnoticeable, the massive brakes pull up the car very quickly even under repeated applications.

I was blown away at just how effortless Nebo was in this car compared to my camry. It was like a leisurely Sunday afternoon drive. The car was just made for it.

I can't stop shaking my head.

Checked my tyres for any screws/nails ect ect when i left work this arvo.

also wacked in a new Ambi Pur refill and filled her up with Shell V-Power.... :)