DJKOR's Aurion - Rev. 2

DJKOR

That is some hard acceleration.

Surprisingly it wasn't. To get it to make some noise like when I was accelerating in the tunnels, I had to get it to shift into 2nd then apply about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. Any more than that it would firstly have a good tendency to kick into 1st to get more acceleration or it would simply pick up revs too quickly. Once the revs get high, the engine noise alone is louder than the supercharger.

It's a shame it is too quiet. You don't hear much supercharger whine out there.

Can't get enough of the wine.

Well here's more what a supercharged Toyota should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs2jklMOOs

It's a hard toss up isn't it Daryl?

I love the whine of my roots charger, but I'd love the efficiency of the TVS. It is certainly a tough choice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So those that have seen my car in person at night will know that the design of my personalised plate blocks a lot of the light available to illuminate it properly. This was a problem that was also present in my last Aurion.

Despite putting in some rather bright LED T10 bulb replacements, there was still not enough to light the plate up... which I don't particularly mind, but they are personalised plates and it is nice to have them showing. So basically it looked something like this:

dsc06027a.jpg

After seeing a set of complete lamp assembly replacements on the Thai website 'R-Style Racing', I thought I would pick up a set. I cound a pair on eBay which was more convenient, and then proceeded to purchase them. They look like this:

dsc06021t.jpg

So I got them today and just fitted them then.

Using the word 'bright' would be a fairly large understatement. I misjudged just how bright they actually are. At least one positive is that it now lights up my number plate and you can read it from a distance. The only problem is that it now also lights up the rear of my car.

dsc06029.jpg

• Like 1

Mate they look very flash, but I'm wondering now whether you might get some prick of a traffic cop who'll book you for em on account that they're a "white light" at the rear of a car that isn't a reverse light.

Despite saying that, I'm already on Ebay looking for a set myself :P

• Like 1

Mate they look very flash, but I'm wondering now whether you might get some prick of a traffic cop who'll book you for em on account that they're a "white light" at the rear of a car that isn't a reverse light.

Despite saying that, I'm already on Ebay looking for a set myself :P

I was more concerned about them getting me for having number plate lights that are too bright. I didn't think of the white light thing. More along the lines of 'dazzling other road users'. That said, because they face directly down, they don't put out any glare that can be considered annoying.

I tried using a very light tint film to dull it down a little, but the end result is that the plate is nearly as unreadable as it was before. But then if I get it so that my rear isn't lit up, then I am potentially up for getting done because my plates aren't readable from such and such distance. It seems to me that having half my a55 illuminated has to be the trade-off if I want my number plate lit up. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place I reckon.

That said, once you are out on the black road, the ground doesn't look as lit up and it appears to be slightly less bright. Then add on the headlights lighting up the front and your eyes then adjust to having more light and the rear doesn't seem as bright as it was when the headlights were off.

Once you are a few metres or so back, it actually doesn't look as bad. Still a little bright, but there isn't much more I can do. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. Let's just hope I get off with a warning should I get done for it the first time around.

Edit: This is the seller BTW. http://stores.ebay.com.au/Alltronix-Automotive-Accessories

Edit 2: At least if the quality of these aren't that great (though I doubt that because they look to be of a very very good quality), I can easily afford to have a few LED's on each side blow. I don't think I will loose much if they did.

• Like 1

What about chucking a voltage regulator in and drop it to like 10v... would dim them a bit...

Considered that... enough to try it out. Luckily I just have one laying around (this kit BTW). I have learnt one thing.

I have to decide whether I want the plate lit or the back of the car dark. There isn't an in-between. If I use the original lights, it is just plain dark and the plate is unreadable. If I use the new lights, the plate is well illuminated, but so is the back of the car. If I dim the new lights, the plate doesn't get much light and it's getting that much closer to the way it was when I started... yet the back of the car still remains rather lit. I don't think I can really get a winning combination here. It really comes down to the design of the number plate.

I'm just going to leave it as it is. I guess you will see what I mean on Thursday.

• Like 1

you have a nice bum daryl.... ;)

Thanks mate. I guess now I can show it off at night :lol:

On a side note, I just realised the padded bag that my lights were sent in has green tape on it saying "Opened by Australia Post for inspection by Customs". Seriously, how can those lights look suspicious.

Edit: That said, I have had customs seize the following before when it arrived in Australia. 1) Bullet bracelet, and 2) Some high power Blue Ray laser components. Maybe the destination address triggered some alert :lol:

• Like 1

you could light up the gabber with them daryl

LOL. Probably could if you had a few more of them. They are seriously bright. I had to drive home with it today and was rather concerned.

i covered half of the lens with black tape to reduce brightness that might help

You know, that is actually quite a good idea. So much so... I went ahead and did that. I picked up the 200 mile per hour tape (gaffer tape for more durability) and got to work.

I thought it would have been most effective covering half of it from left to right, but in the end, it didn't help much with reducing illumination outside of the plate, and it also dimmed the light used to light the plate up. Then I experimented with covering half of it from left to right. That seemed to do the trick. It turns out that the light illuminates too far over the end of the plate putting a fair bit of light everywhere else but the plate. So now I have 10 of the 18 LED's on each light covered and it has helped a fair bit.

Even still, there is quite a lot of light, but it is better than before. At the same time, the illumination of the plate isn't affected. I couldn't take a photo from far back because I only just did it then and it's too quiet now to open the garage, but you kind get the idea if you compare it with my previous photo. The ground is still lit up a bit, but it's about half as much as before.

So this is how much of the light is covered:

dsc06043l.jpg

And this is the end result. A fair bit of that illumination is light reflected back from the garage door. If you look to the sides of the plate though, you can clearly see that there is less light now:

dsc06034q.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I was wondering, how is the air hole for the S/C going?

Still going good. Haven't noticed anything difference in terms of how the heatsoak affects the 'performance' since any gain there would be rather small. It does still keep it cool though. For example, after a mountain run, I can hold my hand on the S/C for about 8 seconds before it is too hot to touch. Previously, it would burn immediately.

• Like 1

hey DJKOR... i heard there was a recall on the TRD AURIONS, is this true or a lie?

No Toyota in Australia... including the TRD is affected by any current recall. Whoever mentioned about such recall is well mis-informed. Funnily, the first I heard of a TRD Aurion recall was a comment from (surprise, surprise) Sara (sketra) in response to a post Will made on Facebook.

• Like 1

hey DJKOR... i heard there was a recall on the TRD AURIONS, is this true or a lie?

No Toyota in Australia... including the TRD is affected by any current recall. Whoever mentioned about such recall is well mis-informed. Funnily, the first I heard of a TRD Aurion recall was a comment from (surprise, surprise) Sara (sketra) in response to a post Will made on Facebook.

well we all know how much of a fucking retatd she is :rolleyes:

well we all know how much of a fucking retatd she is :rolleyes:

^^^^^^ hahahahahaha!! @ DJKOR.. yeah thats where i read it!! lol...

So I was wondering, how is the air hole for the S/C going?

It does still keep it cool though. For example, after a mountain run, I can hold my hand on the S/C for about 8 seconds before it is too hot to touch. Previously, it would burn immediately.

That's a decent difference. I'm sure the S/C is thanking you for it. At least now you know that when you are giving the S/C a workout it's getting decent air flow.

• 1 month later...

Win.

I get a call earlier from the shop around the corner saying that my eyelids are now painted. So I go there, pick it up then stop by home to leave them safely there until I fit it tonight after washing her. I get home, 5 minutes later, the courier arrives. Red Stuff pads just arrived. Perfect timing. I know it's nothing major, but it's something to entertain me for a few minutes at least.

di-1012876242984.jpg

• Like 1

ill be interested in your thoughts on the redstuff... i found them quite good once they were bedded in after about 1000kms... :)

expect squealing though... :P

Awe damn...

I was starting to get fed up of my current pads squealing because they are getting near the end. Guess I have more of it to come.

Was going to fit the pads after work, but with the meet coming up soon and some things I need to fix up remotely on a site before it, I will have to save changing them till Friday after work. I think I may possibly be just about on the wear indicators.

On a side note, I washed the car and fitted these:

di-612876522503.jpg

• Like 1