2zzge AE82 sedan conversion

CHA54

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stripped the bay down today, gave it a clean, unpicked the battery tray and ground off the surface rust.

Treated the bare metal, cleaned the rest of the bay and then gave it a couple of coats of Dupont 2 pack primer/filler. Will give it a coat of Twincam "JC" Red tomorrow after a rub back

AE82_22.jpg

AE82_23.jpg

AE82_24.jpg

Bay is now Twincam "JC" Red, couple of small runs in the paint due to me not bothering to setup the flow rate correctly on the gun but it's good enough for an engine bay...

AE82_25.JPG

not much progress, focusing on the body now as the hard part of the mechanical side of things is complete...

spent half the day at a FWD dyno day today with the 1zzfte, got home this afternoon and decided to fix the rust in the car.

As luck would have it, the only section of rust in the sedan was not rusted in the donor AE82 twincam hatch. So I cut a section out of the hatch and tig'd it into the sedan. Will re-do the seam sealer and give it a skim coat of bog when the body is ready for spraying.

Rust cut out of sedan:

AE82_26.jpg

Donor section cut out of hatch:

AE82_27.jpg

Donor section cut and shaped to fit sedan, tacked in place:

AE82_28.jpg

Donor section fully welded on 15-17A with 1mm filler wire:

AE82_29.jpg

Rear quarter attacked with a flap-disk:

AE82_30.jpg

I see she is rolling on mazda ;) i had things the other way around. i had my mazda rolling on toyota before i got my wagon :P i sent you a pm back jason.

• 2 weeks later...

progress is slow, have been working on prepping the EFI tank and powersteering stuff for installation. I'm going with a supra 280lph denso pump and external filter/reg for the fuel system, the tank was a bit crusty inside so I've cleaned and treated the interior and sandblasted/painted the exterior. The powersteer rack has been sandblasted and is being fitted with new rack/tie rod ends and boots.

got the hard part of the brake lines done...

Bolted up the AE112 booster/master combo for the last time, was happy to find that the AE112 proportioning valve also bolted up to the stock AE82 bracket that the rear line fitting and clutch hardline bracket bolt to. A small amount of tweaking was needed to make the stock AE112 hardlines from the master to valve fit. With that done I made some new stainless adapter lines to hook up the twinky rear brake hardlines.

All that's left now is to modify the stock twincam front brake hardlines to bolt up to the T-piece mounted under the master (Drivers side hardline) and the extra straight-through outlet of the proportioning valve (passenger side hardline).

Twinky power steering rack is all reco'd and ready to fit, also took delivery of a car-load of superpro stuff tonight for it so I'll be able to get started on the suspension arms etc now.

AE82_33.jpg

AE82_34.jpg

AE82_35.jpg

A bit more done over the weekend.

Finished all the brake hard lines, refinished the front suspension arms and fitted superpro bushes, cleaned and rebuilt the twinky hubs with new wheel bearings, fitted the 280lph Denso fuel pump and modified the fuel pump hanger to accept larger gauge wire for the extra amperage of the pump.

Also cleaned up a bunch of the brackets and gave them a coat of VHT black. Bolted in the steering rack and fitted the rebuilt hubs with the old twinky struts. Didn't get to the brake calipers of disc machining this weekend but should get all that done throughout the week after work.

Two of the mounts are now fitted with machined 70duro poly rod, I need to borrow an indexing wheel to use with my mill to cut some slots in them so they're livable on the street

AE82_36.jpg

AE82_37.jpg

AE82_38.jpg

Jason, just as a point of reference I have a feeling the AE82 brake support dimentions are the same as the AW11 so ST185 front rotors bolt straight up with the Sportivo calipers with a crush washer between the turn knuckle bracket and the caliper just to centre the disc in the caliper.

There should be plenty of other upgrades that with bolt to those dimensions.

Have already got AE111 superstrut twin piston brakes, just have to machine down the outside diameter of the disc to 263mm from 272mm and they bolt straight up :)

more boring stuff done this weekend, cleaned up the rear arms and fitted superpro bushes, cleaned up the hubs and painted the disc dust shields. With the arms all fitted I then assembled the EFI tank and fitted that to the car.

AE82_44.jpg

I've fitted a US Supra Denso 280lph fuel pump to the AE82 hanger, direct replacement for the original AE82 pump which is nice. I did upgrade the wiring to the pump though to cope with the extra amps the supra pump can draw at full load (18A). I drilled out the AE82 electrical bulkhead fitting for the positive wire and then put a 5mm hole through the center of it and parted off the spade-shaped lug inside the tank. With this done I was able to use a 5mm bolt/nut and new ring terminals to fit the heavier gauge wire.

AE82_40.jpg

AE82_41.jpg

AE82_43.jpg

AE82_42.jpg

Also pulled the cam cover off the engine to see how gummed up the engine is, I'd bought a complete gasket set and ARP head studs in anticipation of the top end being in poor condition... to my suprise it's very clean, so I'll be leaving the head alone for the moment.

AE82_45.jpg

AE82_39.jpg

Just waiting on new brake discs and lines now, then the car can go back on the ground

Very clean looking head almost mint. Mine looks shocking in comparison, and that is still in good condition...

Head is a pain to get off (unless you have the correct bi hex bit, which I don't and am having trouble finding) hope to get mine sent off during the week to get machined and the new valves and springs set. You also need to pull the cams out to get access to the head bolts.

was in NSW for Saturday and Sunday of the weekend, got a little bit done today after spending the morning at the wreckers collecting more bits for other cars.

redrilled and machined the new protec discs (same as DBA743) to 4x100 pcd and 265mm outside diameter. At 265mm there is about 1mm of disc overhang on the pads and the AE111 superstrut calipers clear nicely...

AE82_46.jpg

Just have to rebuild the calipers now and the front brakes can go together.

• 3 weeks later...

rear main, flywheel and clutch are sorted...

Replaced the rear main by slicing out the inner section of the seal and then pulling the outer section out with some needle nose pliers:

AE82_51.JPG

Then chased the threads for the flywheel bolts and installed a new rear main:

AE82_52.JPG

Flywheel installed with ARP 4age bolts:

AE82_53.JPG

Clutch cover and disc... I'm not a fan of the damper design in the disc so am ordering a couple of different centers from http://www.clutchnet.com/home.php

AE82_54.JPG

AE82_55.JPG

Done:

AE82_56.JPG

last weekend I stripped out the interior ready to swap in the twinky looms etc, I would have got it back together but the foam on the blower fan and heater ducting was perished so that needs replacing before re-assembly.

A mate also dropped around some work rims to test fit. Unfortunately they JUST hit a section of the outer edge of the superslut caliper, I'll probably clearance the edge of the caliper with a flap disc to give it 1-2mm of clearance and see how that goes. 15x7 +35's I think...

Interior:

AE82_47.jpg

Brakes/Rims:

AE82_48.jpg

AE82_49.jpg