2zzge AE82 sedan conversion

CHA54

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. Can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner!

Amazing fabrication and custom work mate very impressive stuff. * gets insanely enviously jealous at workshop/tool/space/time you have *

Cant wait to see the end product. Kudos to you sir, Kudos.

Dan

bit more done over the weekend, the car's on it's wheels again now and engine is back in for the final time. I've started sorting out some of the little stuff...

The main thing I worked on this afternoon was the shift setup. With the ZZE gearbox bracket/linkages, AE82 cables and AE82 shifter, it was impossible to select 1st/2nd/reverse etc. Compared the shift cable bracket between the C52 and ZZ C60 and found some significant differences. I chopped up the two and tacked together a hybrid bracket which can now select all 6 gears and reverse with the stock AE82 shifter unmodified.

I'll probably mod the bracket some more so the up/down selector cable sits flatter and further away from the turbo manifold runners.

Also turned up another insert for the top gearbox mount this morning, all sits very nicely now.

Next on the list is the driveshafts, using ae92 passenger shaft with 1zz inner CV, 2zz half-shaft with AE111 outer and CV. For the moment I've got two outer CV stubs bolted into the hubs so it doesn't wreck the new bearings rolling around with no shafts in.

pics...

Original ZZE bracket with AE82 cables, you can see the rearmost cable is at it's limit in neutral:

AE82_60.JPG

Comparison of ZZE and AE shift cable brackets:

AE82_61.JPG

AE82_62.JPG

Hybrid Bracket tacked together:

AE82_63.JPG

Overview of the back of the bay:

AE82_64.JPG

Mounts:

AE82_65.JPG

AE82_66.JPG

AE82_67.JPG

Overall shot of bay showing room between engine and firewall for turbo:

AE82_68.JPG

Front of engine, can see the clearance to the AE112 master etc:

AE82_69.JPG

Looking good Jason. That brake master gives ample space.

What are you doing about the alternator? I notice it's not in there yet.

Interesting about the shifter linkages. I hear that I'll have similar troubles finding reverse with my setup because there is not enough leverge space around the shifter to slot into reverse with the standard linkage positions. Will deal with that when I get up to it.

Your sticking with the A/C too I see.

All coming together well.

Alternator's sitting on the bench, just haven't bolted it up yet. I've got a whole second intake etc that's going on after soda-blasting.

Also, forgot to ask... could you detail the driveshaft mix and match when you do it as that's a similar path I intended on going as well.

I was going to try and use the AW outers with the Sportivo inners... not sure if they would match up though until I take them all apart once the 4A is out of the adub.

the other option is SW20 3SGE shafts.

didn't get anything done on the car over the weekend as I had to do a trip to NSW.

Have got a bunch of files ready to send to the laser cutters this week though, getting T25 inlet/outlet flanges cut for the turbo, a bunch of 2zz exhaust flanges, a custom T25 actuator bracket and a new dash cluster bezel to mount some speedhut revolution gauges from the US.

I really didn't want to run a cable speedo with the turbo next to the firewall, so bit the bullet and bought a full set of gauges for the car. Fitting speedo, tach, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp and fuel level gauges into an old stock cluster, along with the warning light symbols from the original AE82 cluster.

Will look just like this but with black bezels on the gauges:

ae82%20cluster%20v7.jpg

2 1/16" outer gauges and 3 3/8" speedo and tach, boost gauge will go on the pillar

more toys...

Nice way to package a multiple gauge order, all nicely in one box, the different looms/sensors all packaged and labelled nicely.

gauges_1.JPG

gauges_2.JPG

gauges_3.JPG

gauges_4.JPG

The new instrument panel looks good! Not sure if the white background will blend well with the dashboard :P

lol im sure he can blend the white in with some crayons.....

seriously though i like the ""guage"guage cluster"

so wheres the shift light goin:P

didn't get anything done on the car over the weekend as I had to do a trip to NSW.

Have got a bunch of files ready to send to the laser cutters this week though, getting T25 inlet/outlet flanges cut for the turbo, a bunch of 2zz exhaust flanges, a custom T25 actuator bracket and a new dash cluster bezel to mount some speedhut revolution gauges from the US.

I really didn't want to run a cable speedo with the turbo next to the firewall, so bit the bullet and bought a full set of gauges for the car. Fitting speedo, tach, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp and fuel level gauges into an old stock cluster, along with the warning light symbols from the original AE82 cluster.

Will look just like this but with black bezels on the gauges:

ae82%20cluster%20v7.jpg

2 1/16" outer gauges and 3 3/8" speedo and tach, boost gauge will go on the pillar

omg that looks so good. will it rev to 10k? :P

Check this thread twice a day cant get enough lol

CHA54 - Redefining corolla epicness....for over ten years

Dan.

fixed

Re quoted for epicness and global domination.

Mad cluster

Good luck with the wiring *scratches head* :-| lol

enjoy

dan