500KM out of a full to the brim tank?

Silver-Aurion

Funny how people think they get better fuel economy from one company than an other.

FYI I work in the fuel industry in Perth and have done so for over 10 years.

Caltex, Shell, United, Gull, Peak, Caltex Woolies, Coles.......all comes from the same terminals......either Shell North Fremantle or Coogee Chemicals in Kwinana.

As of next year, Shell North Fremantle will be closing down and all fuel will be ex Coogee Chemicals.

The only exception to the rule is when buying BP fuels as this comes from a their own facilities.

All 91 ron is the same.......PULP95/Vortex 95 is just a different additive for each company but most of is in the know beleive it just prints out the paperwork differently.

PULP98/Vortex 98, once again just a different additive for each company, base fuel is still the same same.

Always buy fuel from busy servos..........a servo should never run tanks below say 20%. However......it is common practice for United sites to run their tanks dry.......now this is where it becomes interesting....all tanks have a certain percentage of water at the bottom so i will let you work out where that water goes..........

Caltex Woolies on the other hand have good management and never let the sites run below 20%. If they do, the person at the site will no longer have a job!

Handy bit of info for you all........i hope so!

The tank guage at my work gives a printout of current levels including amount of water in the tank, and we nearly always sit on 0% - 0mm ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid $1.46 last week for V-Power 98, n so far im getting round 500km to the tank before the light comes on. Im driving my car to 0 on the 'cruising range' for the first time this week. Hopefully atleast get 560-580kms. anyone use the wynns racing octane booster? I heard a mixed range of opinions on using the additive.

...anyone use the wynns racing octane booster? I heard a mixed range of opinions on using the additive.

Don't bother mate. Does absolutely nothing measurable on even the TRD... which would actually benefit more from it if it needed. Save the $10 or so and put it towards something else.

I ran out of fuel yesterday! When I started my car it read quarter of tank of fuel left but the range was 11km. I was baffled by that and decided to test it out. I eventually did run out of fuel just 20 mins after leaving home. I wasn't flooring anything at all. I was driving like a nanny. So when I said on 13th September which was a Tuesday, it went down to empty just 5 days later. I was in fact driving a lot on the weekend so yeah the fuel readings baffled me a lot. No warning light! I did run out of fuel just as I was getting into BP petrol station.

The question is: why didn't the low fuel light come on at the start up and why did the fuel gauge reading say quarter of tank left but the trip computer says 11 kms range left to go to empty? some people says 30kms left to go, the warning light comes on. I am kinda confused what just happened.

For your query, my car is 2010 Toyota Aurion (built April 2010 bought October 2010). I am thinking the fuel sensor must be dirty?

I've just filled my 3rd tankful of 91 RON. I have been using 98 RON since picking up the car, brand new from the Dealer.

I have not driven the car any differently, and have been going through the usual day to day travelling.

There is BUGGER ALL difference. To me, 91 RON, 98 RON, whatever it don't make no difference.

Feeling quite pi$$ed that I've been spending extra cash on so called "Premium" fuel when there's no difference.

The car runs the same, accelerates the same, there's no discernible difference.

Goes to show how effective good marketing BS can be.

Fuel consumption (average) on 98 RON : 10.45 L/100km

Fuel consumption (average) on 91 RON : 10.18 L/100km

dry.gif

Edited by Beep Beep

The question is: why didn't the low fuel light come on at the start up and why did the fuel gauge reading say quarter of tank left but the trip computer says 11 kms range left to go to empty? some people says 30kms left to go, the warning light comes on. I am kinda confused what just happened.

Sounds like the fuel level float may have stuck at the level it was displaying. Could possibly have been a once off thing. I guess you will find out.

There is BUGGER ALL difference. To me, 91 RON, 98 RON, whatever it don't make no difference.

Feeling quite pi$$ed that I've been spending extra cash on so called "Premium" fuel when there's no difference.

Hence my previous comment:

Edit: Also, this is just personal opinion, but the fact you use BP Ultimate doesn't exactly mean you will have better fuel economy. Everyone thinks that higher octane just equates to more power (and in turn equates to better fuel consumption) but I tend to think differently. Your octane rating is essentially the fuel's "resistance to igniting due to compression" (ie. knocking/pinging) and I believe that it doesn't really matter unless you are redlining your engine all the time. So realistically, premium unleaded should not improve your fuel economy under normal driving conditions.

Sounds like the fuel level float may have stuck at the level it was displaying. Could possibly have been a once off thing. I guess you will find out.

Hence my previous comment:

Edit: Also, this is just personal opinion, but the fact you use BP Ultimate doesn't exactly mean you will have better fuel economy. Everyone thinks that higher octane just equates to more power (and in turn equates to better fuel consumption) but I tend to think differently. Your octane rating is essentially the fuel's "resistance to igniting due to compression" (ie. knocking/pinging) and I believe that it doesn't really matter unless you are redlining your engine all the time. So realistically, premium unleaded should not improve your fuel economy under normal driving conditions.

Dude, you're very knowledgeable about the Aurions. You must be an automotive engineer or something.

Love your work! :clap:

It's not something I'd have expected from a Toyota though.

Something like this happened to me once in a Lada Niva. Russian piece of doo doo. Turd on wheels. Built solid as a brick though.:P . Unfortunately it was a chick repellant, rather than a magnet.dry.gif

Edited by Beep Beep

Dude, you're very knowledgeable about the Aurions. You must be an automotive engineer or something.

Love your work! :clap:

Hardly. Just too much time to spare. Need a new car to learn about now. Come on FT-86.

Oh you big bunch of princess's lol. Were paying $1.64-$1.67 litre for BP 98 ultimate!! & yes bring on FT-86 half considering put in a order at work! Thought of getting the personal plates before somebody else does or my work since they like to get all the kind of plates.

cheers dk. I thought as much.

Getting 600km at zero on the 'cruising range' and im pretty sure theres about 10-15L left in the tank.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if the 98 ron is more resistant to ignition than the 91 and this is its only beneficial characteristic, why use it over the 91?

cheers dk. I thought as much.

Getting 600km at zero on the 'cruising range' and im pretty sure theres about 10-15L left in the tank.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if the 98 ron is more resistant to ignition than the 91 and this is its only beneficial characteristic, why use it over the 91?

Well that one is quite a debatable topic. You do get a very small power gain from using premium as the engine can adjust the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. That said, I personally don't think you are going to notice this gain.

The other benefit that is commonly talked about is if you use BP Ultimate. It's not so much the octane rating that is the benefit, but rather the additives that BP add to their Ultimate that people like. As for whether this is placebo effect or not, that can be argued, but people like the extra peace of mind.

I thought it might be an opinion thing. Im gonna continue to use the 98 ron while i can afford it but im glad to know that if i have to switch to just regular premium that the difference it makes on my car will be minimal.

Thx

Heh heh.... what about AVGAS 100LL? That's got an octane rating of 126 or something.

Pretty sure that the ECU can theoretically adjust to use this fuel. The cooling system probably won't hack it though.

I wonder what performance would you get..........?

Heh heh.... what about AVGAS 100LL? That's got an octane rating of 126 or something.

Pretty sure that the ECU can theoretically adjust to use this fuel. The cooling system probably won't hack it though.

aircraft fuel? really?!

Ok something isn't right

Just filled up and only got 420KM out of 63L of Vortex 98

This is just normal everyday driving..

I'm thinking of getting this installed as per the FAQ

"Fulcrum suspension under the part name SPF2904K"

I also just measured the distance between the front wheels and the wheel arch behind it and one side is about 1/2cm further away, will this be corrected by the kit from fulcrum?

Cheers and thanks

Edited by stedyedy

I drove 879.3 highway km today (from Normanhurst, north of Sydney, to Melbourne), starting with a full tank and refuelling with 66.2L. Works out at 7.5L/100km, but the dash said 7.1, using 98RON.

Next trip I will carry some spare fuel and see if I can beat 900km ...

I did see a 6.2L/100km on the weekend, 160km after refuelling, but Sydney traffic destroyed that!

Thought I'd just chime in here, as DJ says, the main feature of say 98 octane over 91 octane is that the higher octane fuels are less prone to pre-ignition. I.e. the fuel detonating in the cylinder before its actually ignited by the spark plug.

Same deal with E85 ethanol that a lot of people run in high-power turbo applications. It doesn't necessarily make more power, but what this particular fuel does is burns cooler, thus making it again, less prone to pre-ignition, which means a tuner can tune the car to run more timing with a much less chance of pre-ignition at higher RPMs.

Problem is with a lot of older cars I'm fairly sure the ECU doesn't change the tune depending on what octane fuel its running so it must be tuned by a workshop to take advantage, especially in the case of E85 as above. I can't comment on the brains of the Aurion, maybe somebody more knowledgeable could chime in but one would assume it would recognize a higher octane fuel and change the timing accordingly, especially since it has the provision to do so on the fly using VVTI.

As for me, I'll be running 95RON. I only just got my Aurion a week ago and I'm used to a car that will only run on 98RON so it'll actually work out cheaper for me :)

Edited by Jacob12

aircraft fuel? really?!

Yup! I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I've seen it first hand. Turned an old sh|tbox 1980s Civic into a different animal altogether with OK power and acceleration. Cooked the motor after that though, but no big loss, it was a turd on wheels anyway.

I drove 879.3 highway km today (from Normanhurst, north of Sydney, to Melbourne), starting with a full tank and refuelling with 66.2L. Works out at 7.5L/100km, but the dash said 7.1, using 98RON.

Next trip I will carry some spare fuel and see if I can beat 900km ...

I did see a 6.2L/100km on the weekend, 160km after refuelling, but Sydney traffic destroyed that!

I've seen 7.0 on mine using good old 91 octane - driving from Bairnsdale to Sydney via Canberra, but similarly to above it disappeared pretty quickly once in Sydney!

The best I've ever gotten is about 8l/100km driving on essentially regional Melbourne roads. Driving in metropolitan Melbourne (so Springvale, Glen Waverley etc), it's too hard to stay under 10.5. Funnily enough though, if I try to keep my rev's below 2000 (during acceleration as well) I can get sub-10 efficiency, but it's kind of annoying. Also, I use Woolworths Caltex unleaded, not even the 95 one.