My Project...04 Written off sportivo.FINISHED!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not even a levin, The grille makes me think the front was a sedan :o

close matery.....it was a written off rear end wagon, but dont worry kids cos its getting a facelift sportivo front....(after accidently got a front cut with wrong silver paint code :(

03/04 hatchback corolla code is = 199

05-07 hatchback = 1CO

03-04 wagon = 1CO

i pretty sure sedans are 199 too?

and as for the guy who says its a cut and shut....mate go to a panel beater and ask if he can (not will) replace a chassis rail.I doing both at once to ensure "squareness" and perfect panel fit, and as my engine kind of dented the firewall i thought i may as well keep the rails welded to firewall and join it inside the arches to the bottom windscreen............

definition of "cut and shut" taken from the written off vehicle register business/trade info guide....

Cut and shut

Means a sectional repair where a vehicle has had the front and or

rear sections separated and rejoined with an undamaged section

from another vehicle of the same or similar make and model.

which is perfectly legal but massive amount of man hours so generally people do a reshell..

i

keep photos coming!!!

do you intend to add th front cut as one whole piece or add the chassis bits/crumpley bits first, then engine, wings bonnet etc, , what about the window , dash etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the project very interesting...although for $1500 bucks i would of bought a sedan and transfer everything into it and have a sportivo sedan!

Keeps us posted!

• 3 months later...
Good luck with the project very interesting...although for $1500 bucks i would of bought a sedan and transfer everything into it and have a sportivo sedan!

Keeps us posted!

RATHER HAVE SPORTIVO SEDAN????? OK GRANDAD HAHAHA...

anyway i finished the beast..did every single job myself in my irls driveway:)

OUCH!

oops.jpg

engineandstrut.jpg

THE FUN BEGINS..

1andhalfcars.jpg

slice.jpg

a1.jpg

after welding rails, firewall etc to rear section:)

2-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

DISCOVERING HATCH FRONT SPOILER IS SHORTER THAN WAGON HA HA

DSC00008.jpg

FINISHED:) AND STARTED FIRST TIME........

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

ALTHOUGH IT RAN OUT OF FUEL AND NO HAS EFI PROBLEM..HAHAHAHAHA I ALREADY SOURCED A NEW WHITE 04 PROJECT

Edited by dazbuster

Do you mind telling the final cost ;)?

sportivo wreck = $1500

+ statutory write off rear ended wagon = $1600

- sold rims off wagon for -$800,

and still have engine (50,ks) 5 speed manual gearbox,with harness and ecu, passenger front door, dash parts etc....spent heaps on tools which lat forever :) and usefull on next project.........another 1500 special...now has door and front guards on it..chasing a tailgate in perth if any around...wreckers want 770!!!!

DSC00489.jpg

Edited by dazbuster

well done daz, that's a very good job to DIY.

So the 2ZZ-GE from the sportivo is in the final product? From the intial pictures, the engine bay looked really wrecked.

Did you have to replace the clutch and exhaust manifold?

That's an awesome exercise to commit to - in a driveway. not a project for the faint-hearted or those short of time! Excellent effort mate, and thanks for sharing the pics with us. Inspiring stuff. Are you trade qualified or a (very) skilled amateur?

Hmm... that looks like a facelift front (can tell by the foglights)

I don't know if a facelift front lip would fit on there, but it would look interesting..!

its a 05 wagon front end but the 05-06 sedans and wagons use pre-facelift style panels with a shorter bumper and facelift shaped foglights...(so you're half correct:)

did you spray the silver sportivo red :) i want to do that

MATE INCREASE YOUR MEDICATION:):):):):):

hahahhaha

the red roughly painted areas were so i knew where to cut out......(trim damaged areas off the body...then keep only those areas on front cut:)

look slike such a ***** child!

haha

colour variation is a bit whack though....

i almost cried when i discovered (after waiting for a silver rear end wreck to come up for sale)..that wagons use silver 1CO paint and not the hatch silver which is 199...but dont worry its being fixed:)

how on earth did u square up the front end in your backyard? a job like this is hard to do in a work shop let alone in your garage

it was the front driveway mate:)...firstly i drilled out every spot weld on floor pan, exhaust tunnel, wheel arches to "A pillar" on both halfs...(robot spot welds are in precise EXACT places)....line up holes...went crazy with 10mm nuts and bolts:)...

then test fitted front guards (which are bolted to front and back sections), bonnet, bumper....hey presto it lines up.....remove front panels....went and bought new mig welder, open 6 pack of jim beam's and spent 2 days and nights awake welding....and after i re welded factory spot welds i seam welded every single seem too...

STRONGER THAN ORIGINAL BUT HEAVIER THAN THE TITANIC:)

not to mention illegal....

ILLEGAL??? its called a "full sectional body repair" or "car clipping" in usa...(INSURERS AUTHORISE REPAIRERS TO DO IT AND BY LAW DONT HAVE TO TELL OWNER)

dont try this at home!

I DID

Edited by dazbuster

did you spray the silver sportivo red :) i want to do that

MATE INCREASE YOUR MEDICATION:):):):):):

hahahhaha

the red roughly painted areas were so i knew where to cut out......(trim damaged areas off the body...then keep only those areas on front cut:)

He was talking about the Sportivo badges on the sideskirts, not the bodywork.

Gav.