worst part of the aurion

cranky

All i can say is that you clowns bought the wrong car...

The Aurion is great for what it is. This means, compared to other cars in it's price range and class, it is still one of the best. The base model Aurion is still quicker, more economical and cheaper than the new Flacon, and in spite of the stupid ANCAP rating the base model Aurion is actually safer than the base model Falcon. The base model falcon doesn't have side curtin airbags and in fact, only got the 5 star ANCAP rating because of all the silly alarms and seatbelt warning buzzers. Equipment that doesn't physically help to save your life in an accident.

Comparing it to a newer model Honda for $10,000 more isn't exactly fair either and if you wanted a rear wheel drive with a manual gear box you should have bought a falcon or commodore. It's like saying i wish it were a ferrari for $25,000...

The car drives and launches just fine in Auto mode anyway. Why are you manually shifting and automatic car? The manual mode on the aurion was only designed for towing and down hill driving. It's only supposed to be used to over ride the gearbox in these situations. The manual shift mode is a gear selection limiter, meaning if you put it in 4th gear it will still use gears 1 through 4 and so on. The gearbox will not hold a single gear, it will use all the gears up to the one you have selected. This is to assist in low speed driving, towing and engine braking. So if you're driving around at 60kph and want good response from your car then you put it in 4th gear - this way when you accelerate there is less kick down required.

All i hate is the massive "A" pillars. They take a bit to get used to but for the money i payed it was the best car at the time...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car drives and launches just fine in Auto mode anyway. Why are you manually shifting and automatic car? The manual mode on the aurion was only designed for towing and down hill driving. It's only supposed to be used to over ride the gearbox in these situations. The manual shift mode is a gear selection limiter, meaning if you put it in 4th gear it will still use gears 1 through 4 and so on. The gearbox will not hold a single gear, it will use all the gears up to the one you have selected. This is to assist in low speed driving, towing and engine braking. So if you're driving around at 60kph and want good response from your car then you put it in 4th gear - this way when you accelerate there is less kick down required.

IMO, it's because there's no manual transmission available from all of aurion lines including TRDs.

I accept there are lots of ppl with different taste and this is one of the different taste too.

I know aurion is a family sedan but it shouldn't necessariliy only be a method for A to B transportation since many customers like me want more than that nowadays.

Also, on the manual shifting on aurion, if I use the words from Toyota's home page, it could not only be used for towing and hill climbing but also it could make the driver having more involvement into the driving and that's the purpose of TOYOTA on that transmission.

Since aurion has 6 gears, it could make some more fun of driving than classic automatic transmission if the shifting lag wasn't that bad we're talking on this thread..

I would have already bought one if there's a manual transmission available on aurion.:(

IMO, it's because there's no manual transmission available from all of aurion lines including TRDs.

I accept there are lots of ppl with different taste and this is one of the different taste too.

I know aurion is a family sedan but it shouldn't necessariliy only be a method for A to B transportation since many customers like me want more than that nowadays.

Also, on the manual shifting on aurion, if I use the words from Toyota's home page, it could not only be used for towing and hill climbing but also it could make the driver having more involvement into the driving and that's the purpose of TOYOTA on that transmission.

Since aurion has 6 gears, it could make some more fun of driving than classic automatic transmission if the shifting lag wasn't that bad we're talking on this thread..

I would have already bought one if there's a manual transmission available on aurion.:(

All i can say is that you clowns bought the wrong car...

The Aurion is great for what it is. This means, compared to other cars in it's price range and class, it is still one of the best. The base model Aurion is still quicker, more economical and cheaper than the new Flacon, and in spite of the stupid ANCAP rating the base model Aurion is actually safer than the base model Falcon. The base model falcon doesn't have side curtin airbags and in fact, only got the 5 star ANCAP rating because of all the silly alarms and seatbelt warning buzzers. Equipment that doesn't physically help to save your life in an accident.

Comparing it to a newer model Honda for $10,000 more isn't exactly fair either and if you wanted a rear wheel drive with a manual gear box you should have bought a falcon or commodore. It's like saying i wish it were a ferrari for $25,000...

All i hate is the massive "A" pillars. They take a bit to get used to but for the money i payed it was the best car at the time...

The whole point of the thread is not to compare Aurion with any other cars... Overall, it's a good car with the reasonable price range... U get what u paid... And I say it's still worth it.. The thread is just stating the worst part in Individuals' opinion..

As for me comparing them to newer model like Euro, it actually applies to older model as well..

All these "Should come in a RWD"

So..if it came in a RWD, what are you going to do with it? track it (and you think you can go faster?)? power slides? burn outs? What? or simply w a n k boast factor - "oh, its a RWD" (try saying this in a snooty tone... :lol: )

I don't know whats with the complaints on the Auto box - I find it sweet for an Auto box..definately much better than the Alfa's.

If you really want a sweet smooth as auto box, buy a Merc (Seriously sweet autos). But I guess its all about expectations, you cannot drive an auto box like a manual and you cannot compare the two. if you want an Auto exactly like a manual, then this is the wrong ca, you should get a VW with DSG or maybe even the new lancer Evo.

Suspensions too soft? Well, its tuned as a family car - you can always upgrade to a bone chattering ride for the street.

man, with some of the expectations here, you're probably better off buying an S class mercedes or a BMW 7 series..

Edited by e240

Very good point you've got there e240. I think what this thread should be focussing on are the things that the Aurion already has, but hasn't been done correctly in our opinions. Things like a manual gearbox and RWD/AWD were not designed into the car in the first place. We can't really complain about those issues because there is no comparison.

I chose the Aurion because I obviously overlooked all these 'faults' and saw the car for what it really is. It's looks alone justify my purchase. I still can't stop looking at it sometimes. I especially like the front end when looking it from the side.

All i hate is the massive "A" pillars.

Ma, how did I forget that? That was like the first thing in this car that really annoyed me.

On a side note in relation to the sound-proofing that was discussed earlier, I had to leave my car out in the summer sun for a few hours today. Air temperature outside is around 37-38 degrees, and when I got into the car, for the first 3 minutes of driving, the outside temp displayed 43 degrees; ouch. Anyways, I just noticed, when it is really hot outside, the car drives a lot smoother and there is less road noise. I guess everything on it was all expanded and softened up.

I love Aurion. Gearbox is fine. Speakers are not. Suspension is all right. FWD probably not very good with all that power, but hey, Aurion is really fast. I don't like a-pillars. When it comes to everyday driving fuel efficiency is great. When you take it to the mountains or great ocean road, even SS drivers give way most of the time, put it in manual 3 gear mode and you'll be just fine. Very good general car with hint of performance. from my point of view its just great car for its price. Everything comes to price.

Sorry for my English, I'm from Europe, just 6 month in Australia.

Edited by avstral

Interesting Thread!

It does show that we all have issues with some part of our cars performance or build quality. This is normal no matter what the brand. I have always, with every car I have owned, gone through a honeymoon period where the car can do no wrong, then slowly little things start to irk me; a rattle here, a creak there, a performance lag over there etc etc.

I have owned my car for 10mths from new and overall I am happy with it. As has been said with the 19" wheels and dark tints (all factory fitted) my Gold Aurion SX6 is a stunning car that people walk up to me to talk about. I still love looking at it as the design is so good!

Like most of the posters here with the exception of those that obviously bought the wrong car or don't own a Aurion and are just making ill informed flip remarks, there are some things that annoy me. But I still enjoy getting into the car every day and DRIVING it and that is, and always has been the most important criteria for me.

I don't agree that the SX6 and ZR6 are "family cars" they are meant to be sporty saloons which give the driver a better experience (according to Toyota's blurb) and I think they do that. The family Aurion is surely the ATX range.

The suspension of my SX6 is harder than any other stock car I have owned and although can't be thrown around corners with the same degree of confidence as a rear wheel car it still cannot be beaten off the line and does stick in the corners if your prepared to hang it out and hang on :-)

I still love my Aurion SX6, it's my work and private car so I couldn't ask for a better office at the moment for the outlay.

There are improvements that could be done to build quality (mainly interior) but hopefully Toyota will be happy with the overall sales and tweak these in later models who knows maybe an AWD is on their minds and that would really be something to get excited about! :D

----------------

You should see the bogan's reaction when someone came up with this thread...

Whirlpool Aurion SX6 Thread...

I get "You do not have access to this Forum"

You need to be a member of the forum. Luckily I have been a member there for a while. Give me a minute. I'll see if I can mirror it.

Edit: I'm no good with this I.T technical stuff, but I here is my solution. Open it in Internet Explorer (yes I know):

Page 1

Page 2

I choose the gearbox, it should have had a sport switch to make the gear changes faster if you wanted it. If the gearbox changed faster and without the flaring sometimes it could have been a lot better.

Do you need me to spell it out? ITS FRONT WHEEL DRIVE!

This is what killed TRD, they took on HSV and FPV with a S/Ced Aurion! Seriously... if it was RWD, then many HSV and FPV fans would buy it, but a FWD performance sedan... seriously.

What TRD should have done is released a TRD All Wheel Drive Corolla... now that would be selling like hot cakes.

Oh well... Lexus... :)

For me (in no particular order):

- Lack of control over suspension mode, say between sports mode to cruising mode to comfort mode;

- Basic telemetry system;

- Inferior sound system (no iPod dock etc);

- RWD/AWD system would be better (even the crusty VRX Magna came out with it, pity the car looked more like a Sigma);

- Foot Brake system;

- Rattles in car;

- No VSC on/off switch;

- Bad sports mode;

- No eject seat for those sticky situations on rainy days;

- Price tag associated with the above mentioned problems/inferiorities;

Agree to all of above - mostly RWD/AWD - a must for this car. Also lot of rattles and needs better brakes.

All these "Should come in a RWD"

So..if it came in a RWD, what are you going to do with it? track it (and you think you can go faster?)? power slides? burn outs? What? or simply w a n k boast factor - "oh, its a RWD" (try saying this in a snooty tone... :lol: )

No its not about the w/\nk factor... are sporty Ferraris, Porsches, Mercs, BMWs, Jaguars, Aston Martins, Lambos FWD? No! They are either AWD or RWD like true sports cars should be.

post-7492-1230782249_thumb.jpg

Edited by Modena

The Aurion is great for what it is. This means, compared to other cars in it's price range and class, it is still one of the best. The base model Aurion is still quicker, more economical and cheaper than the new Flacon, and in spite of the stupid ANCAP rating the base model Aurion is actually safer than the base model Falcon.

ANCAP is not stupid

you can ignore seatbelt warnings (3 points) and pole test (2 points) if you want

just look at frontal (16 points) and side (16 pionts) collision test

ANCAP numbers show

*Aurion has better chest protection in frontal collision

*Commdore and Falcon has better chest protection in side collision

if TMCA can stop ripping us off of the knee airbag (which US Camry has), Aurion would win frontal collision outright

if they do what Holden has done with Commodore at end of 2008, (pole test and add passenger seatbelt warning) then Aurion is above Falcon and Commodore again

and thats achieveable with no structure improvement what so ever

For me (in no particular order):

- Lack of control over suspension mode, say between sports mode to cruising mode to comfort mode;

- Basic telemetry system;

- Inferior sound system (no iPod dock etc);

- RWD/AWD system would be better (even the crusty VRX Magna came out with it, pity the car looked more like a Sigma);

- Foot Brake system;

- Rattles in car;

- No VSC on/off switch;

- Bad sports mode;

- No eject seat for those sticky situations on rainy days;

- Price tag associated with the above mentioned problems/inferiorities;

Weird quoting my own reply but there is a reason, I would have forked out some more coin if some of the above mentioned points were given as options but no, you get only a few of options in regards to factory upgrades (stereo/sunroof) the rest is soley reserved for the Presara.

I would have forgone a start/stop button for something as simple as traction control on/off.

Trust me, I'd still rather my Aurion than a Fraud or Commonwhore, and I can't afford Mercedes or stuff of that ilk but it annoys me when the new c/dore has traction on/off, digital speedo for which we pay bucket loads more and get no where near what these things have as standard in their base models.

Anyone got some cheese to go with my whine? ;)

No its not about the w/\nk factor... are sporty Ferraris, Porsches, Mercs, BMWs, Jaguars, Aston Martins, Lambos FWD? No! They are either AWD or RWD like true sports cars should be.

I rest my case...W a n k factor...

Hahaha exactly!

And for all the others that have said that integral parts of the Aurion, e.g. RWD, Better Sequential Gearbox and the rest, are the "worst part" your showing ignorance because you have missed the point of this thread which surely is not about the obvious points that you could of made a decision on before buying, but those subtle hidden little things (rattle in dash as one) that you only notice after having owned a car for a while.

I overlooked the bad sound system, I shouldn't have, but I didn't bag the car overall, I went out and fixed the issue myself.

If you buy a FWD car and then later wish you had stuck with or gone to RWD that's fine, but to then bag the car you bought is ridiculous, YOU made the choice the car didn't choose you and when you do this, you just make yourselves look stupid! :rolleyes:

The Aurion is a good car. Like all cars it has it's own set of niggles that would normally be sorted out over facelift and model changes. The Aurion as an OZ built car is new, perhaps waiting for the series II may have been a better choice for some.

I like my Aurion, I may not buy one next time round that depends, but I don't rubbish the badge for my purchase decisions. If I have a problem I put pressure on my Toyota dealer to get it fixed or give me some satisfactory explanation why it should be that way, after all I have the buying power to not go back to them. In these "hard" times that has a huge impact on most reputable dealers, and Toyota also I would say considering they have just made a world-wide loss for the first time!

----------------

Edited by PaulMT

I have a Presara and for the money it's certainly a more sophisticated luxo barge than the Holden Calais or Fairmont ghia and close enough to the Lexus, Honda and Subaru. it really does everything pretty well but is a trifle bland perhaps.

The big let downs for me are the foot parking brake and the lack of fold down rear seats.

The traction control on off button would be nice but in all reality for the number of times i needed to disable it the service routine was good enough and once you have driven with it off in the wet you realise why only rwd cars have the disable switch.

Torque steer never bothered me though it is there as you would expect in a 200kw FWD of course.

The transmission manual mode is a bit of a con as it has been correctly stated earlier that it is a manual overide only and impossible to drive as a manual. I have gotton over that slight disappointment.

The ipod port well i'm too old to worry about that and it stops the kids annoying me with thier music so that's just fine with me.

The bluetooth proximity key and start button I have gotten used to now and like very much.

I would agree there as well. To the target market that the Aurion is aimed at, those drivers probably wouldn't even know the difference in driveability between FWD and RWD. When it comes down to it, the Aurion was truly built as a family car with subtle hints of 'sportiness' to help attract the market. This is excluding the TRD in which Toyota may have been aiming for the performance market, but forgot the crucial way to deliver the power.

Anyways, if you bought the Aurion expecting track like performance, I don't know what you were thinking. As said, the lack of RWD would mean stuff all to their target market. Sure there is a market out of there wanting performance out of it, but they have to think for a majority. The thing that really makes me notice what the expected target market of the Aurion is, is when you have people making comments about the car. Every so often I come across random people driving around with all types of cars, modified or not. Usually after they give you (you give them?) a run at the lights (eg. tonight I was just driving like I normally do and attracted an unchipped Golf GTI), they say things back like "she goes pretty good" of "those have quite a bit of pull" or "I wasn't expecting that", then you realise that these cars have the reputation of a family car, but are packed with a surprise. These things aren't seen as a performance car. But the satisfaction of hearing things like this, and being able to preform better than the norm are enough to make me feel good about my car.

Hey all

I'm not going to argue the point either way cos i don't really care... The idea/benefit/advantage (or however you want to put it) of Front Wheel Drive cars is that there is less drive train to run the car. IE No driveshaft, rear diff, axels, etc etc. Thus saving material (cost), weight (fuel economy & handling kinda), and generally quieter ride and increased rear passenger leg room.

Which is BETTER... FWD or RWD? Good luck with that...

I might add tho that one of the safest cars in the world (Volvo) went FWD a long time ago then AWD with their high performance models. I think from a manufacturers and some consumers perspective is that understeer is more predictable and thus controllable that oversteer. FUN factor and general handling is a whole other issue i think.

My honest opinion is in this day and age with the technology available, ALL CARS MID SIZE CARS AND UP should be AWD FULL STOP.

That's just what i think.

Very good point you've got there e240. I think what this thread should be focussing on are the things that the Aurion already has, but hasn't been done correctly in our opinions. Things like a manual gearbox and RWD/AWD were not designed into the car in the first place. We can't really complain about those issues because there is no comparison

the aurion is based on the lexus gs series which is rwd but yes no manual