worst part of the aurion

cranky

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have to say the gear shifting lag comes in at number one. Second up is the steering to the left issue that needs to be taken elsewhere to get fixed. Speaking of which though, that should be fixed in my car soon as Santa was nice enough to give me a voucher to fix it up at Fulcrum.

I choose the gearbox, it should have had a sport switch to make the gear changes faster if you wanted it. If the gearbox changed faster and without the flaring sometimes it could have been a lot better.

For me, the front seats. Far too hard and you seem to sit on them and not in them. Next would be all the low cost creaky plastic that is used in the centre console and dash area. And yes the gearbox can be very annoying as well with the way it lags between gears.

Well if you had asked this question two months ago i would probably say the rattling noises that came from the dashboard area, But that's fixed now.

And i find the Aurion pretty quiet?, The only thing i can hear while driving is the air, And the cement, And that's only when i go fast. Engine noise too i guess, But its lovely :D

Right now I'd say the worst part is probably the pulling to the left bit, But for me its a minor issue, But still sort of annoying.

Another thing is the Sequential doesn't shift as fast as you want when you're flooring it, But that's not a big issue for me really. You can make it shift when you want it if you ease off the throttle as soon as you shift, And it works, But i still can't do it fast enough. Haven't exactly tried it much either.

Limiter. :P

i think from what I read previously the current new Accord got this electronic sound proofing thing by matching the road noise frequency and playing the negative frequency to omit 90%+ of the noises...?

can anyone confirm for me?

the shizen smell thats comes out of the vent without AC on :(

speaking of aircon... does anyone get foggy windows without the aircon on when its not even that cold? on the front windscreen.

i remember this was a problem in the old 91 camry.

i think from what I read previously the current new Accord got this electronic sound proofing thing by matching the road noise frequency and playing the negative frequency to omit 90%+ of the noises...?

Don't know if it's on the new Accord, but I've heard of it being in other Jap luxury cars. Ages ago I did a '06 Accord, two layers of sound deadener on every door panel and heaps in the boot. Once you were inside, you couldn't hear power tools being operated right next to the door :)

I would say the gear shifting lag is the worst.

If I have to say the second worst part of aurion, it would be the wind noise during the driving.

I don't open the rear windows when I drive faster than 70km because I feel really bad that my ears are being deafened by the wind noise.

It's kinda hard to explain but it is not just wind noise and it makes my ears a bit wired.

The symptom is like, I am in the airplane changing the altitude suddenly which causes atmospheric pressure difference and my ears got deafened.

Maybe, it's just me.

Don't know if it's on the new Accord, but I've heard of it being in other Jap luxury cars. Ages ago I did a '06 Accord, two layers of sound deadener on every door panel and heaps in the boot. Once you were inside, you couldn't hear power tools being operated right next to the door :)

mate thats great im planning to do it with the Aurion...

once thing ive found with my Yaris... the BITUMEN PAINT if its dry will only take out the noises coming from engines going pass you... but does not some reason omit road roars... im planning to to supercheap and spray wet bitumen paint and cover it with domestic aluminium foils so i get more noise suppression for the Yaris...

I don't open the rear windows when I drive faster than 70km because I feel really bad that my ears are being deafened by the wind noise.

It's kinda hard to explain but it is not just wind noise and it makes my ears a bit wired.

The symptom is like, I am in the airplane changing the altitude suddenly which causes atmospheric pressure difference and my ears got deafened.

I hate it in cars that have this really deep bassy tone whenever you have the windows down. It's one of those ones that feels like you are metres underwater. It's not that bad on the Aurion, but then again, I drive with my front two windows down 90% of the time.

Want something fun? Don't do it for long though (eg. do it really quick), but keep all your windows up, get up to about 80km/h or higher, then put ONLY your rear windows down. Certainly something scary then. It feels like your car is going to explode from the pressure. Most likely, you will only get your windows to about 3/4 of the way down before you immediately change the direction.

As a person who works from his car, and has done for many years with many different cars, wind noise reverberation from the back windows is very common across the brands!

You will often see Reps with their rear windows cracked open 50mm and the fronts the same. This provides a very good cooling airflow without the noise.

So rear wind noise is not a problem for me in my SX6...

The gear box in my opinion is the best I have ever driven with including several HSV's I have had. The lag is typical of most sequential type uses of the auto box. It doesn't cause me any issues because like all good drivers should do, I have changed my driving method to suit the car. I use the sequential more than not and can make the gears change when I want up or down. In a drag off the line from the lights or etc, I will use first to get going or get the jump and move to second to allow the transmission to make a smooth change and so on. I use it more as a "pre-select" I guess. Now I am so used to it I can run it like a manual.

Changing down can be a bit slower, but even here I have found the optimum speeds to make the change and minimise the lag to almost zero and yes, I can get into 1st very smoothly now.

MY suggestion is practise good technique and think a bit about how your car operates. All cars are different and all require to be driven differently. Once you find the optimum way to drive your particular vehicle that's when you get real performance.

I don't find the road noise much worse than any other car I have put 245 wide tyres on and different tyres make more or less noise.

My worst Aurion feature! The standard head deck and speakers, they are crap. I could have opted for a different Toyota set but none were very good, so I replaced with Fusion 6x9 3 ways all round and a JVC head deck that gives me iPod, USB, and External input functions. This has fixed that problem, but I do wish car companies would at least make a performance sound system available as an option. The Aurion was surely targeted at the young exec's, Sales Reps and fleet markets etc or in other words people who spend a lot of time in their car - hence the requirement for good sounds!

----------------

I would have to agree the transmission is a bit of a pain with the lag... especially when you want to get moving quickly and it refuses to drop down a gear for far too long. Flaring is less of an issue, since it's more random than anything else. A proper sports sequential shift would be nice too, but keep in mind that the Aurion is a family car and isn't directly targeted at the high performance car market.

Head unit and speakers I personally don't find too bad, other than the bass being far too boomy in the front (i have it set at -3). The treble is impressive for a stock setup, as almost every other car I have driven has terrible treble (case in point - Honda!). Of all the cars, I think the Mitsubishi would probably have to have the greatest flexibility with its stock setup in the lancers, where you can opt for a brand-name quality audio setup with decent speakers. This is something that Toyota really should consider I reckon.

The car is huge to wash! It takes me about 3hours to wash and wax one..*sigh*

On the other hand, it helps save water...because of the above, I get so lazy that I put off washing the car.

Yesterday was the 3rd time since I got the car in March... :-p

the shizen smell thats comes out of the vent without AC on :(

speaking of aircon... does anyone get foggy windows without the aircon on when its not even that cold? on the front windscreen.

i remember this was a problem in the old 91 camry.

yes that happens to me to!

its definitely not the tranmission lag, since Aurion is an overpowered family car

no idea why one would say its noisy in its class

definitely the sound system for me

I find our 02 Camry Touring better

does anyone know if Presara gets better insulation or sound system?

For me (in no particular order):

- Lack of control over suspension mode, say between sports mode to cruising mode to comfort mode;

- Basic telemetry system;

- Inferior sound system (no iPod dock etc);

- RWD/AWD system would be better (even the crusty VRX Magna came out with it, pity the car looked more like a Sigma);

- Foot Brake system;

- Rattles in car;

- No VSC on/off switch;

- Bad sports mode;

- No eject seat for those sticky situations on rainy days;

- Price tag associated with the above mentioned problems/inferiorities;