Matt's Aurion (sorry... no creative alias)

Matt.

I must say, after today I was tempted to try a DIY repair... I resprayed my grille a nice matte black. The very first time I washed my car with that grille on, the paint chipped in one corner and I've been meaning to respray it ever since. I finally took it off today and sanded it back, then resprayed it. It came up a treat!! I'm quite impressed with how well it worked. A grille is one thing though, I don't know if I'm game to attempt spraying my car...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say, after today I was tempted to try a DIY repair... I resprayed my grille a nice matte black. The very first time I washed my car with that grille on, the paint chipped in one corner and I've been meaning to respray it ever since. I finally took it off today and sanded it back, then resprayed it. It came up a treat!! I'm quite impressed with how well it worked. A grille is one thing though, I don't know if I'm game to attempt spraying my car...

As I mentioned, the difference here is that you are spraying part of a piece that is already painted. Just giving you the heads up that if you haven't done painting like this before, it won't exactly be a walk in the park like spraying an entire piece with the same paint. It's getting it to blend in which is the hard part.

Now I'm no professional at this, but from what I've seen, painting any part of a larger painted surface requires a bit of effort to blend it in. An example of what I'm talking about can be seen in the following video. You can see the size of the repaired area, and the area around it that required respraying.

Good luck though. I guess you will learn from trying it out. If worst comes to worst, you can just pay someone to do it if it doesn't work out.

• 1 month later...

do it

i re-sprayed my grill too(after DIY disaster) black, just to make it decent till i can get the thai mesh grill

i did it this way

1. sand

2. 2 coats primer

3. paint

4. clear-coat

helps the paint from chipping & flaking off lol

Saw this and can't decide if I like it. It's a rear logo that would be wired to glow white when the headlights are on, then red when you put your foot on the brake.

toyota-2light-r-w-s.gif

Edited by mattmcd1

Saw this and can't decide if I like it. It's a rear logo that would be wired to glow white when the headlights are on, then red when you put your foot on the brake.

toyota-2light-r-w-s.gif

OMG! That is awesome. I want one.

I would probably only wire the red to the brakes and pending if I could be bothered I would have a switch for the white in the dash.

• 6 months later...

^ I have a pair of those above in my parkers. Hope you bought a spare set. One side of mine has blown. I don't think it's the LED itself that is the cause for the wear. It's something to do with the supply on the Aurion.

I bought 6 of them. I also bought a few other types to try out, but these were the first to arrive. I'll do a bit of a photo summary when everything arrives. I've gotten much better at changing them now. First one took about half an hour with a fair bit of abuse being thrown around, other side of the car took about 2 minutes.

Edited by Matt.