Stivo: Alarm

darkeh

ok so with all this talk about stivos getting stolen :angry: just wondering what people are doing for security.

anybody got the toyota alarm upgrade ? how would u rate it ? how much did toyota charge you ?

otherwise anybody else got any brands they recommend or installed in their cars ?

theres a big groupbuy of viper pager alarms on nissansilvia.com

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...r%20alarm&st=30

otherwise maybe we can arrange a group install of some alarms like brant and get a decent discount ? :)

Im looking at an alarm too...

gona be speakin to toyota next week to see how much the alarm upgrade is going to cost.. if any1's done this already let us kno the damage on the wallet!

while i was at westerntoyota they said $395, seems a bit steep to me :(

considering buying the $450 viper alarm would be good having the pager cause i'm usually not that far from my car so the pager would be in range, but that means having a extra remote and **** :(

i booked mine for an alarm upgrade next week together with my 20,000kms service. i'm getting it done for $330, including fitting which is the best price i could fine. another dealer charged me $600! :angry::angry::angry:

i don't like the hassle of having an extra remote... i have enough keys and toys on my keyring as it is :lol::lol::lol:

it doesn't say much about the alarm upgrade on the toyota site besides "Features include battery back up siren, shock sensor and cabin protection"

i would recommend calling around all the dealers, as their prices will vary. You could pick up the toyota alarm for $190. anymore than that, start bargaining! :D :D :D

dealer was going to charge me $600 for a toyota alarm upgrade????

Have a look around at which ararms you can get that intergrate into your existing remote locking. they all should atleast add one or 2 more engine immolbilisers to the car and some insurance companies also give you discount if you go for certain brands.

Of course do your shopping and get what you feel is best.

but something is better than nothing ;)

dealer was going to charge me $600 for a toyota alarm upgrade????

yes!! $600!!! unbelieavable. that's why when i rang the dealer after, i kept asking him to make sure if he got me the right price. he's like "FOR THE 100TH TIME!!!!... yes that's right" :lol::lol::lol:

but something is better than nothing ;)

i totally agree...

I was actually warned against the Toyota alarm... I have a MotorOne alarm fitted and wired into my key (fitted at delivery for $600). The Toyota alarm is also quite a large bulky unit (some people had to move it to put tower strut braces in) and I've had many comments by other members about how nice and neat my little alarm box is adn have measured against both the TRD and Whiteline strut braces and know I don't have to touch it to fit one...

PS this is not an commercial, people are free to choose any brand of alarm they wish, I'm just warning them against the 'Toyota Genuine' one...

$400 will buy you a good Rotti to leave on the passenger seat...

Not too many car-theiving-wanca's will try and flog your car then, hey :ph34r:

I do have the toyota alarm upgrade in my stivo, there are better alarms out there but I had the alarm thrown in at the time of purchase for no charge so I wasnt complaining. :D

It is fitted into the original remote which is one benefit, as having an extra one for the alarm would ***** me off...

Dont know about shock sensor or cabin protection though it looks pretty basic to me.

I did also have to have a technician come out an have a look at it because apparently they are a bit complex to install in the stivo...

Jason

I too have heard the Toyota alarm upgrade isnt anything special and dosent come with anything as a stand out attraction except for the siren.

I would want at least another cut out or immobiliser.

But I guess if someone wants to steal your pride and joy they will.....

:unsure:

HeY GuYs!

Currently on my RoLLa, I got an aftermaket alarm sytem that uses the existing remote. The alarm is Mongoose. Model is MAP1100S. It cost about $400 I think. I got it at the time when i brought my RoLLa. The Toyota dealer actually recommended it over their geniune one. It is a pretty good alarm system.

Here is some info on it:

Many new vehicles today have factory remote controlled central locking and the last thing you want is another remote on the keyring. The MAP1100S is controlled from your cars' existing factory remote control. the MAP100S upgrades the vehicle's central locking to a full security system. The MAP1100S is very comprehensive and is equipped with an automatic engine immobiliser, full alarm functions, 2 stage impact sensor, black wiring, battery back-up siren, safety ignition door locking, automatic re-arm and automatic re-lock to name but a few. If your vehicle already has remote controlled central lockign,then install a MAP1100S - it was specifically designed for your vehicle.

Or u can check out the website.

Mongoose Alarms

It doesn't matter what alarm you get if it has a poor install the car is still easy to steal.

ie, if you can see any of the alarm wiring after ripping all the lower dash acrylics off, the install isn't good enough.

To do it properly involves removing the dash etc, then removing the dash and body looms from the front of the car, unlooming those, integrating the alarm loom into the factory loom with the control module in a totally inaccessible spot (read: have to remove dash pad to get at it...), then re-loom the factory loom with integrated alarm loom and re-assemble the interior.

It takes a good few days to do it properly.

The same-day alarm installs are good for rice factor only. The siren in the engine bay is also a bad idea because it's so simple to pop the bonnet and smash the siren with a mini sledge.

The external siren should be mounted up inside a guard cavity where you cant get to it without removing the wheel, guard liner etc, a good installer will also remote-mount the siren keyswitch somewhere else so you can access it when required.

The dealer-installed Brant system in my old WRX was done so poorly I took photo's of it and sent a letter to subaru with the pics, it was an abortion to say the least.

yeh my last car had a brant alarm and i was very disapointed with it, they mounted the control module straight under the steering coulmn and u could even see it just under the gap if u raised the wheel right up.

it was so poor i was going to relocate it myself but ended up getting a stivo so it doesn't matter anymore :)

also ad the fact that i had so many issues with that alarm i'm not going there again :)

i'm tossing up between the pager viper alarm and that upgrade one from mongoose, its either have pager and stuff so i know exactly when something happens or have the alarm that will work with the current key.

cheers for all the input guys,

Andrew

dunno about u guys but mine is i think the upgrade =P dunno coze my levin is from the auctions but yea, from wat i can see it works like a charm as for its location..... i dunno.... i tried tracking it down just a moment ago and its wired back into the cabin somewhere. :ph34r: interestin..... but yea.. its all good and i love it :lol: its a stinger by the way. i think its also got the starter kill, hmm...... im gonna go test it out now that this post has come about =P

by the way i think this alarm came with something called a stinger V.I.P investment protection thingy majigy it also states crystal glaze paint protection or something any1 else have this? interesting i never knew this my cars got fabric protection, and vinyl protection im now completely suprised from a car thats come from an auction :lol: and iv had it for 4 months LOL

dunno about u guys but mine is i think the upgrade =P dunno coze my levin is from the auctions but yea, from wat i can see it works like a charm as for its location..... i dunno.... i tried tracking it down just a moment ago and its wired back into the cabin somewhere.  :ph34r: interestin..... but yea.. its all good and i love it  :lol: its a stinger by the way. i think its also got the starter kill, hmm...... im gonna go test it out now that this post has come about =P

by the way i think this alarm came with something called a stinger V.I.P investment protection thingy majigy it also states crystal glaze paint protection or something any1 else have this? interesting i never knew this my cars got fabric protection, and vinyl protection im now completely suprised from a car thats come from an auction  :lol:  and iv had it for 4 months LOL

maybe because of all those expensive extra options, that the previous owner couldn't afford to pay them off, therefore the car got repo'd. :P :P :P

• 4 months later...
I was actually warned against the Toyota alarm... I have a MotorOne alarm fitted and wired into my key (fitted at delivery for $600). The Toyota alarm is also quite a large bulky unit (some people had to move it to put tower strut braces in) and I've had many comments by other members about how nice and neat my little alarm box is adn have measured against both the TRD and Whiteline strut braces and know I don't have to touch it to fit one...

PS this is not an commercial, people are free to choose any brand of alarm they wish, I'm just warning them against the 'Toyota Genuine' one...

do you have a website for this motorone alarm?

i did a google and couldnt find anything

or mabey a store i could get them from?

thanks

Speaking from experience i had my first 05 sportivo for 9 hours, before someone stole it:( The toyota alarm upgrade is rubbish, its basically an extra led. As for the immobiliser it can be removed from behind the glove box. Since then i have installed an 'autowatch' alarm with a 3 point immobiliser and pager totaling $1000(just the alarm was $400). If your in Sydney i can recommend you with an installer just pm me.

Edited by ar44

But I guess if someone wants to steal your pride and joy they will.....

:unsure:

True that!...Thats why we all pay full comp insurance :rolleyes: (well...i assume everyone is)

Edited by GTiR88