New Corolla - Released

Yes I have it on authority we will have a TRD corolla by the end of this year and the production model is to be a FWD 2 litre turbocharged item with approx 200kw.....

I was chatting with a head honcho at the dealer roadshow today and he says its in the testing phase with neil bates as we speak.

Will load some pics tonight

:lol:

your "Head Honcho" needs to pull his head out of his a$$.

The Bates TTR Rally team DID NOT win the contract for the TRD models in Australia. Why would they be testing them, they have much better, more important things to do.

I bet my sportivo that the car they are testing is there S2000 Rally car which is a 2 litre beams engine.

ahaha that was funny. sorry guys

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sedan .... bad taillights...

The hatch .... weird front....

But on the other hand, maybe i can convince dad to sell the rolla and pay some extra $ to get the ZR levin :lol:

so many features.....i was like WTF with bluetooth...HID....kneebags...IPOD???

its also nice to see they brought the power back up from 93kW to 100.

the post that said 200kW FWD.. do you know what will happen when you work the front wheels with that power :idea::idea:

the inclusion of 17" wheel options is nice..

Why do european designed cars look so funny...

My family recently had our 1986 Toyota Corona rear ended and finally written off (thank goodness, it was around for about 12 years and I was getting sick of it, stupid Toyota reliability)

Anyway, we're looking at some new cars now and this is on our shortlist.

Mazda 3 Neo sedan

Toyota Corolla Ascent sedan

Toyota Yaris YRS sedan

We've test driven the 3 and liked it, now we'll be hopefully going to a Toyota dealer this Saturday to test both the Corolla and the Yaris.

I hope we get the new Corolla...

Just had a look on the Toyota website it appears that there is no sports suspension (or even sports springs option :o ). Has anyone heard/read anything different?

hmm, now i really can't decide what to buy, i wouldn't mind the new rolla's, but if i were to get one, i would probably buy the levin ZR, and thats close to 30k, without sunroof still, and there are alot more cars in that price range, nicer and faster...

but the but 100kw vs an 2005 stivo 141kw, hmm, lolz

Hey guys i just saw the new corolla!!!

Took my car in for a service and they were there! They arrived yesterday!

AND............

I drove it! :D :D :D

I drove the top of the line hatch with is the Levin ZR Very smooth and im impressed!

6 speed and guess what!!! They back to 100kws! lol

Something standard on the levins is

HID & auto headlamps

Rain-sensing windscreen wipers

Castlehill Toyota if anyone wants to have a look.

We will be adding one of these for my younger sister so it wont be stock for long

Does that mean the Ascent is going?

Not mini-shadow...no...no no no...

no mate, i have 2 sisters, youngest will be getting the new one and it will be black of course :yahoo:

nice :lol:

Toyota’s Gen X Corolla

breaks the $20,000 base

mark for the first time

TOYOTA has priced its completely redesigned Corolla from $20,990, positioning it against premium small cars such as the Holden Astra, Ford Focus and Mazda3. However, while this represents a $1000 increase over the outgoing model, the latest Corolla – now longer, wider and taller than ever – packs in more features, space and performance. Now in its 10th generation, Toyota’s venerable small car finally matches every opponent (except the current Focus) in offering ABS brakes on every model. The system includes electronic brake-force distribution and brake assist. A safety pack featuring front side and curtain

airbags and a class-first driver’s knee airbag is a $750 option on the Ascent and Levin SX, and standard on all other models. However, no stability control is available for now. In Europe, where it is known as the Auris, the Corolla (with safety pack) has scored a five-star NCAP crash-test rating. Other new-to-Corolla features include reach adjustment on the steering wheel, electric power steering, an MP30-compatible CD/radio audio system and a revised U341 four-speed automatic gearbox with driver-adaptive shift points. On manual cars, six forward speeds replace five, which was the standard gearbox in the Corolla since the four-speed manual models vanished in 1989. Dubbed C66, this six-speed manual gearbox is paired to a smoother, quieter and more durable clutch. The Corolla also regains the 100kW power rating it held for four years from December 2001,

but lost when the old model’s 1794cc ZZE122R 1.8-litre twin-cam four-cylinder engine dropped to 93kW and 161Nm (the latter from 171Nm) in late 2005 to meet the 2006 Euro III-equivalent ADR 79/01 emissions requirements.

Today’s engine is an all-new 1798cc 2ZR-FE 1.8-litre twin-cam four-cylinder unit compliant with the Euro IV emissions standard and delivering 100kW at 6000rpm and 174Nm at 4400rpm. It runs on 91 RON normal unleaded

fuel.

As before, Toyota’s VVT-i variable valve timing technology is utilised to plump out both low- and high-rev

performance, but this time it features a segment-first infinite adjustment on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts,

rather than on just the former. The result helps the Corolla manual hatch to hit the 100km/h mark from

standstill in 9.7 seconds (11.0 sec for the auto/11.1 sec for the auto sedan), on its way to a 200km/h top speed (auto:

190km/h). Interestingly, while the manual sedan is 5km/h slower than the hatch, the auto sedan is 2km/h faster.

Compared to before, Toyota says the latest Corolla’s carbon emissions fall to 174g/km (auto: 180g/km), while the average combined fuel consumption eases in the sedan (by 0.1L/100km to 7.3L/100km and 7.4L/100km respectively

in the manual and auto), remains steady in the manual hatch (7.4L/100km), and increases in the auto hatch (from 7.5L to 7.7L/100km).

One reason for the fuel-use disparity between bodystyles is that the hatch is heavier by around 10kg, coming in between 1275kg and 1330kg against the sedan’s 1255kg to 1320kg range. It is worth noting that Toyota more-or-less maintained the previous Corolla’s fuel economy fi gures despite weight increases in excess of 200kg.

There is no word on whether any future Corollas will receive a Ford Focus-style independent multi-link rear suspension set-up

that racier versions of the Auris/Corolla cars have in some markets. Instead, Corolla Version 10.0 continues

with a variation of the old car’s MacPherson strut front and torsion beam and trailing arm rear suspension set-up, which brings cost and space-saving benefits. Among the changes are new dampers, redesigned coil springs and a revised front

anti-roll bar, to improve steering, handling and ride quality. Toyota has deemed the rear

suspension design strong enough not to require a rear anti-roll bar. Also aiding dynamics are a more rigid body,

brought about through the use of high-strength steels (particularly in the roof and A-pillar areas), a fl at rear fl oor and extra body bracing.

This in turn makes the Corolla safer in an accident, and more durable and refi ned. Helping out the latter are improved aerodynamics – 0.29Cd for the hatch and 0.30Cd for the sedan – and more extensive use of sound deadening.

Sitting on the same 2600mm wheelbase, the front and rear tracks grow from 1480mm and 1460mm respectively to 1525mm (Ascent: 1535mm) at each end for the hatchbacks, and 1525mm (Ascent 1535mm) and 1520mm front

and rear respectively for the sedans. In the hatchback models, length/width/ height are 4220/1760/1515mm,

representing increases of 45/65/45mm respectively, while the sedan’s of 4540/1760/1475mm make it

150/65/5mm longer, wider and taller than the outgoing version. Hatchback luggage space is rated at 283 litres. The sedan’s

boot space of 450 litres puts it within 10 per cent of a VE Commodore’s (with the added benefi t of a

split/fold rear seatback), the fuel tank holds 55 litres and the Corolla’s braked towing capacity is 1300kg.

Bolt-on front and rear panels reportedly make crash repairs easier and cheaper, while Toyota has worked hard to make the nose more pedestrian impact friendly and the overall vehicle more recyclable. Real-world fuel consumption

savings is the upshot of Corolla going for electric (rather than hydraulic) for its powered rack and pinion steering system,

according to Toyota, since it only consumes energy when assistance is needed, whereas hydraulics add to the engine

load, weight, and complexity. Employing electricity also allows Toyota to better tailor steering weight and feel as per

each market’s requirements. Brakes are 275mm (up 20mm) x 22mm ventilated front discs and 259mm (down

10mm) x 9mm rear discs. Both employ single piston sliding callipers. With the demise of the wagon, only the

hatchback and Japanese-designed four-door sedan remain. All Australian-bound Corollas are built in Japan.

Toyota is offering a fi xed servicing plan of $120 for six services over three years or 60,000km. Last year was the Corolla’s second-best year on record, with 46,256 units sold. Toyota expects the sedan’s sales to rise from almost

40 per cent in the outgoing Corolla to almost parity with the hatchback, now that the wagon

has gone.

For drive impressions, go to

www.goauto.com.au from this Friday.