The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

• 3 weeks later...
lol dont flame me for this one but.............

what does the term prefacelift and facelift mean?

:help:

Here are there lower models differentiate the two front ends.

Pre-facelift:

b50corfp.jpg

Face lift:

19_920454_f34.jpg

Here ya go :D

I'm not really mechanically minded, but I generally know that either a larger displacement, an increase in cylinders, or a combination of both will increase torque.

My main question is then, what determines the point at which that maximum torque is produced. In other words, how come the 3.5L V6 in the Aurion produces maximum torque of 336Nm @ 4700rpm whereas for example the Holden 3.6L V6 produces maximum torque of 340Nm @ 2600rpm? Surely the extra 0.1L on the Holden V6 can't drasticallly affect the torque/RPM relationship by much right. That's a difference of 2100rpm for when maximum torque is produced.

Yeah, I know being a FWD that the extra torque low down wouldn't be of much use, but I'm just curious.

I'm not really mechanically minded, but I generally know that either a larger displacement, an increase in cylinders, or a combination of both will increase torque.

My main question is then, what determines the point at which that maximum torque is produced. In other words, how come the 3.5L V6 in the Aurion produces maximum torque of 336Nm @ 4700rpm whereas for example the Holden 3.6L V6 produces maximum torque of 340Nm @ 2600rpm? Surely the extra 0.1L on the Holden V6 can't drasticallly affect the torque/RPM relationship by much right. That's a difference of 2100rpm for when maximum torque is produced.

Yeah, I know being a FWD that the extra torque low down wouldn't be of much use, but I'm just curious.

I cant answer your question but all to do with way the tune the aurions and commodores/fords. Seeing our engine is matched with a close ratio 6sp, when your giving it a bit the revs wont really drop below 4500 mark therefor they are trying to produce alot of the power up in the revs. where a commodore or a ford has a 4 sp auto (gayyyyyyy) and max out 1st get at 95km/h or somthin stupid if they had there peak torque at 4700 it wout take them 20 seconds to max out 1st lol therefor they tune them to have alot more torque down low which gives them a nice broad powerband. If our car was manual i think they would have rethought where the peak torque is, but matches with our cose ratio box i think they made in the perfect spot. and like u said we would have wheelspin like no tomorw if that was the case.

thats my take on it anyway man lol

I cant answer your question but all to do with way the tune the aurions and commodores/fords. Seeing our engine is matched with a close ratio 6sp, when your giving it a bit the revs wont really drop below 4500 mark therefor they are trying to produce alot of the power up in the revs. where a commodore or a ford has a 4 sp auto (gayyyyyyy) and max out 1st get at 95km/h or somthin stupid if they had there peak torque at 4700 it wout take them 20 seconds to max out 1st lol therefor they tune them to have alot more torque down low which gives them a nice broad powerband. If our car was manual i think they would have rethought where the peak torque is, but matches with our cose ratio box i think they made in the perfect spot. and like u said we would have wheelspin like no tomorw if that was the case.

thats my take on it anyway man lol

actually, torque is to do with the stroke of an engine. in laymans terms, its the distance that the piston travels up or down

bore is the diameter across the cylinder,

ideally, an engine with equal bore and stroke would produce a nice engine with relatively balanced power and torque

an engine with a wide bore compared to its stroke would be rev-happy, high power, and produce relatively lower torque

a long stroke engine would make a heap of torque compared to power, at low rpm

the rpm dictates where the torque and power cross over, as max torque is produced down low, max power up high

its to do with the amount of time that the piston has to travel the stroke that gives most torque

this means, the holden probably has a longer stroke compared to its bore, making it produce more torque down lower

ill find the specs later.

the gearing doesnt have an effect in that situation, as manufacturers' values are taken at the flywheel.

hope i made it easy to understand! =D

Edited by cuppas

that post had explanation, now heres the specs, according to a wikipedia search, lol

holden 3.6L LY7 engine

3564cc

bore: 94.0mm

stroke: 85.6mm

(GM cadillac specs)

190kW@6200

342Nm@3100

holden specs had 195kW/340Nm but no RPM...

toyota 3.5L 2GR-FE

3456cc

bore: 94.0mm

stroke: 83.0mm

200kW@6200

336Nm@4700

equal stroke shows similar kW readings, the longer stroke of the holden gives higher torque values...

• 3 weeks later...

you guys know torque ok yes it is in derect relationship to engine capacity but these day with variable valve timing induction lengths and even compresion all play there parts also which is why gm acheive max torque at lower rpm compresion actually plays a major part this is why forced induced engine make so much for the actual engine size

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys here goes my stupid question

Rang up a few exhaust places to do headers/extractors on my sportivo.

Ok, im a little confused. livo exhaust has got headers.....which i understand are know also as extractors right? Anyhow I rang westside mufflers in padstow and the guy says theres 2 options, porting the manifold with the stock parts or gettin the celica part, slightly modifying them and putting them on........please explain cause im a little confused.

-Extractors are the same as headers, just with a different name, yes?

-Is porting the manifold the same thing as porting the heads?

-And is porting the heads a seperate car peice to headers/extractors or is it the same thing?

Cause at the moment i have 2.5inch cat back, and wanna get the front part of my exhaust setup done and its all very confusing to me.

-And from what i briefly read, its better to get the stock corolla sportivo headers/extractors/manifold ported than celica parts right?

Sorry guys to sound like an idiot, but im sure i posted in the right section

...you guys aren't really into the technical are you

LOL. Sorry 'bout the late thank you; but yeah, thanks for the answer. Makes complete sense though. I never thought of it in the sense of how the volume of the cylinder can remain the same but with different widths/heights. I guess I didn't think quite outside the box. You can guess who failed maths.

Prob bit late to answer this but ill do it anyway since BONDEE is in Perth.

Easy Way is a drink store that sells "bubble tea" in particular. its located in North Bridge next to Gelare on James St.

WTH is "EASY WAY"?

why thank you darling! i guess the next question is WTF is "bubble tea"

Bubble tea in general is just basically flavoured iced tea. In most cases though, you will usually get a 'topping' with it and this is then the general reference to bubble tea. There is a large variety of flavours you can get and for some people, it is quite addictive. There are also a large range of toppings you can get, for example 'pearls', which are balls of tapioca that are about 1cm in diameter, or jelly. This diagram here shows the general composition of a bubble tea:

howtomakedrink850x600yy0.th.jpg

Prob bit late to answer this but ill do it anyway since BONDEE is in Perth.

Easy Way is a drink store that sells "bubble tea" in particular. its located in North Bridge next to Gelare on James St.

WTH is "EASY WAY"?

BONDEE you are MISSING OUT BIG TIME!!! next time we go on a cruise.. we ARE getting BUBBLETEA!!!

pretty much

-And is porting the heads a separate car piece to headers/extractors or is it the same thing?

nah different. head porting is to do with making smoother airflow in and out of the cylinders

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/techni...eadporting.html for a nice before and after

porting the manifold would be similar, creating a smoother inner surface and better flow

Cause at the moment i have 2.5inch cat back, and wanna get the front part of my exhaust setup done and its all very confusing to me.

-And from what i briefly read, its better to get the stock corolla sportivo headers/extractors/manifold ported than celica parts right?

depends what engine it is and how easily it fits. some people like to frankenstein parts on

talk to a good exhaust shop though, theyll explain it better than i can =D

pretty much

-And is porting the heads a separate car piece to headers/extractors or is it the same thing?

nah different. head porting is to do with making smoother airflow in and out of the cylinders

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/techni...eadporting.html for a nice before and after

porting the manifold would be similar, creating a smoother inner surface and better flow

depends what engine it is and how easily it fits. some people like to frankenstein parts on

Extractors and Headers do the same thing yes... they Bolt onto the "head" of the engine and aid in the removal of exhaust gasses from the engine after ignition.

Porting headers is NOT the same as Porting the Head. The head is the top half of the engine where the air and fuel is delivered to the combustion chamber though the engine Valve train. The Valve train consists of the , Valves, Camshafts, Fuel Rail and inlet and exhaust ports to allow the mixing of Air/Fuel. When you are talkign about Porting the Head of an angine, it refers to the opening up of the Inlet and exhaust Ports to allow more Air/Exhaust gasses to flow through it. Also you can smooth out "hotspots" that can cause pre detonation in the combustion chamber bu removing any casting defects.

Porting the Headers is again, to help increase the Flow of the exhaust system, care needs to be taken here to ensure you do not reduce the exhaust scavenging properties.

there are 2 types of 2zzge Headers in Australia, and they are those made to suit engine PRE March 2003 and thos Post March 2003. All the engines made POST March 2003, have a cylinder head which has been modified to allow the introduction of an emissions control system for the european and northern american markets, called "Air Injection". In Australia, we dont have the same emissions control, so the facilities to use this emissions control are simply removed, and the exhaust system is modified to suit. There are 4 smaller Ports above the exhausts ports (which link to the headers) that are blocked off as they arent in use in Australia.

In Short.. if your engine is PRE 2003, you can use headers from either model of 2zzge, Pre or Post Mar 2003. If you own an engine which was made POST 2003, you can only use headers from ann engine that has the ability to have Air Injection fitted to it.... POST March 2003.

2zzge Corollas and 2zzge Celicas do run ALOT of similar engine parts... the headers are the same... but be wary of the build date of your engine.

I have just been through the whole Porting Headers, and custome exhaust setup myself... so if you need any help... shoot me a PM.

pretty much

Extractors and Headers do the same thing yes... they Bolt onto the "head" of the engine and aid in the removal of exhaust gasses from the engine after ignition.

Porting headers is NOT the same as Porting the Head. The head is the top half of the engine where the air and fuel is delivered to the combustion chamber though the engine Valve train. The Valve train consists of the , Valves, Camshafts, Fuel Rail and inlet and exhaust ports to allow the mixing of Air/Fuel. When you are talkign about Porting the Head of an angine, it refers to the opening up of the Inlet and exhaust Ports to allow more Air/Exhaust gasses to flow through it. Also you can smooth out "hotspots" that can cause pre detonation in the combustion chamber bu removing any casting defects.

Porting the Headers is again, to help increase the Flow of the exhaust system, care needs to be taken here to ensure you do not reduce the exhaust scavenging properties.

there are 2 types of 2zzge Headers in Australia, and they are those made to suit engine PRE March 2003 and thos Post March 2003. All the engines made POST March 2003, have a cylinder head which has been modified to allow the introduction of an emissions control system for the european and northern american markets, called "Air Injection". In Australia, we dont have the same emissions control, so the facilities to use this emissions control are simply removed, and the exhaust system is modified to suit. There are 4 smaller Ports above the exhausts ports (which link to the headers) that are blocked off as they arent in use in Australia.

In Short.. if your engine is PRE 2003, you can use headers from either model of 2zzge, Pre or Post Mar 2003. If you own an engine which was made POST 2003, you can only use headers from ann engine that has the ability to have Air Injection fitted to it.... POST March 2003.

2zzge Corollas and 2zzge Celicas do run ALOT of similar engine parts... the headers are the same... but be wary of the build date of your engine.

I have just been through the whole Porting Headers, and custome exhaust setup myself... so if you need any help... shoot me a PM.

brilliant piece of writing their....good work mate......and to think it only took about 10 convos around that topic for me to initially understand the header variations from the different dates lol

i agree with jaderd...nice write up BKS!

i have TRD CAI and full exhaust 2.25 including headers....what do i need to do to get more torque at low revs? :-l

engine management and a good tune...

or a turbo + the above.

or... you could get some better engine mounts... they dont give you MORE torque, but they help deliver the available torque to the wheels.