Anyone else have this problem?

For the last two services, I have complained to Toyota of the build up of crusty pink coolant residue all the way around the radiator tank - the one at the top of the radiator with the clear back to check fluid level. Over 6 months the level went down in this tank by about 3-4 cm.

They came back yesterday to say that Toyota's recommendation is to clean off the "corrosion", and that even if they replaced it under warranty that it would probably just leak again.

So my question is, how many others have this problem? Why are we losing coolant for no good reason and has anyone been able to get Toyota to fix it?

Yeah I had this same problem solved at 6 month/10K km service. the seal in the coolant lid was faulty and all that was required was a new lid and no problems since. They also topped up the coolant for free as it was a warranty issue!!! :)

If you are out that way, go see Cornes Toyota on Unley Road!!!

I miss those guys over here...

Like I said, take it to the guys at Cornes Toyota (it's only 5 minutes drive from Adelaide CBD)... They actually fixed the issue without me commenting on it... I knew it was happening but chose to ignore it as, like craig said, not too much coolant is actually lost and I'd seen it before in previous cars. But when I picked up the car the service manager said to me, we found a bit of coolant on the reserviour so looked at the cap and changed to one with with a better seal for you, and I was like, SWEET... I was going to ask about it, but seeing as they picked it up for me, no probs...

I can't understand how you guys see this stuff I can't remember the last time I opened the bonnet . Are you supposed to ?

How do you check your oil and other vital fluids without lifting the bonnet? :blink:

Seriously, though, even though we're driving relatively new cars, its still important to check these things (oh, and tyre pressures, also) because you never know when you might detect something that needs urgent attention.

Also, I agree with what was said earlier, if I notice any leak at all, minor or otherwise, its down to the dealer for a fix. I guess you can call me pedantic, just don't call me late for dinner! :lol:

I too have the leakage, and when I asked my mate who works at toyota about it he said it is the same for every one he has seen.....

I think you may find that a higher pressure radiator cap such as the TRD 1.3 bar one may fix this problem as Shao has had his on since he purchased his car and suprise suprise no sign of leakage at all....

Do any of the other guys with the TRD caps have this problem???

Edited by MAP81

• 6 years later...

digging up from the dead guys. mines leaking from a different spot...

leakingradiator.jpg

it's not a BIG leak but its enough to pi$$ me off. and i found after taking the bumper off its leaking where the tap is, (u can see it in the above picture on the side.) is it common for these taps to leak? can i get a new one from toyota? i know its leaking there because i stuck my finger in the hole where the fluid drains and i feel its very wet in there. i made sure i tightened it up tight but it is still leaking :(

2011-10-17171947.jpg

also does this rubber grommet serve any other purpose but hold the radiator in place so it doesn't rub against the chassis? i felt its a bit loose when i pushed inside to feel the fluid.

thanks guys

dry as a bone. only issue i had was a w/pump last year, red crust building up under the pulley, replaced it, changed coolant, fine ever since, no issues with radiator, over flow bottle, hoses, thermostat, pump, heater core *taps woood* *breaks wood* *keeps wood in his pocked* darn car !

replace the o-ring on the drain plug, shouldn't leak after that.

There's meant to be a little movement in the radiator mounts.

champion! i'll do that tomorrow, hopefully toyota have some in stock :)

also i heard from someone that toyota long life coolant (red) isn't too friendly on rubber... he said that ford used to use red coolant until it did the same thing and they changed to the green coolant. he said the dye is the culprit. how accurate is this i wonder?

also i heard from someone that toyota long life coolant (red) isn't too friendly on rubber... he said that ford used to use red coolant until it did the same thing and they changed to the green coolant. he said the dye is the culprit. how accurate is this i wonder?

Dunnoe, im on red coolant, (changed at 150,xxxx kms) now at 229,xxx no rubber issues so far... nor no leaks either ( even after that tow bar incident <_< )

full of s**t. The toyota red coolant is awesome. Remember when you remove that plug it will basically drain your whole radiator, so be prepared for that and you'll also have to refill and burp the system afterwoods.

full of s**t. The toyota red coolant is awesome. Remember when you remove that plug it will basically drain your whole radiator, so be prepared for that and you'll also have to refill and burp the system afterwoods.

Spot on with the coolant. Good idea to burp your baby :P

what's burping the system mean ?

can i plug the holes with my fingers while my wife changes the o-ring on the tap? LOL

also can i drain the fluid in icecream containers and use it again? of course the fluid must not be contaminated

what's burping the system mean ?

Bleeding the system of air.

can i plug the holes with my fingers while my wife changes the o-ring on the tap? LOL

also can i drain the fluid in icecream containers and use it again? of course the fluid must not be contaminated

You can try, but you will still lose some.

of course you can put your finger in the hole while your wife changes the rubber :toast:

Edited by 123R-Prozak

The bottle of coolant costs bugger all at Toyota, just out new stuff in. I hope you have big ice cream containers, the coolant system holds somewhere around 6-7L from memory.