Dealership or mechanic for service?

Wulfkind

As mentioned in another post here... My aurion has just hit 75000km and is due for it's third service since I've owned it... In the past I've had one done by Toyota and another done by an independant mechanic... I personally found that Toyota did a more thorough service in checking and adjusting the little things but I was wondering if this is just a case of a bad selection on my part for the last service

I have a quote from Toyota for this service of 430 which is about double what most mechanics have quoted and I'm leaning toward them based on the previous quality I have received from them...

So the point of this post... What is the opinion of tocau members on where to get the car serviced? I should also mention that it would be more convenient for me

to go to Toyota but not mandatory as I have some warranty issues I want them to fix

Are you planning on using Lander? I recently had my 60k service done at Lander and I found them quite good (unlike there ****** up sales department).

My advice would be to stick to Toyota servicing because the Aurion is coming of age now and I assume most third party mechanics haven't even touched an Aurion before.

As for the price I am not sure why it is so high, it looks double than what it should be.

Check out this site www.c****rvice.com.au

Until my warranty expires, I am having all my major services done at the dealer. This is a personal preference though because I like to beleive that they at Toyota would know just that little bit more than another mechanic (ie. they can connect the intelligent tester up etc). Whether or not this is the case is a different story... but I like to imagine otherwise.

That price definitely does seem high though. My 75,000km service cost me about $250 and that was providing my own oil and not requiring an air filter change.

My car just ticked over the 90,000km mark. I am really not looking forward to getting my 90,000km service. That one costs quite a bit as it is thanks to the spark plug change but as well, I'll be getting a transmission fluid change.

Check out this site www.c****rvice.com.au

The swear filter wins again. For those that can't figure it out, it is http://www.carservice.com.au/car-service-servicing-guide-2.aspx?sid=14225

Tell us how you go with Terry Shields.

You could also try Ryde Toyota, they tend to have a good reputation.

I used to do the computer systems for Ryde, Terry Shields and Noble Toyota. The owner of Ryde Toyota was a great guy and good business operator. I never meet the Terry Shields owner but the staff and middle management were jerks. And the Chief Manager for Noble as a complete *****.

I guess I'll be the different one here and say that I have never had any of my cars serviced at a dealership, nor do I plan to.

Like I have said here before, I gladly forfeited my extended warranty by having my own mechanic service my Aurion. Then again I do have a very trust worthy mechanic.

For me I feel like there is something not right about having the dealership service my car, but then again thats just me.

I guess I'll be the different one here and say that I have never had any of my cars serviced at a dealership, nor do I plan to.

Like I have said here before, I gladly forfeited my extended warranty by having my own mechanic service my Aurion. Then again I do have a very trust worthy mechanic.

For me I feel like there is something not right about having the dealership service my car, but then again thats just me.

I don't think they can forfeit any warranty if you choose a different mechanic to service your vehicle (provided he's a licensed mechanic of course)

I get mine done by mehanics who used to work for local dealership, left and set up their own buisiness many years ago. I had my camry serviced with them for 4 years and now they look after my sx6, and much cheaper than dealership servicing.

I don't think they can forfeit any warranty if you choose a different mechanic to service your vehicle (provided he's a licensed mechanic of course)

They can if non-genuine parts are used in the service and found to be the cause of a failure.

That said, I stick with dealer service on my new cars as I feel the resale is better with dealer service stamps in the book, the dealer service centers are also known to apply proactive fixes to the cars when they're in for service (eg 2GR oil line, flash updates etc)

As CHASA said, the factory warranty is still valid as long as genuine parts are used. However, the dealership I bought the car from gave me 3 years extended warranty on the condition that I had the car serviced by them, and that is what I forfeited.

Dealer.

$120 service every 15K, during the warranty period. Part of the deal.

Only for the first 60k. After that, you have around 40k in which you'll have to fork out the full amount by yourself.

i was quoted $3xx for a minor service that was outside of my "toyota advantage" servicing...

i always get my car serviced by the dealer... just piece of mind that they will do a good job... and if they dont, and something goes wrong, then its their fault... :)

$120 till 60,000kms, then $160 till 100,000kms cause i've got the extended warranty... ;)

$120 till 60,000kms, then $160 till 100,000kms cause i've got the extended warranty... ;)

the $160 bit, is that a special deal from your dealer? part of the Toyota backed extended warranty?

I've got the Toyota backed extended warranty

I go to the dealer

the the old Camry I went to the dealer until the dealer extended warranty expired

duno if I am hijacking the thread or going to be praised for using an existing thread but...

so some had good service Terry Shields, Ryde, and Waterloo City Toyota eh?

what about experience regarding less common servicing like rattles?

anyone had good experience anywhere?

I've had the dash NVH kit fitted at Sydney dealer at R******e and it didn't do much

they also failed to rectify B-pillar rattles (the report just says they secured trims)

the right panels near the centre console no longer line up

there are several scratches on the [very scratch vulnerable due to material] A-pillars

dscf5087.jpg

dscf5090b.jpg

the left is ok

dscf5092o.jpg

dscf5094y.jpg

A-pillars are scratched

dscf5095.jpg

dscf5104v.jpg

am I nitpicking?

Edited by tekkyy

So I dropped my car in at toyota (Terry Shields) today... The fellow was not impressed with the amount of complaints I had about the car... below is a list

Drivers window leaks when raining

Drivers window makes alot of noise going up and down

Centre Console lid flops about (does not lock into place)

Rattle in dash (third attempt at getting this fixed)

Rattle in aircon

Rattle in overhead console (not major, but I complained about it while the car was there)

Cavitation noise in power steering even though it has high fluid level

Chatter in steering when nearing full lock at low speed.

Transmission flare (I was told there is a software update to fix this)

VVTI Oil Line (Got the recall notice)

Shocks hiss over bumps, car dips in N/F/S over bumps (not sure if they'll tell me this is consumable)

I'm assuming they'll fix atleast some of these problems as I got a call at 4pm today to tell me the car won't be ready until late tomorrow. My usual experience is that a service is a same day thing with Terry Shields.

Well, I got the car back today, finally, heres what went down:

Drivers window leaks when raining - NFF not sure how they could not see water pouring into the window, but I'll take it up again next time

Drivers window makes alot of noise going up and down - Electric motor replaced

Centre Console lid flops about (does not lock into place) - Actually forgot to tell them about this one

Rattle in dash (third attempt at getting this fixed) - Have to rebook

Rattle in aircon - replaced vents

Rattle in overhead console (not major, but I complained about it while the car was there) - they did something, not sure, sound is gone

Cavitation noise in power steering even though it has high fluid level - NFF - never heard a healthy system make that kind of noise, but they claim it to be OK

Chatter in steering when nearing full lock at low speed. - NFF

Transmission flare (I was told there is a software update to fix this) - Replaced TCM Assy, haven't had a chance to check whether it is fixed or not

VVTI Oil Line (Got the recall notice) - Done

Shocks hiss over bumps, car dips in N/F/S over bumps (not sure if they'll tell me this is consumable) - NFF, shocks are apparently in good cond.

Well, I got the car back today, finally, heres what went down:

Drivers window leaks when raining - NFF not sure how they could not see water pouring into the window, but I'll take it up again next time

Drivers window makes alot of noise going up and down - Electric motor replaced

Centre Console lid flops about (does not lock into place) - Actually forgot to tell them about this one

Rattle in dash (third attempt at getting this fixed) - Have to rebook

Rattle in aircon - replaced vents

Rattle in overhead console (not major, but I complained about it while the car was there) - they did something, not sure, sound is gone

Cavitation noise in power steering even though it has high fluid level - NFF - never heard a healthy system make that kind of noise, but they claim it to be OK

Chatter in steering when nearing full lock at low speed. - NFF

Transmission flare (I was told there is a software update to fix this) - Replaced TCM Assy, haven't had a chance to check whether it is fixed or not

VVTI Oil Line (Got the recall notice) - Done

Shocks hiss over bumps, car dips in N/F/S over bumps (not sure if they'll tell me this is consumable) - NFF, shocks are apparently in good cond.

Whats NFF?

I go to the dealer

the the old Camry I went to the dealer until the dealer extended warranty expired

duno if I am hijacking the thread or going to be praised for using an existing thread but...

so some had good service Terry Shields, Ryde, and Waterloo City Toyota eh?

what about experience regarding less common servicing like rattles?

anyone had good experience anywhere?

I've had the dash NVH kit fitted at Sydney dealer at R******e and it didn't do much

they also failed to rectify B-pillar rattles (the report just says they secured trims)

the right panels near the centre console no longer line up

there are several scratches on the [very scratch vulnerable due to material] A-pillars

dscf5087.jpg

dscf5090b.jpg

the left is ok

dscf5092o.jpg

dscf5094y.jpg

A-pillars are scratched

dscf5095.jpg

dscf5104v.jpg

am I nitpicking?

That sucks mate, I checked mine, both are aligned. But that is because my car never had dash rattles and its a 07 mode.

And that scratch is horrid. I would get them to change it if they did it.