aurion sportivo or MY08 liberty gt

wil_rolla

hey guys

my sister is in need of a new car,, and she's not real sure on which to get..

so i'm after some pro's and con's on the two..

MY08 liberty GT, is 2.5lt turbo, manual, leather, and sunroof..

both are aprox same price,,

any help guys??

cheers wil

Yeah new Liberty is ugly as all sin, is the clown that ruined most of the BMW range now working at Subaru? first the Tribeca then the Impreza and the Outback and now they've screwed the new Liberty. The old one was a much nicer car so perhaps a GT "Tuned By STI" would be the go? there not a bad thing at all.

i almost bought a liberty Gt with my last car purchase and this is what i found.

Aurion:

Pros-

* Cheaper to insure

* More Space

* more economic

* you can use any fuel from E10 to premium

* Cheaper to Service

* Mechanically most likely last alot longer than subaru

Cons-

* often seen as a boring car

* Handling not in the same league as subaru

* Less class or prestige as some would say.

* alot of Aurions starting to be seen on the road.

Liberty Gt:

Pros-

* Classy car

* AWD handling

* Power

* modifications unlimited ( to a certain degree)

* lots of performance parts.

* more Nimble and agile, easier to park

Cons-

* Expensive to run

* Requires premium only

* Expensive to Service.

* Parts expensive

* smaller car ( depends on your needs)

* more attractive to Thieves.

this is what i wrote down and i purchase my last car, hope this helps.

thanks for the replies,,

the sportivo is a 07 modle, white with only 7,000km, ex demo, it's the ZR6 with lether.. price is $32,990

the liberty is also a 07, but they call it a MY08, it has lether, sunroof, bilstien sus, 2.5 turbo same as new wrx, with 85,000km.. price is $33,388..

the liberty is the older shape 4GEN (imo the best shape that they ever have made), not the new ugly shape..

the sti is out of the qestion, they are $45k+

insurance is $500 cheaper for the sporitvo,

fuel avg 9.5lt/100km, to 11.9/100km, sportivo's way agian..

service fee is cheaper for the sportivo, not to mention that the liberty has it's major service coming up in less the 15,000km.. (100,000km service)

i'd prob go for the liberty, cause i can mod it and i would also track it,,

my sister on the other hand won't be,, she'll just drive it to and from work..

how do you guys think the sportivo will hold it's price in say 5yrs time??

in 3 years the liberty has droped from $60k to $33k thats almost 50%.. subies don't seem to hold their vaule..

took the liberty for a test drive on monday, and it wasn't all that fast,, 185kw, but heavy..

and when pushed hard, the trip comp said 18.8lt/100km!!! :blink::blink:

handled great tho.. :)

Edited by wil_rolla

Having read all that I would recommend the Aurion over the Liberty because it is the smarter move money wise.

Although the liberty has done the majority of its depreciation already the engine in already a tweenager while the Aurion is barely at puberty.

One thing to keep in mind is the warranty period.

Get the Aurion with the extended warranty.

Having read all that I would recommend the Aurion over the Liberty because it is the smarter move money wise.

Although the liberty has done the majority of its depreciation already the engine in already a tweenager while the Aurion is barely at puberty.

One thing to keep in mind is the warranty period.

Get the Aurion with the extended warranty.

Aurion comes with 3years extended warranty, and the liberty comes with used car warranty 12months

or 175,000km..

i too think the Aurion is a smarter buy, and i also think that libert will lose a lot more value after

it hits the 100kkm

after reading about the kms on the liberty, i would definitely say to go with the aurion...

85,000kms vs 7,000kms... thats a MASSIVE difference. and to me, its big enough to warrant not getting the GT over the aurion...

just personal opinion though. :)

In 5 years time , the value of each car will depend alot on each cars condition and the klms travelled.

5 years of average klms (conservatively , lets say 15,000) = 75 000 plus the existing klms on the Liberty = ALOT of klms

if it was equal milage...

go the GT... awd + turbo = winnar

i still do not feel at all safe in the aurion in the wet.

I agree..

I hope the next generation of Aurions have an AWD option.

For the same price....... The Liberty hands down. It is quicker, will handle better and is more unique.

The new Liberty is fugly!

i saw one the other day and boy is it ugly its like a nissan maxima.... these big ugly oval things.... but i love the 06 liberty just not the new one

I agree..

new generation??? doubt the'd change to awd otherwise camry's would also have to change to awd as aurions based on camry chasis/drive train

That’s a big difference in kays especially since the Aurion is cheaper... kind of hard to miss that opportunity. Shame the STi versions are still quite expensive they are a good drive bit soft in the body and chassis but still a good quality vehicle though.

Freddo, on 28 April 2010 - 04:55 PM, said:

mm wow that’s interesting, I’d actually say that my car feels really solid and sure footed in the wet...

Toyota has promised great things from its next large car, stiffer stronger more advanced suspension set up and one can only imagine other technology such as Direct Injection will also be part of the package. AWD was looked at in the original Aurion plan but Japan said no. when the Aurion gets more power it will need more grip!

That's funny how Subaru popular in Australia. It is AWD, one don't need it here. May be some marketing trick.

Secondly turbo is always bad compare to non turbo similar power, V8 always better that V6 turbo, V6 better that 2.5T. Turbo is poor mans choice, 335 BMW is V6T, M3 is V8. Never buy a turbo if you can buy same power non turbo.

I will be buying Subaru only in snow conditions.

Edited by avstral

You need good tires. Aurion is very user friendly, if it start loosing traction you will feel it before bad happens. Personally I was driving it to Gold Coast from Melbourne via Dubbo this NYE, if you remember there was very heavy rains, flooding there. On speeds that you dont want to speak about on public forums, Aurion drives like it on rails, very good.

Edited by avstral

If i was made of money, i would have bought the Subaru, my old boss had a V6 AWD wagon, not sure of the exact model. Now if you think the Aurion has some grunt, well yes it does, but all 4 wheels in a manual putting the power to the ground snaps you back into your seat pretty well. That being said, im still happy that we bought the Aurion.

took the liberty for a test drive on monday, and it wasn't all that fast,, 185kw, but heavy..

and when pushed hard, the trip comp said 18.8lt/100km!!! :blink::blink:

handled great tho.. :)

Might as well get a holden for a thirsty car.. :lol:

If i was made of money, i would have bought the Subaru, my old boss had a V6 AWD wagon, not sure of the exact model. Now if you think the Aurion has some grunt, well yes it does, but all 4 wheels in a manual putting the power to the ground snaps you back into your seat pretty well. That being said, im still happy that we bought the Aurion.

Wrong..

If I were made of money, I would've mod it like nuts. Such nuts mod could be like making your aurion a convertible & air suspension. :toast:

Toyota has promised great things from its next large car, stiffer stronger more advanced suspension set up and one can only imagine other technology such as Direct Injection will also be part of the package. AWD was looked at in the original Aurion plan but Japan said no. when the Aurion gets more power it will need more grip!

My guess is that they will focus alot more on fuel economy with direct injection.

Surely they don't need to worry about power, that's pretty much already sorted.

For example ,Mazda is making claims that their next generation of "Sky engines" will be 30% more efficient.

http://http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-news/sky_engines_will_cut_mazda_fuel_30

The model that replaces the Aurion should be out in 2012 ?

Edited by prometheus

hey guys there was a advertising error with the sportivo it actully had 22,000km on the clock.. still not too bad..

anyways,, long story short... my sister has put down a deposit on the liberty gt..

i know it's a great car on all levels, but i'm not sure it's the best choice for running costs..

i'll keep you guys updated on what happens..

thanks again for all the reply's..

wil