The most powerful pod filter

Grey-Rolla

it sounds like afew of you guy's out there are using Drift filters..

i was told that they have poor filteration, but good flow (better the Kn'N)...

does anyone know which filter has good filteration?? same say 3A??

and is it true that oiled filters filter beter then dry??

i need better filter then flow as i live on a dirt road... but i can't go on without an CAI :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any filter has to be a trade off of air flow vs filtration.

My understanding is an oil filter is better than high density foam or gauze because the particles stick to the filter rather than have to be trapped by it, but the trade off is more maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
The Drift brand ones are dry :)

I got bored so I put it on my CAI about an hour ago... My car was already warm from driving today so I didn't get to hear the cold engine hiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...

Whilst it seemed similar if not the same in terms of power (compared to the old K&N that it replaced), it definitely made more noise - which is exactly what I like :D not only the accelleration noise above 4000RPM but also the "huff and puff" sort of noises when you apply the throttle or take your foot off to change gear.

$35.99 well spent

where can u get these Drift filters from?

Drift is an Autobarn brand :)

ooohhh kool, do u remember the model number for it? And also would u know the model number for the k & n one that u had

thanks

All the Drift info you need can be found using this link.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/which-pod-filter...u-use-t467.html

The part number doesn't really matter, just depends whether you want 1) stainless steel top or urethane top (up to you!), and 2) 3" or 4" neck (you want 3").

The K&N pod part number is around this forum somewhere. In a thread started by danthuyer or someone... From memory it's something like RX3900 - 1 or something stupid like that. Basically, once again, choose whichever one you want a get the 3" neck, simple as that.

All the Drift info you need can be found using this link.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/which-pod-filter...u-use-t467.html

The part number doesn't really matter, just depends whether you want 1) stainless steel top or urethane top (up to you!), and 2) 3" or 4" neck (you want 3").

The K&N pod part number is around this forum somewhere. In a thread started by danthuyer or someone... From memory it's something like RX3900 - 1 or something stupid like that. Basically, once again, choose whichever one you want a get the 3" neck, simple as that.

thanks, yeh i got the k&n rx3900-1 with the 3" neck, but it didn't seem to fit as it was too large cause the trd one is 2.75inches... when i tried to put the k&n one, it kept on popping out even with metal ring tighten up, any ideas why?

You want to ask Danz, he is the celica nut around here.

What do you mean about more torque? You can't expect massive power or torque before about 5700RPM because before that point you are still on the low cam (economy).

• 2 weeks later...
Just tighten the f@cker like there's no tomorrow!

And then a bit more for good measure

did u guys take off the front kit to tighten this? cause i was doin it through the small foglight hole.... which was impossible to tighten, i was tightening it before putting it on...

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask how does the engine oil look with that autobarn drift filter? Is it dirtier? Is it doing a good job trapping 5h!t ????

How dirty is it now?

Trying to decide between drift and apexi ...........

Guni, no noticable change in engine oil colour when it's draining mate. And Apexi vs Drift... you could buy 10 Drift for 1 Apexi, but if money is no object then I think everyone here would go for Apexi, but the point of the Drift was bang for buck.

3A Racing Pod filter? :D

Ebay item number : 200225448988

http://www.3aracing.com.au/

click on air filters then the review link, won best for flow rate and 2nd for filtration. I'll probably be getting one of these this week for when my TRD cai arrives from the GB.

its cheap too. I'll be calling to see which shop stock's these pods.

3A Racing Pod filter? :D

Ebay item number : 200225448988

http://www.3aracing.com.au/

click on air filters then the review link, won best for flow rate and 2nd for filtration. I'll probably be getting one of these this week for when my TRD cai arrives from the GB.

its cheap too. I'll be calling to see which shop stock's these pods.

Cools. Possible to find out vic's as well? :P

Cools. Possible to find out vic's as well? :P

sorry guni just saw your comment, didn't check vic's avail or stockers, but did buy one today, cost me $30 from AUTOQUIP in burwood westfield. they have them for sale for $40.00 but after i spoke to distributors (which have an 03 number so avail in vic should be ok i think) he called the shop and said i was coming and to do a good price for me....i sort of told the lady there that all my mates were going to come and get them too if it was a good filter and she did a good price.....hehe

• 2 months later...
Nice one schmicko let us know how it goes.

Dylan I bought mine today, $35.99, the urethane-topped one, did you get that one or the steel-top? I remember you said $35 so that's the one I got.

I'll put it on tonight...

I've got a Drift-branded filter and I'm not much of a fan of it. It sounds quite terrible, plus my fuel consumption went up moderately. I'm now getting on average 50km less to a tank, same everything else.

• 4 months later...
Nice one schmicko let us know how it goes.

Dylan I bought mine today, $35.99, the urethane-topped one, did you get that one or the steel-top? I remember you said $35 so that's the one I got.

I'll put it on tonight...

I've got a Drift-branded filter and I'm not much of a fan of it. It sounds quite terrible, plus my fuel consumption went up moderately. I'm now getting on average 50km less to a tank, same everything else.

Not surprised, more air in engine= more fuel that is able to be delivered.

I believe that 3A racing is the best in terms of filtration and airflow. Here's the article from Autosalon

http://www.3aracing.com.au/HTML%20Folder/I...Shoot%20Out.pdf

I don't like tests that use dyno readings as they don't show what the air filter really does. Those results can vary, due to intake system , heat soak and other variables.

You can pick up a 3A filter at either drdrift.com.au(Vic) or carbling.com.au (Syd). Both are around the same price $27 If you find one on ebay, it's most probs the Carbling one, but it's 35 alone at a 'buy it now' price.

Edited by sv21_ownR