What did you do to your car today?

Once again, not so much what I did with my car today, more-so what I did to it yesterday. Yesterday I modified my intake a little because I wanted to get rid of the rubber flexi hose that was there. At the moment it is just in a testing phase so it is not what the final solution will look like. Close to, but now that I have found that it is performing as expected, I will be cleaning it up in the morning to make it all neater:

di-14130590335011.jpg

With that said, the above photo comes with a story to tell. Yesterday afternoon, the car was driving perfectly fine up until the point where I went to 999 Automotive to pick up the bits and pieces for my intake. When I leave the place, it drives fine for a few hundred metres or so and then when I come to a stop at the lights, I feel the car surging a bit and notice the revs drop to 500RPM (about 200-300 lower than normal). After a few seconds, the revs stabilise and all seems normal again.

The when I accelerate off gently, I notice it has this rather pronounced flat spot between 1000RPM and 1500RPM... after which it drove normally. I definitely knew something was up but I didn't really care too much and just figured that I'll be playing with the intake anyways and can give it an ECU reset and see how that goes. I drive to Autobarn to get some more pieces and stop the engine.

When I go to leave, I noticed it started a little funny and the revs dropped to about 500RPM and the surging happened again. A few seconds later it seemed to work itself out. So I continued on my way. As I was driving out, I was in some start-stop traffic and as I was lightly applying the brakes, the revs spiked all of a sudden and I nearly rear ended the car in front. I was getting annoyed now. I thought it won't be far to get home so I'll just take it easy. As I continue along the way, I get the following:

di-1213059033689.jpg

Didn't really surprise me. All it did was confirm that I wasn't imagining things. Anyways, I decide to read the code and got this. Oh the irony (in that I bought bits for the intake, and got a code related to the air/fuel mix):

di-1113059034016.png

I immediately had an idea as to what the problem was, but I just told myself that I will fix it when I get home. I only had to stop by Bunnings on the way so I got that out of the way first. One thing to note that was after the initial flat spot, once the car was moving faster than about 20km/h, it seemed normal... even under heavy acceleration. It didn't go into limp mode or anything.

So anyways, I get home and look straight to the rear of the supercharger. As per my expectation, I observed the following:

di-1513059033806.jpg

I knew to look here because Ash (SecaBoy) reported of the same issue with his some time ago and the fault was something I had kept in my head. Basically it is the vacuum line for the S/C bypass valve actuator. This bit of hose is really loose fitting on the TRD's and in this case it managed to get a fair deal of oil built up on it which led to it sliding off enough to leak the vacuum. When there is no vacuum applied to the valve, the S/C will produce boost as the bypass valve remains closed, and when the engine is idling, this extra boost was upsetting the engine as it was not expecting this.

So anyways, I took the hose off and since I didn't have any other hose to suit, I ran some degreaser through this one to clean it up and thoroughly cleaning the ports that it connects to. Even still, the hose was rather loose fitting, so I took the next step:

di-1413059033929.jpg

That should buy me some time until I can get some tighter fitting hose. I cleared the code and the car runs normal again.

Nice one man :D. I love reading your posts about your car. They're always interesting B). Instead of buying a tighter house and getting rid of an original hose, why just buy the things that as you screw get tighter around the hose? No clue what their name is.

... why just buy the things that as you screw get tighter around the hose? No clue what their name is.

1c cable tie that I have already vs. $1 hose clamp that I need to go out and buy.

I'm pretty sure the cable tie is working. I will replace the hose eventually though because I probably should. May be experimenting with the operation of that valve anyways.

Today I revised my intake. Got a new filter which was shorter in length which enables me to extend the pipe prior to the MAF so that the flow is more even as it reaches the MAF. Removed the bracket for the old air box and cleaned up the area around the filter so that when it moves with the engine movement, it will not make contact with anything around it.

Took her for a test drive and she still feels like she is pulling just as hard, so I'm happy so far. I guess the run at the drags next Wednesday will ensure she hasn't lost any power.

di-713059489004.jpg

... why just buy the things that as you screw get tighter around the hose? No clue what their name is.

1c cable tie that I have already vs. $1 hose clamp that I need to go out and buy.

I'm pretty sure the cable tie is working. I will replace the hose eventually though because I probably should. May be experimenting with the operation of that valve anyways.

I have plenty lying around the garage. I'll give you a couple :lol:

Was Friday not today, but finally dropped my FXGT front bar off to get painted.....much happiness awaits its return.

Was really bored, so I covered the window frame area (Not sure what it is exactly called.) in black PVC tape, the exposed paint area bugged me since day one. Not perfect (Tape wasn't wide enough. Had to do another layer to cover the exposed edge on the other side.), but will redo it with wider tape when I'm back down under.

p1050708.jpg

p1050712.jpg

Edited by ToyotaFreak