Fuel Consumption

ae102r

1997 1.8L

best fuel consumption 650km/40L 100octane fuel. on freeway being gentle most of the time (only hit 200 once)

worst is 300km/40L flooring it the whole way just before i lost my licence the other week 100octane fuel.

Exactly how worked is that poor 7A?

Unless you have some serious, serious mods done to it (exhaust and pod filter are NOT serious mods), 100RON fuel is an extremely expensive waste. Freeway cruising you can get the same economy out of 91 or 95 easily, so the higher grade fuel is a total waste (unless your compression is so high that you need 100, which I highly doubt)

Man, you guys get 450km+ ?

I'm happy if I get to 400k.

I've got a 04 Corolla hatch?

Should I get it checked out?

When I go to fill up I usually get till up around 35L?

Does that mean I've atleast another 20L to use as the red light comes on?

Edited by Scandrew

Man, you guys get 450km+ ?

I'm happy if I get to 400k.

I've got a 04 Corolla hatch?

Should I get it checked out?

When I go to fill up I usually get till up around 35L?

Does that mean I've atleast another 20L to use as the red light comes on?

Depends on how close you get your needle to the red :) If you are driving at a steady pace, with no rapid acceleration then yeah get youer vehicle checked out. It also depends on what type of driving you do mainly ... city or highway.

You should have 10L or so before the fuel light comes on.

Yeah roughly how much can we drive when the fuel light comes on, as I feel uneasy seeing it.?????

When the fuel light comes on there is 10L's left. So you would be able to travel 100kms no problem when the light comes on.

Scandrew, 400kms on 35L of fuel gives you economy of about 8.75L/100kms. That's pretty high but definately the factor of whether you drive auto or manual, city of highway will affect. My uncles got an auto 1zz and he gets about 450kms out of the tank with mixed driving so I don't think you need to get your car checked.

Another thing to mention is that the stivo's have 5L extra capactiy of 55L than the 1zz's 50L tank.

Yeah roughly how much can we drive when the fuel light comes on, as I feel uneasy seeing it.?????

Not sure ... have had a few of my friends refer to it as the go home light. Personally I prefer to never let the light shine ... and if it does I head to a servo ASAP. At the end of the day distance to travel all depends on personal driving style.

When the fuel light comes on there is 10L's left. So you would be able to travel 100kms no problem when the light comes on.

Scandrew, 400kms on 35L of fuel gives you economy of about 8.75L/100kms. That's pretty high but definately the factor of whether you drive auto or manual, city of highway will affect. My uncles got an auto 1zz and he gets about 450kms out of the tank with mixed driving so I don't think you need to get your car checked.

Another thing to mention is that the stivo's have 5L extra capactiy of 55L than the 1zz's 50L tank.

The new Corollas (at least May06 onwards) have a 55L tank ... guess the Engineers realised that there are some really good points about the Stivos that should be sent throughout the entire range.

Hiro Protagonist. ur correct i havent changed the compression. and your correct the poor 7a isnt running a blower. 100 octane gives me noticable throtal responce over 98...so the extra 2$ per tank isnt realy something im going to bitch and moan about. my exhaust smells different when i run it :yahoo::yahoo: its all in fun man. the harder i rape my little car the happier i am. atm ive got the whole thing in 1000pieces in my garage :toast:

Hiro Protagonist. ur correct i havent changed the compression. and your correct the poor 7a isnt running a blower. 100 octane gives me noticable throtal responce over 98...so the extra 2$ per tank isnt realy something im going to bitch and moan about. my exhaust smells different when i run it :yahoo::yahoo: its all in fun man. the harder i rape my little car the happier i am. atm ive got the whole thing in 1000pieces in my garage :toast:

Maybe so, but is it worth the extra $10 over 91, to give almost the same performance and economy? $10 a tank, over a year (assuming 2 weeks/tank) gives a total saving of $260, enough for 4-5 extra full tanks. I'm not saying that there is anything physically wrong with 100, but in most cases it's just not worth it for an engine that was designed to run on 91.

I've noticed my fuel consumption has gone up about 1L per 100km (From 8.2 to 9.2) after I changed over to 17" wheels.

Don't know why...

Increased weight + rolling resistance

There can be a huge weight difference between stock 14/15" wheels and 17" aftermarket ones with wide tyres.

i get my licence back this thursday and my sportivo is empty on fuel, ive only used normal unleaded since ive started driving, which one should i use for the sportivo?

u shouldnt be using any thing less than 95 as the manual / fuel cap says (premium unleaded only) but 98 is stil the best - for the 2 bucks more its worth it in the extra ks / performance (98 = 4 cents more a litre than 95)

Edited by steinny72

• 1 month later...

i find the only petrol that will give me good mileage is Mobil 8000

used 50 litres on 700k (all city driving) with AC on constantly

im very happy with that

it seems the others such as shell, caltex, bp 98RON's give better performance but alot less k's

Edited by steinny72

I usually get about 600k's on a full tank in my 1ZZ-FE Auto sedan.. What should we be filling up for the best results for the 1ZZ-FE engine? I've been using normal 95unleaded.. LOL guys I work @ a caltex, Vortex GOLD is a mixture between 91-98 octane.

the caltex near me dont have 98 at night so i was forced to put in 95, i got 325km for a bit more than half a tank, this is with some lift and heaps of a/c :D , than i put some vortex 98 in and got 350km for half a tank with lot more lift and bit more a/c, oh and i bought a tom's panel filter b4 i had the 98 in, maybe that helps it a little bit

Used 50 litres (filled up as soon as light came on) travelled 550km on BP ULTIMATE

all city driving..... not too bad....equates to prob 650 or bit more km if i ran her to the limit

constant AC also

cheers