The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where I can get a rear spoiler brake lamp for a ae112 corolla at a reasonable price? Toyota quoted me $425.

Toyota wreckers?

That's an option. Was thinking of ordering it from here

EDIT: Ended up getting it from Sydney Special Vehicles (SSV) for $60

• 2 weeks later...

maybe a REAL stupid question:

can you spray WD40 on the car key and insert it into the barrel and use it to lubricate the insides? i know some cars i drive i cannot turn the damn key in the ignition...

^ Whilst this may work initially, I have always heard that you shouldn't use oil or anything like that to lubricate locks. This will only end up attracting dirt etc to stick to it making the problem worse in the future. You should only really use something like graphite powder.

You can get it in a 'puffer bottle' which lets you 'puff some into the tumbler (think like a bottle of talc powder and how can make it puff out of the bottle). Providing it hasn't seized, you then turn the key several times to get the inside covered and repeat as required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

guys, i painted the cornices then my uncles goes inside the house and advises me to restump... FML... so my question is that will the cornices most likely crack or just the walls? becuz i spent fcking 2 days on the cornices only to know that it may crack and i have to patch it again. the walls crack, i dont mind becuz i havent touched them yet.

and if i do patch it again, will i see the new paint patch even when i only painted the cornices 3 days ago? i'm over it. FML.

I did some cornice work in summer, and now with winter upon us, I have small cracks between the cornice and the ceiling. So being the bearer of bad news, I'd say restumping will cause some seperation. It's not all doom and gloom though; if you run a new bead of plaster along the cracks, and sand them back, add a coat of paint, they should be fine again. Just more effort though :(

I have a room with twisted cornice from when they were put up in the 70s, and is going to give me grief tying into the build-in wardrobe I added. I could recornice the whole room, but then I'm in for some pain removing all the cornice cement. I could replace the ceiling as well, but then I have to stuff around with the insulation again.

thats bad news for me SD, but i guess by the time annual comes i would have finished painting the house by then...

the guy did jack up some part of the beams and dug a couple of holes, so already in the process of doing the restumping and leveling. i just dread doing those cornices, such a pain in the a$$crack

• 1 month later...

heres another one thats been bugging me:

why the FU#K do the spanish risk their lives by having the Pamplona bull run? I have no bloody clue as to why they do it? they must think along the lines of "you will get 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 virgins if u die by this bull here in Madrid. <_< -_-

apparently its a sport,

Edit:

Bull fighting is very closely associated with Spain and can trace its origins back to 711 A.D. This is when the first bullfight took place in celebration for the crowning of King Alfonso VIII. It is very popular in Spain with several thousand Spaniards flocking to their local bull-ring each week. It is said that the total number of people watching bullfights in Spain reaches one million every year.

Bullfighting was originally a sport for the aristocracy and took place on horseback. King Felipe V took exception to the sport however and banned the aristocracy from taking part, believing it to be a bad example to the public. After the ban commoners accepted the sport as their own and, since they could not afford horses, developed the practice of dodging the bulls on foot, unarmed. This transformation occurred around 1724.

So what happens during a bullfight?:

Firstly the bull is let into the ring. Then, the top bullfighter called the Matador, watches his chief assistant wave a bright yellow and magenta cape in front of the bull to make it charge. He watches this in order to determine the bull's qualities and mood, before taking over himself.

Then a trumpet is sounded and several fighters called Picadores weaken the bull by placing spears into it. This takes around 10 minutes.

Another trumpet is sounded and the Matador now removes his black winged hat and dedicates the death of the bull to the president or the crowd before beginning his faena.

The faena which is the most beautiful and skillful section of the fight and where the matador must prove his courage and artistry. The faena consists of a running at the Matador carrying a muleta. This is a piece of thick crimson cloth draped over a short stick, which can be held in either the left hand or draped over the espada, the killing sword, which is always held in the right hand. Usually the muleta, in left or right hand, is first held in front of the matador to make the bull charge and is then swung across and away from the matador's body hopefully taking the bull with it.

This is a show, basically a dance with death - one wrong move and the Matador could become impaled on the horns of the bull. It is the Matador's job to make this dance dramatic and enjoyable for the audience.

The faena continues until the Matador has demonstrated his superiority over the bull. Once this is achieved the bull is ready to be killed.

The matador stands some ten feet from the bull, keeping the bull fixated on the muleta and aims the espada between the shoulder blades. The matador attacks pushing the espada over the horns and deep between the shoulder blades. If the sword goes in to the hilt it is an estocada but if it hits bone it is a pinchazo or media-estocada. An estocada usually results in the bull dropping immediately to its knees and dying, but if the bull fails to die the matador may take the descabello (a sword with a short cross piece at the end) which he stabs into the bull's neck severing the spinal cord. The fight is over.

The matador may be awarded trophies by the president, according to his skill in working with the bull, which can be one or two ears from the bull, the tail and the hoof. The crowd will often encourage the president to award the trophies by waving white hankerchiefs, and this waving continues after the trophies have been awarded in an attempt to get the matador to throw his trophies into the crowd. The crowd in return hurls flowers which are collected by the matador's assistants.

- http://www.spain-info.com/Culture/bullfighting.htm -

I know that this is regarding a post from a couple of months ago.. but here it is anyway

Locks from the factory on a lot of cars have grease in them, because the grease is designed to be on machinery that moves a lot quicker and frequently than what locks do after a while it can start causing issues from hardening. New locks do have synthetic grease in them that isn't as bad as it works better on slower moving parts.

When locks start to play up it can be a couple of things:

Worn keys - lubricating the lock might make it feel better for a while but because the key is worn it will start to wear the lock out quicker as nothing will align properly, the best fix is to get a new key cut to code. A half good locksmith will be able to do this with just the key, the other option is Toyota stamp the mechanical key code on the driver’s side door lock, as long as the car hasn't been re- keyed this should be correct ( Never had one stamped wrong yet)

Crap in the lock- Over the years you will get all sorts of crap built up in the lock, spraying graphite into the lock WILL NOT FIX THIS, personally I hate graphite and don't even have it in the car, the only time it is good for locks is if they are clean to begin with. For many years now I have been using WD-40, this will flush out a lot of the crap in your lock that is causing the issue, if it starts playing up again in another 12 months spray some more in. If you really want to wash them out you will have to remove the lock, soaking it in shellite will break up the grease and loosen the grit that attaches to the springs and wafers in the lock.

Keep in mind that the more worn your lock is the more tolerance there is in it, this means that someone with a similarly cut key might be able to get their key to work in your lock, Nissans are really good for this.

TL;DR

Graphite is crap for locks, WD-40 is not bad for them. The cost to get the locks pulled apart and cleaned/ lubricated isn’t worth it unless your car is really old and the locks are flogged out.

heres another one thats been bugging me:

why the FU#K do the spanish risk their lives by having the Pamplona bull run? I have no bloody clue as to why they do it? they must think along the lines of "you will get 10000000000000000000000000000000000000 virgins if u die by this bull here in Madrid. <_< -_-

Tradition goes a loooong way. Plenty of traditional things around the world would not be allowed on safety or sanity reasons if they hadn't already been going on for hundreds of years. Classic case of Grandfather Clause. The Monaco GP is another example, if it were to leave the grand prix calendar it wouldn't be allowed to return because the circuit would be deemed unsafe under current regulations.

The amazing thing is that only 15 people have died in the Bull Run in the last 90 years...

Is it safe enough to use the boot jack? I've had a jack failure in the past that almost took my foot off, so I'm scared sad.gif

Otherwise I'll give it a try.

The other thing is, with the whiteline rear sway being installed on a 05 sportivo, do you need bushings, cos none came with it...

Never get under a car supported only by a jack. Hence the reference to blocks.

When cows laugh, does milk come out of their noses?

Also if cows eat chocolate does that make chocolate milk and if you shake a cow does that make milkshakes?

Yes